Texas Fishing Forum

New drift socks

Posted By: ATM97

New drift socks - 01/10/18 02:37 AM

Finally upgraded my drift socks recently and what a difference it made this last weekend. I have a 22' CC and previously had two of the biggest socks BPS makes (think they are 5') but it just didn't work too well once winds got up over 10 mph. Pulled the trigger on a couple of ten footers a few weeks ago and after a little bit of trial and error on the first trip with them, decided to get out on Palestine and give it a try again on Sunday in the 20 mph winds. Checked a couple of usual winter time spots but only marked bait. Saw some birds that were messing around and looking out in open water so circled way up wind and started immediately marking fish. Threw out both socks and immediately slowed down to a perfect 0.3 mph. With previous set would have probably been going anywhere between 0.8-1.0. Had a limit of hybrids in 15 minutes then caught hybrids and magnum whites as fast as I could get them in for the next three hours. Most of the hybrids were 18-20" but had a bunch in the 5-8# range. Hadn't been on the lake in a few weeks and the temperature definitely dropped since last time out. Fish were also quite a bit deeper. All fish caught 20-28' down in 30 fow. Deepest I have ever caught fish on Palestine and easily the best solo day of fishing I have ever had. Caught them equally well on all colors tried of 4" gulp minnows and a 3" shad profile bait a buddy pours.

Posted By: lenahorse

Re: New drift socks - 01/10/18 02:48 AM

where did you find that SIZE?
Posted By: TCK73

Re: New drift socks - 01/10/18 02:55 AM

Originally Posted By: lenahorse
where did you find that SIZE?

^^^^**
Posted By: CHAMPION FISH

Re: New drift socks - 01/10/18 03:04 AM

Solid catch. Drift socks are the way to go.
Posted By: SeaPro-Todd

Re: New drift socks - 01/10/18 03:06 AM

10 ft wow. Be careful deploying then on windy days. You may be parasailing lol. Mine are 7 ft in diameter and I thought they're big lol. Nice report, BTW

Re: New drift socks - 01/10/18 05:24 AM

Lenahorse and TCK, saw a post on FB for a company that made them called Easterlin's Sea Anchors. Were a little pricey but the difference it made with boat control was huge. Definitely more difficult to handle than the 5'ers but after getting the hang of it was not too bad at all. Forecast looks like more big wind this weekend so they will get another work out.
Posted By: REDGUN

Re: New drift socks - 01/10/18 05:05 PM

Originally Posted By: ATM97
Definitely more difficult to handle than the 5'ers but after getting the hang of it was not too bad at all.

So, there is a "trick" to deploying them???? roflmao
Posted By: CHAMPION FISH

Re: New drift socks - 01/10/18 07:49 PM

Do they float? Mine have a built in floatation in the mouth of the sock. That helps them deploy and if for some reason they blow out of the boat when changing locations I will not lose it. That also has happened.
Posted By: Herbeck's Lonestar Fishing

Re: New drift socks - 01/10/18 09:44 PM

Where do get those tails you were using as well as the jig head? I like the white/chartreuse pink head combo as well as the pink blue/lime green combo. You are also spot on when you said .3 mph is the sweet spot. Nice fish!
Posted By: Filletmaker

Re: New drift socks - 01/10/18 11:41 PM

cheers banana

Re: New drift socks - 01/11/18 01:10 AM

Championfish, yes they float (already had a similar episode with it going one direction and boat going a different) and they actually have a small bean bag weight on opposite side to aid with opening. Redgun had the privilege of seeing the learning process unfold. Just didn't have enough room to stow and deploy them and had entirely too much rope but fixed that.

CCL, those 3" baits were intended to be big crappie magnets but as soon as I saw them knew they would be great for dead sticking. We had been catching a bunch of good hybrids while fishing for crappie the last three months on the pink/white/chartruse and pink/purple/chartruse combo but best color dead sticking on palestine for me has actually been bubble gum pink. He also pours jig heads and has heads from 1/8 oz to 1 oz with stout 1/0 and 3/0 hooks that handle hybrids no problem. They are solid body and tough plastic and I have one bait that has probably 50 fish on it with no wear. I like fishing them on the 1/8 oz head on a huckabee loop knot so it is always level in the water above a heavier 1.5 oz lower weight. He also makes some tandem hooks if you prefer that. If you are interested could have him send you PM. I have not seen them for sale in that size anywhere else.
Posted By: Herbeck's Lonestar Fishing

Re: New drift socks - 01/11/18 02:38 AM

Have him send me a PM. Thanks for the help.
Posted By: Double Row

Re: New drift socks - 01/12/18 07:47 PM

I'd like more information, too.
Posted By: SeaPro-Todd

Re: New drift socks - 01/12/18 08:50 PM

I got my 7ft socks from below after many of my trust worthy friends post it on TFF about 5 years ago. I just contacted Bob and he still makes the large very quality socks. You can call or email him with the desired sizes

Bob at 724-612-5398

G2outfitters@gmail.com

Re: New drift socks - 01/13/18 01:09 AM

Great information Todd. While I like these I probably would have got 7'ers if I would have known about them. The 10'ers are big.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum