Texas Fishing Forum

Any reports from the Steps in Circleville?

Posted By: jas_mart

Any reports from the Steps in Circleville? - 02/15/18 01:41 PM

There is usually an ongoing post every year but I don't see one. Any reports?
Posted By: LastCastPodcast

Re: Any reports from the Steps in Circleville? - 02/15/18 10:55 PM

This is still pretty early in the season, and the last week has been pretty cold. Here's how I figure it though:

You know the whites are starting to run in the Nueces when people post pictures of full stringers, and they're at the peak there when the fishing reports go suspiciously silent.

A week later the red buds bloom in Austin.

The next week, if there's rain, and if it's a full moon, it's peaking at the steps.

So Granger probably has a couple of weeks yet. That's my theory. One of these days I'll turn that into a mathematical formula that will precisely determine the best place to find white bass, and I will share that formula with _no_one._
Posted By: jas_mart

Re: Any reports from the Steps in Circleville? - 02/16/18 02:47 PM

I actually went down myself yesterday afternoon to give it a try. There are a few small males being caught but the water is for sure a little cold still.
Posted By: Texjbq

Re: Any reports from the Steps in Circleville? - 02/16/18 03:26 PM

Quote:
You know the whites are starting to run in the Nueces when people post pictures of full stringers, and they're at the peak there when the fishing reports go suspiciously silent.

So right now, being that the thread was going strong and then nothing since the 2nd.
Posted By: LastCastPodcast

Re: Any reports from the Steps in Circleville? - 02/16/18 10:10 PM

@Texjbq I think you're right. Everyone is too busy limiting out to go on the internets.
Posted By: beltonbill

Re: Any reports from the Steps in Circleville? - 02/16/18 11:02 PM

jas_mart has it figured out. Lake temperatures are currently 10 degrees or more colder than this date last year. There have been no recent rains to get the water moving. Most of the whites will be waiting a couple of weeks more before they run up the creeks in this area. Local water temperatures have dropped 2 and a half degrees in the last two weeks. Wait a little while and it will get much better. Patience is a virtue.
Posted By: bengo

Re: Any reports from the Steps in Circleville? - 02/20/18 08:40 PM

Went yesterday morning, caught nothing on lures, the white bite live minnows but slow.
Posted By: SaltyDawg88

Re: Any reports from the Steps in Circleville? - 02/21/18 06:28 PM

There are no fish in Granger! Move on!
Posted By: beltonbill

Re: Any reports from the Steps in Circleville? - 02/22/18 10:55 PM

I caught one once.
Posted By: Woj

Re: Any reports from the Steps in Circleville? - 02/26/18 08:47 PM

Today's report: 25 cars at the steps at 11 am. Water is up, but not flooded. Water dirtier than normal, but not muddy. I fished in a kayak from the primitive launch up to the steps. I saw one fish on three different stringers up near the steps. I caught 4 total, and no more than one in any location. Launching at the primitive is still a bitch....
Posted By: bengo

Re: Any reports from the Steps in Circleville? - 02/27/18 03:23 AM

Arrived around 7:30 am,caught 12 white in 2.5 hours include 3 over 15" whites. Saw many trash, feel so sad why people left trash?? eek
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum