Texas Fishing Forum

Lure Guys (Clear Water Guys)

Posted By: Holzer

Lure Guys (Clear Water Guys) - 02/26/18 10:34 PM

I'm slowly converting from bait to almost full-time lure due to bait being so hard to get on Canyon.

Most of the water I've been fishing lately has been really clear.
Right now I'm upgrading the bearings in my abu's to get some better casting distance and I'm also doing a deep clean/new line.

So my questions for you plastic chunkers: Is it worth the extra $ to string up with Fluro on your lure rods?
If so, do you like to use fluro for a specific type of bait?
ex. fluro on swim baits / mono for top water & slabs
Just curious if you think it makes any difference.

I use fluro on all of my leaders when fishing live bait. So it's got me thinking if it makes a difference when connected to a plastic swim bait.
Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Re: Lure Guys (Clear Water Guys) - 02/26/18 10:55 PM

Going with the lightest fluorocarbon you can will greatly improve catch rates in any clear water environment. The line you throw is more important than the lure 90% of the time.
Posted By: JCG57

Re: Lure Guys (Clear Water Guys) - 02/26/18 11:57 PM

For white bass I use fluoro leader connected to mono on all my rods unless I have one rod rigged with a topwater.

Re: Lure Guys (Clear Water Guys) - 02/27/18 01:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher
Going with the lightest fluorocarbon you can will greatly improve catch rates in any clear water environment. The line you throw is more important than the lure 90% of the time.

Interesting observation.
I was wondering if the line would have any affect on the action of the lure.

I just haven't researched it much. I know that the fluro is less stretch and visibility. But that's all I really know. Other than my leaders when using live bait, I just haven't had a real need for it until possibly now.
Posted By: Finaddict

Re: Lure Guys (Clear Water Guys) - 02/27/18 02:13 PM

With a conventional spooler you will get better distance and performace with full spool of Fluorocarbon. If cost allows spool with braid and fluorocarbon leader
Posted By: jbobo

Re: Lure Guys (Clear Water Guys) - 02/27/18 03:22 PM

All my lure reels are spoiled with flouro or braid with flouro leaders. Live bait rods have flouro leaders with 30 lb big game. I used flouro for years when I fished for those green trash fish too. I have confidence in it but maybe I got hooked instead of the fish. I usually catch a fish or 2 though.
Posted By: Kerry Dugan

Re: Lure Guys (Clear Water Guys) - 02/27/18 03:55 PM

Holzer....
Wow, times have changed it seems like. I remember not to long ago you used to give your TSA partner all kinds of grief for chunking lures. roflmao
Posted By: jbobo

Re: Lure Guys (Clear Water Guys) - 02/27/18 06:09 PM

I reread your op. If you want longer cast go full spoil flouro. The knot from braid to flouro will tick on the guides and shorten your cast. My 2cents
You can put backing line on and finish with flouro to ease the cost. I do that occasionally.

Re: Lure Guys (Clear Water Guys) - 02/27/18 07:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Kerry Dugan
Holzer....
Wow, times have changed it seems like. I remember not to long ago you used to give your TSA partner all kinds of grief for chunking lures. roflmao

I was wondering how long it would take you to find this thread wink

Re: Lure Guys (Clear Water Guys) - 02/27/18 07:19 PM

Braid is not an option.
I fish open water. I just don't see the benefit in braid for that environment.
Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Re: Lure Guys (Clear Water Guys) - 02/27/18 08:26 PM

If you can get by with 8lb fluorocarbon, you’ll have much better luck, I fish a lot of clear water for all kinds of fish, walleye, crappie, sandbass, striper, Bass, you name it, if you can use light line and the smallest bait you can get by with, you’ll have the best luck, however, it has been the case time after time that the line used is more important than the lure most of the time.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum