Texas Fishing Forum

Cedar Creek Lake Reports 11/14 and 11/16

Posted By: Dennis Christian

Cedar Creek Lake Reports 11/14 and 11/16 - 11/17/17 01:26 PM

I went out a couple of times this week. On Tuesday I went out from 3 to 5:30 PM and only had time to fish a couple of spots: Andrew's Humps and the SE slope of the A-Frame. Between the 2 spots I had a limit of whites, a couple of hybrids, a short hybrid, a couple of cats and a couple of eaten size yellow bass. All caught on #4 Mepps in 14 to 18 fow.

Yesterday, since it was calm and pleasant, I decided to spend more time out and at 9:45 AM headed north starting at Spillway Hump. Didn't see enough to fish there, so I went to Enchanted Isle Ridge. Found a bunch on top of it in 18 to 20 fow and stayed there til I had a limit of whites. Next I went to Sunken Island and found fish there. Caught a couple of hybrids and 19 whites in 12 to 15 fow. Next went farther north to what seems to be an old roadbed just south of one of the Bird Islands. Caught another hybrid and 31 more big (up to 17 inches) white bass in 8 fow. Next I looked around the islands for more fish on structure and found some on a hump due east of the western-most island. Caught another 25 whites there in 8 fow and then headed home at 2:30 PM with total of 100 whites and 9 others.

All these fish were caught on #4 Mepps - didn't even try a #2.

I also took neighbor Patrick out Friday the 10th and here are a couple of pics:

Patrick with nice white:

Yours truly with nice white:
Posted By: SeaPro-Todd

Re: Cedar Creek Lake Reports 11/14 and 11/16 - 11/17/17 02:23 PM

Nice report, Dennis. Shallow is good now. Lots of hungry fish feeding to fatten up.
Posted By: CHAMPION FISH

Re: Cedar Creek Lake Reports 11/14 and 11/16 - 11/17/17 09:39 PM

The shallow pattern has definitely started.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Cedar Creek Lake Reports 11/14 and 11/16 - 11/18/17 04:24 AM

Awesome post! thumb
Posted By: learnin to fish

Re: Cedar Creek Lake Reports 11/14 and 11/16 - 11/19/17 12:52 AM

Dennis what is the key to catching whites when we keep having fronts come in? Two days with a south wind and 2 days with a north wind, you know the drill. I have trouble finding fish when the weather is like this. Lake Waco/ Lake Whitney are the main lakes I fish.
Posted By: CedarCreekWoody

Re: Cedar Creek Lake Reports 11/14 and 11/16 - 11/19/17 04:09 AM

Nice report Dennis. You are wandering further north!
Posted By: SteveStrasemeier

Re: Cedar Creek Lake Reports 11/14 and 11/16 - 11/19/17 09:33 PM

Great reports as usual. Glad I finally got to meet you at Texoma. I'm sure we will run into each other again, maybe at CC or Tawokoni with Larry and Ed.
Posted By: Dennis Christian

Re: Cedar Creek Lake Reports 11/14 and 11/16 - 11/19/17 09:45 PM

learning to fish: Whether the wind is out of the south or north, warm or cold, pre-front or post-front, for fall and early winter fishing I look at it this way. The water changes temperature much slower than the air and fluctuates much less. So, the fish are down in the water seeing a gradual change. They will stay on the same patterns until the water gets so cold it drives them all deep. In mild winters here it never gets that cold, and I can catch them on structure using my usual sonar search and find technique - fish on or near the bottom.

I am seeing 2 sonar patterns now, both of which mean fish. One is a solid reflection - like a cloud with a bumpy top extending from the bottom up about 4 feet. The wider the cloud the larger the school of fish. The other is scattered but close bumps spread out along the bottom - the closer together the bumps the better. I am seeing these bumps spread out as wide as 15 to 20 yards indicating a lot of fish. What this is is a one fish high school of fish likely hugging a sandy bottom. As the water continues to get colder you will see more and more of this pattern rather than the cloud pattern. When I find these patterns, I park the boat where I can cast to the fish and reel back to the boat keeping the lure near the bottom. Hope this helps. Dennis
Posted By: learnin to fish

Re: Cedar Creek Lake Reports 11/14 and 11/16 - 11/20/17 01:35 AM

Dennis, would you mind sending me a picture of your graph next time you go out and see the bottom pattern? Thanks for the help, I appreciate your willingness to share your knowledge and enjoy reading your posts.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum