Texas Fishing Forum

looking for a clear lake

Posted By: Madatu

looking for a clear lake - 03/19/18 12:14 PM

i live in Rockwall,Tx. my father n law bought an under water camera so he can see the fish he catches. Aqua View or something like it. i told him i did not think it would work on the lakes around us. It did not. I heard Possum Kingdom is but it is three hours away. is there a closer lake that you can think of ?
Posted By: kodys'papa

Re: looking for a clear lake - 03/19/18 12:35 PM

I returned ours for that reason
Pk and canyon come to mind but none around here
Posted By: chascat

Re: looking for a clear lake - 03/19/18 01:37 PM

We had a Aqua View and returned it also. It worked fair here at Canyon up to about 10' deep.
After that you could could not see because of the plankton. Deeper you got the more it looked like outer
space. If it is a wide angle it may do pretty good up to that 10' depth.
Posted By: Capt Craig

Re: looking for a clear lake - 03/19/18 02:39 PM

Texas lakes all have an issue with turbidity. Turbidity is the invisible suspended particles in water. In most Texas lakes, you will have fairly good light penetration to about 6 feet. After 6 feet the amount of light that penetrates is greatly reduced. The degree of turbidity in the water also effects the light penetration, as does rain, runoff, and winds.

Some lakes may have slightly better visibility but not what is often required in order to run a camera. I spent more than 30 years as a SCUBA diver and instructor. I have done a lot of salvage in lakes in Texas and Oklahoma. By the time you reach 20 feet of depth, there is little light and visibility can be a few inches.

The cameras can be fun in northern states and the ocean, but not locally.
Posted By: PKfishin

Re: looking for a clear lake - 03/19/18 03:01 PM

PK can be very clear but spring rains can lessen this allot. You could try Lake Murray across the line in OK. It has lots of Zebra mussels and is as clear as a swimming pool.
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: looking for a clear lake - 03/19/18 03:44 PM

Whitney is clear isnt it?
Posted By: SteveStrasemeier

Re: looking for a clear lake - 03/19/18 08:05 PM

Whitney is the first lake that comes to mind. Certain times of the year it can be clear.
Posted By: Eric

Re: looking for a clear lake - 03/19/18 08:37 PM

I think Lake Athes use dto have scuba classes. Looks a lot better then Cedar Creek
Posted By: Bob Browne

Re: looking for a clear lake - 03/19/18 08:52 PM

Whitney and Squaw Creek.
Posted By: Capt Craig

Re: looking for a clear lake - 03/19/18 09:40 PM

Unless something has changed in Lake Murray, it is not as clear as a swimming pool. I have dove there a hundred times. Vis is a foot at most.
Posted By: jbobo

Re: looking for a clear lake - 03/20/18 12:01 AM

I was at Murray in Oklahoma about 10 yrs ago fishing for small mouth and could see them on the bottom watching my Carolina rig in 18 ft of water. I don’t know what it’s like now.
Posted By: PKfishin

Re: looking for a clear lake - 03/20/18 04:19 PM

Capt Craig: Are we talking about the same lake?

Water was super clear when I was there.

Posted By: Gnab2

Re: looking for a clear lake - 03/22/18 03:20 AM

Most of the Hill Country lakes will be clear do to the rocks.
Posted By: Madatu

Re: looking for a clear lake - 03/22/18 12:38 PM

thanks everyone for your input.
Posted By: Fishin' Nut

Re: looking for a clear lake - 03/22/18 04:46 PM

Catch Alan Henry at the right time and it is gin clear water.
Posted By: Dad2rlkm

Re: looking for a clear lake - 04/03/18 07:50 PM

Agree on Whitney and Squaw Creek. I have seen them gin clear.
Posted By: Notaguide

Re: looking for a clear lake - 04/03/18 09:02 PM

Tenkiller has the clearest water I’ve seen
Posted By: Bob Browne

Re: looking for a clear lake - 04/04/18 04:39 PM

I took my basic open water scuba certification at Squaw Creek in October, 1984. In the deep water swimming through the trees, you could see a good 20 feet. From a boat you could look down into the submerged stone houses probably a good 15 feet.
Posted By: TCK73

Re: looking for a clear lake - 04/04/18 04:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Bob Browne
I took my basic open water scuba certification at Squaw Creek in October, 1984. In the deep water swimming through the trees, you could see a good 20 feet. From a boat you could look down into the submerged stone houses probably a good 15 feet.

I have not been there since 1993 when I did my checkout dive. It was November, and 3' Vis.
Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Re: looking for a clear lake - 04/06/18 07:09 AM

Broken bow lake Is usually very clear as well, and Texoma can be like an aquarium on the east end if there hasn’t been a ton of runoff.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum