Texas Fishing Forum

Whitney, Warm and windy Monday

Posted By: SteveStrasemeier

Whitney, Warm and windy Monday - 12/05/17 06:23 PM

Robert and I thought we would get in one more trip before the cold sets in and things change. We got the trip in but things changed a little from last Wednesday. Fish are still on the flats but where a little more picky. We had no trouble finding fish but the bite was not as good. Birds were working but didn't always mean that fish were under them. We changed baits and methods and found that if you were not getting bit on the bottom try suspended and they will bite. Fishing was good but it was best in the afternoon. Started the day with a 21" striper and caught 3 more keeper striper but about 20-25 small ones. A lot more smaller fish this time including the sandies. Big ones moved on us. At about 2:30 we were just North of the bridge when birds got up and were right under the bridge. Moved over there and sat on a very large school of sandies. Sure was fun getting two (1 each) to 4 (2 each, slab with fly above)sandies at a time. Then Robert noticed they were busting top. He switched to a mepps and I put on a little george and continued to catch just slowly reeling across the top. I don't recall ever seeing that many sandies bustin top in December before. Ended the day with over 200 estimated as our clicker blew up.

First fish - 21" striper

School under the bridge
Posted By: CHAMPION FISH

Re: Whitney, Warm and windy Monday - 12/05/17 08:12 PM

200 fish and the bite was not good.....that is awesome!!!!
Posted By: RespectTheFish

Re: Whitney, Warm and windy Monday - 12/06/17 01:33 AM

Awesome!

Re: Whitney, Warm and windy Monday - 12/06/17 01:34 AM

what method are you using to catch the Stripers this time of year?
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Whitney, Warm and windy Monday - 12/06/17 03:43 AM

Nice post. Good job. thumb
Posted By: hideandseekfish

Re: Whitney, Warm and windy Monday - 12/06/17 01:44 PM

Great job!!! Thanks.
Posted By: SteveStrasemeier

Re: Whitney, Warm and windy Monday - 12/06/17 08:13 PM

RespectTheFish - We have been targeting sandbass and just happen to pick up a few striper. Best bet for striper is live shad or trolling swim baits.

Re: Whitney, Warm and windy Monday - 12/09/17 10:27 PM

Awesome! I've finally got some hybrids at my local lake and experimenting with presentation to consistently be successful. I'm hoping they stay put for the winter so my hours of driving and searching will be over for a while! Learning a lake and seasonal patterns is no easy task!!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum