Texas Fishing Forum

Green Lights

Posted By: oakpointaggie

Green Lights - 03/13/18 01:04 AM

What time of year and conditions is fishing under submerged lights the best? I just finished getting all my green LED's on my boat and was wondering if spring is any good at night with green LED lights.

Thank you for your input.
Posted By: Fish Meister

Re: Green Lights - 03/13/18 01:31 AM

Used to fish with my uncle growing up at Hubbard with lights for Crappie. We usually went in the Summer. Didnt have green lights back then. Let us know how you do.
Posted By: crapicat

Re: Green Lights - 03/13/18 01:54 AM

If you are out fishing in the evening and the fish are biting right at dark...turn on the lights...fish may spook at first, but should go back to biting...just stay with them till they shut off their feeding...that will give you a time to fish (ie., 30 minutes before dark until an hour after dark)...normally, as the water temp raises, the fish will feed longer after dark...July always Seems to be my best month...set up right at dark (you need to find night fishing spots first)....feeding flats, ambush spots on feeding flats, etc. once May rolls around, you should start having a couple night time/early morning bites...just after dark, about midnight, and a couple hours before daybreak...assuming you have found some good night spots...and the Shad have come to your green light...it can take up to an hour for Shad to arrive...oh yea, take a large minnow net with you and use the Shad for bait, and hook them upside down...it will get interesting fast!
Posted By: dieselpower97

Re: Green Lights - 03/13/18 12:55 PM

hook upside down? like in the gut so they swimming upside down? why is this? thanks
Posted By: Scotty P

Re: Green Lights - 03/13/18 01:05 PM

I have killed them many many times in late March and April night fishing. I use 1/16 oz jigs tied 5 is a line about 15" apart.
Posted By: PKfishin

Re: Green Lights - 03/14/18 04:58 PM

I fish green lights at PK all the time. The best lights are the ones on a timer that are there year round. The fish get used to coming to them every day. The best time of year to use green lights is in summer when the ghost minnows are in high numbers. I've tied up my boat at the courtesy dock by my house with the green light turned on while I ate supper and returned right after dark to see a 50 foot circle of ghost minnows circling that light.

If you are going to use lights on your boat, you will attract the fish that are just in that local area. Also, once you catch a striper or two they disappear. Sand bass will stick around the light no matter how many you catch. Crappie that wish to live will not go into that light. I've watched perch that were gorging on ghost minnows be engulfed by a huge LM Bass in that light. The green light circle is a bad place to be.

If you can catch some of the bait fish that come to the light you instantly get bit. I've placed a hooked ghost minnow into a sea of circling bait and the sand bass instantly target the wounded minnow.

Good luck.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum