Texas Fishing Forum

Canyon Lake Striper and Whites

Posted By: Southtxangler22

Canyon Lake Striper and Whites - 12/14/17 08:14 PM

Showed up too my first spot with fish passing by on the graph. Jigged up a few with the slab/jig rig. All whites were biting there.. a small school of striper came too the surface. Wanted to hit shallower water and that was the ticket! Top water striper anywhere from 2-20ft of water! They stayed up for several hours! Not sure how many were caught but it was a bunch! Had to downsize Lures to get bites. But catching them on light tackle is a blast! Awesome day!
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Canyon Lake Striper and Whites - 12/14/17 08:35 PM

Nice fish. Awesome post. thumb
Posted By: TCK73

Re: Canyon Lake Striper and Whites - 12/14/17 11:47 PM

That’s good fishing! thumb
Posted By: jbobo

Re: Canyon Lake Striper and Whites - 12/15/17 12:16 AM

thumb
Posted By: Bilboinsa

Re: Canyon Lake Striper and Whites - 12/15/17 02:42 AM

Were you in an alum8num basser? Did you spend some time in a cove west of the Cranes Mill peninsula?

Re: Canyon Lake Striper and Whites - 12/15/17 03:27 AM

I sure did! I only caught one fish in that cove but there were hundreds lol... that’s the second they’ve been like that that but won’t bite a lure... down the lake towards a little ways I was in a cove with fish doing that early morning and I bet I made 10 casts in a row catching every cast. Weird.
Posted By: doctorxring

Re: Canyon Lake Striper and Whites - 12/15/17 06:40 AM

Great report ! Glad you got into them. I'm dying to get back out there. Maybe next week !
Posted By: jvela

Re: Canyon Lake Striper and Whites - 12/15/17 12:59 PM

Very nice sir!!
Posted By: jvela

Re: Canyon Lake Striper and Whites - 12/15/17 01:00 PM

Very nice sir!!
Posted By: chascat

Re: Canyon Lake Striper and Whites - 12/16/17 02:46 PM

Good going Steven.l believe you have them figured out. Thanks for the report.
Posted By: Bilboinsa

Re: Canyon Lake Striper and Whites - 12/18/17 04:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Southtxangler22
I sure did! I only caught one fish in that cove but there were hundreds lol... that’s the second they’ve been like that that but won’t bite a lure... down the lake towards a little ways I was in a cove with fish doing that early morning and I bet I made 10 casts in a row catching every cast. Weird.

I was the black pontoon boat about thiry yards from you. I saw them jumping around your boat. You literally could have netted a couple of them that were right up against the hull.

Re: Canyon Lake Striper and Whites - 12/19/17 10:32 AM

Oh ok gotcha! Yea when it was cloudy they would eat anything and everything I threw.. when the sun came out out they got smart lol.. it happens. Gotta downsize lures. I started getting bites and caught one at the end when I switched to 8lb fluorocarbon line and smallest swim bait that I had.
Posted By: Rxfire

Re: Canyon Lake Striper and Whites - 12/19/17 11:18 AM

Favorite lures for stripers schooling at Canyon:

Spring/Summer:
H2O Xpress(Academy brand) Floating jerk bait 4.5 inches chrome color:

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/h2o-xpress%E2%84%A2-floating-jerk-bait#repChildCatid=22632

The above lure is also a great trolling and casting lure on Canyon, has caught largemouth, whites, large CATFISH, gar, and smallmouth bass. and it is cheap, with decent hooks already installed (and is heavy enough to really cast a long way when chasing schools around with the trolling motor). Other colors did not work as well at all.

These next 2, you need to upgrade the hooks to striper strength:

Topwater
Rebel Jumpin Minnow 3.5 inch (silver/black)--Upgrade those hooks!:

https://www.amazon.com/Rebel-T20-00S-Jumpin-Feet-Minnow-2-Ounce/dp/B000SHRIXC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1513681359&sr=8-1&keywords=rebel%2Bjumpin%2Bminnow&th=1

Fall/Winter:
Rapala X-Rap Shallow Fishing 2.5 inches (Silver) -- Upgrade those hooks! (The heavier hooks also add a little weight to this lure for increased casting distance)

https://www.amazon.com/Rapala-X-Rap-Shallow-Fishing-Clown/dp/B001NXCZ5G/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1513681623&sr=8-12&keywords=rapala%2Bxrap&th=1

Also, have had luck with silver spoons dragged at surface fast to the point that they "skim" across the surface like a small boat.

Re: Canyon Lake Striper and Whites - 12/19/17 01:31 PM

Those are all great choices!! I grew up catching them at lake Tawakoni. Up there we us spooks and flukes. Theybwork just as good at Canyon. Take a salt water jig head and run a fluke on it. Twitch across the surface when they are boiling. When they go down, cast the same fluke, count to 10 and twitch it back and they still hit it. Dead of winter when you find a school on the graph, you can dead stick the fluke. I throw smaller sassy shad swim baits as well. I’ll throw the white one knocker Spook when they are aggressive. I just don’t like messing with all the treble hooks. Chrome or chartuse ReaXtion slabs are killer any where you go.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum