Texas Fishing Forum

Sand bass side Scan screen shots?

Posted By: TroyKing

Sand bass side Scan screen shots? - 01/05/18 01:50 PM

Can somebody please post some pictures of what sand bass look like on Side scan in the River?... I've got a Helix 7 and this will be my first year to have side scan during the run...thanks
Posted By: Duma

Re: Sand bass side Scan screen shots? - 01/05/18 03:10 PM

I'll try to dig some out when I get home from Arkansas. Pretty simple Troy. Set your side scan for the diameter/width of the river. Match your chart speed with boat speed. Set your side scan to where the floor bottom is not too dark and not tooo ghostly white( sensitivity). That way all your returns blows up and can be seen very easily. You will see lots of trees and branches in some or most strecth of the river. Fish will jump out at you as little white grains about the size of sugar grains maybe a little larger depending on your side scan left and right width adjustment. I think mine was right at 60 feet left and right plus or minus 5'. Look for high concentrations of those grains. Every time I go by Jane boat at River ridge when she is guiding I see lots of white grains. She picks her spot very well. Where to concentrate your looking efforts...When river is high and currents is strong fish will hug close to the shore line and travel up the river. Currents closer to the banks are less stronger than in the middle of the river. Concentrate looking closer to the banks.
When river is low fish will concentrate in the middle of the river channel travling up the river. Concentrate looking for them in the river channels. Good luck!! Still can't figure it out. I'll have plenty of pics this year run to help you out. Last year was my first time up there so didn't think much about saving any sonar pics. If all else fails hook up with me and I'll show you.I need a friend that lives up there keeping me posted on river conditions smile

Re: Sand bass side Scan screen shots? - 01/05/18 03:38 PM

Best way to practice is have your scan adjusted before you go pass peoples that are catching them and pulling them up left and right. Be careful not to disturb them and pass from a good distance away. I guaranteed you will see a bunch as you are passing by. That will give you a good idea what to look for. Dont bother with 2D it is useless in shallow water. You got a 7" screen not much room to see fish on both side. Might be better to turn off the left side or the right side and only scan one side. That way you get the whole 7" of screen and your returns is a lot more larger than trying to split the screen. I would stay on the very opposite side of the bank and scan all the sides of the banks that has sand dunes and sandy banks. That's where they're at most of the time anyway. Good luck Troy. Gonna be a good run this year. Miles and miles of river. No need to clump up in one area. If it don't produce in 15-20 minutes move to a different area. Don't waste your time working unproductive areas. All we need now is rain.

Re: Sand bass side Scan screen shots? - 01/05/18 07:42 PM

Man!! Thanks for all that info!!...let's definitely get together if I can help you let me know..

Re: Sand bass side Scan screen shots? - 01/05/18 07:52 PM

Free not a dime charged. It's a friendship thing.
Posted By: Capt. Michael Littlejohn

Re: Sand bass side Scan screen shots? - 01/05/18 11:24 PM

I don’t recommend learning to use ur side-imaging this way.

That’s way too close to another boat that is on Fish. Most dialed in side image units are showing good returns up to 100ft. So, at best u are 30 yards away from the boat catching fish...risking blowing their fish for the sake of education. 30 yards is well within casting distance for almost all Anglers.

Really, you would need to be closer than 30 yards to get good returns...especially if the water was deeper.

Just not a good way to learn IMO...

Originally Posted By: brucevannguyen
Best way to practice is have your scan adjusted before you go pass peoples that are catching them and pulling them up left and right. Be careful not to disturb them and pass from a good distance away. I guaranteed you will see a bunch as you are passing by. That will give you a good idea what to look for. Dont bother with 2D it is useless in shallow water. You got a 7" screen not much room to see fish on both side. Might be better to turn off the left side or the right side and only scan one side. That way you get the whole 7" of screen and your returns is a lot more larger than trying to split the screen. I would stay on the very opposite side of the bank and scan all the sides of the banks that has sand dunes and sandy banks. That's where they're at most of the time anyway. Good luck Troy. Gonna be a good run this year. Miles and miles of river. No need to clump up in one area. If it don't produce in 15-20 minutes move to a different area. Don't waste your time working unproductive areas. All we need now is rain.

Re: Sand bass side Scan screen shots? - 01/05/18 11:31 PM

Here are Sandbass on SI...

Re: Sand bass side Scan screen shots? - 01/05/18 11:33 PM

Posted By: TCK73

Re: Sand bass side Scan screen shots? - 01/06/18 12:29 AM

Originally Posted By: Capt. Michael Littlejohn

That’s way too close to another boat that is on Fish. Most dialed in side image units are showing good returns up to 100ft. So, at best u are 30 yards away from the boat catching fish...risking blowing their fish for the sake of education. 30 yards is well within casting distance for almost all Anglers.

Really, you would need to be closer than 30 yards to get good returns...especially if the water was deeper.

I agree with this^^^^^^

You should come to PK, there is a guy here that loves to see a boat spot locked on fish and troll 20’ from you with no less than four downriggers. Ruins it nearly every time.

Re: Sand bass side Scan screen shots? - 01/06/18 01:43 AM

Originally Posted By: TCK73

I agree with this^^^^^^

You should come to PK, there is a guy here that loves to see a boat spot locked on fish and troll 20’ from you with no less than four downriggers. Ruins it nearly every time.
Originally Posted By: TCK73

I agree with this^^^^^^

thanks for the pictures and input guy's...I was initially asking about sand bass on the River...and it is pretty customary to idle within 30 or 40 feet or closer of others boats on the Sabine river, you really have no choice ...I think that is what Bruce was referring to... however I totally agree with you on an open lake.

Re: Sand bass side Scan screen shots? - 01/06/18 01:59 AM

Yes that's what I meant Troy. Totally don't want anyone to get upset. River is really not that wide and you have to go pass a lot of boats. I always try to stay at the opposite side of the river to pass. Since your sonar is already on anyway doesn't hurt to look as you pass but keep keep going don't stop. Anyway Capt Michael advice is good. Not the way to learn. Best is to hire a guide and let them show you not just what they look like but also how to properly adjust your fish finder. Once you learn it doesn't matter lakes or rivers you will be able to spot fish on your ff.

Re: Sand bass side Scan screen shots? - 02/01/18 02:06 AM

Here you go TK. Not my greatest but Sabine river 2017 March 4th. Think very small white dots. River whites show up much smaller dots than on the lake. Maybe someone will chime in with a better scan but these works for me on the Sabine. It's better than being clueless where to start on miles and miles of rivers. If I don't see white dots I keep on moving. Don't waste your time on part of the river with a scan that looks clean like a baby bottom. Trust your electronics. Scan on the river are much different than on the lake. On the lake, they are stacked up and shows up in big masses with vertical thickness. In the river, they are not stacked up but more like scattered. Some areas more scatter dots, some areas less scatter dots, some areas no dots.

Notice the last pics on the left is what I refer to as baby smooth bottom no fish but on the right the very same pics you got fish activity worth investigating.

BTW notice the water temps on the scan pics.

Re: Sand bass side Scan screen shots? - 02/01/18 02:28 AM

A few more pics to give you an idea what lay beneath the water at Sabine River. Some areas are surprisingly clean while other areas are thick with down trees. Benefits of side scan and down scan are that it picks up trees and branches in much better details then 2D. Expect to lose a lot of lures with scans that show a lot of trees. I usually just avoid those areas.
There is a few fish in these pics. See if you can spot them like pics above.

Re: Sand bass side Scan screen shots? - 02/01/18 03:49 AM

All I can say is wow!!...thoes are great pics....it looks like everywhere there is a drain or ditch there are fish.....thanks for sharing...the white dots in the trees are probably crappie you think?

Re: Sand bass side Scan screen shots? - 02/01/18 05:04 AM

Im not much of a crappie guy Troy, but very plausible that they are crappies. Crappies tends to group together near structures. They are waiting for you to find out Troy. I don't eat crappies so I haven't try targeting them specificly.
Posted By: FishermenDesigns

Re: Sand bass side Scan screen shots? - 02/01/18 07:03 PM

Bruce, I noticed that your side images show great views. Mine does not show as clear as this. Should I upgrade my normal transom on the HELIX 5 CHIRP SI GPS G2 and upgrade it to HD transom?

Re: Sand bass side Scan screen shots? - 02/01/18 08:20 PM

Originally Posted By: FishermenDesigns
Bruce, I noticed that your side images show great views. Mine does not show as clear as this. Should I upgrade my normal transom on the HELIX 5 CHIRP SI GPS G2 and upgrade it to HD transom?

You might wanna call humminbird on this question. This pics was snap on my humminbird 1199. I now own a helix 12 and
am letting the 1199 take a break. That unit never ever gave me any issues.

Maybe you wanna think about upgrading to a bigger and better unit ?
Posted By: sae

Re: Sand bass side Scan screen shots? - 02/01/18 08:58 PM

good info thank you Bruce for sharing.
Posted By: MeatHauler

Re: Sand bass side Scan screen shots? - 02/02/18 05:26 PM

Does anyone have pics of fish pushed up on rip rap? I have a hard time picking stuff out on those big rocks.

Re: Sand bass side Scan screen shots? - 02/02/18 06:17 PM

I had it but forgot to snap a pics. Also you will see a lot of them line up like ant trails very close to the shore line depending on how strong the currents and how high the river level is sitting at.

Re: Sand bass side Scan screen shots? - 02/07/18 01:30 PM

Here's another pics going from 4 to 5 fow past a 15 fow large hole. It is loaded with fish. I THINK they are full of alligator gar with MAYBE a few very large white bass and Maybe a very large gar or a paddle fish. See if you can spot that large gar/paddle fish?

The two pics at the bottom circle in red is very large white bass.

Re: Sand bass side Scan screen shots? - 02/07/18 03:00 PM

Great shots!!!

Re: Sand bass side Scan screen shots? - 02/07/18 04:38 PM

Zoom in and you can see the shark fin shape like tail fins and the jaw mouth of a paddle fish.

Re: Sand bass side Scan screen shots? - 02/07/18 05:25 PM

That is amazing!
Posted By: JLight

Re: Sand bass side Scan screen shots? - 02/10/18 03:55 AM

Does anyone have an opinion on Simrad Electronics?
Posted By: SeaPro-Todd

Re: Sand bass side Scan screen shots? - 02/10/18 05:16 PM

Those are some of the best side scans I've seen, Bruce! I read up on that body of water and they do have few paddle fish there since you can't catch them with lures or baits.
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Sand bass side Scan screen shots? - 02/15/18 06:50 PM

Originally Posted By: brucevannguyen
Zoom in and you can see the shark fin shape like tail fins and the jaw mouth of a paddle fish.

Awesome graph pics and it sure looks like a Paddle Fish to me! fish

Re: Sand bass side Scan screen shots? - 02/15/18 07:46 PM

Right now is the best time of the year to see the river exploding with life. Lots of fish of all species. The river comes alive. Great for seeing with your side scans and down scans.
Posted By: DNA

Re: Sand bass side Scan screen shots? - 02/15/18 11:05 PM

Awesome pictures. Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: doctorxring

Re: Sand bass side Scan screen shots? - 02/16/18 08:05 PM

Here's two confirmed scans of long nose gar. First one is near the mouth of the river at Canyon Lake.
The second one is in the Nueces above Lake Corpus Christi about 2 miles downstream from Highway 59 bridge.

Re: Sand bass side Scan screen shots? - 02/16/18 08:18 PM

Nice scans doctor!! You can really see the long slender shapes of those gars!!
Posted By: TWINCITY

Re: Sand bass side Scan screen shots? - 02/16/18 09:55 PM

Is that taken from a Helix 12 si mega or just the Helix 12 si?
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum