Texas Fishing Forum

A Rio, A Rebate, And Redemption On Onion Creek

Posted By: 1960texan

A Rio, A Rebate, And Redemption On Onion Creek - 08/06/17 07:01 PM

I found a secluded spot on Onion Creek last week and lost a pretty good sized fish, so I decided that this morning would be a good time to take another shot at it. I arrived right at nine am and saw that I had this little stretch of the creek all to myself.

J-Moe and a few other fly fishermen on this forum mentioned in more than one post that they were having great success with hoppers, so I stopped by Cabela's a few days ago and picked up a few. I am happy to report that the hopper is still very effective.

I saw this guy hanging out below a limestone cut in the far bank and tried my luck at site fishing. He did not disappoint. It was a real thrill watching him slam the hopper.

I even managed to land my second ever Rio, a nice bull. As I was taking him off the hook I noticed a ten dollar bill floating a few inches from my shoes! That more than pays for the hoppers I bought a few days ago.

The redbreasts were the most aggressive, I probably caught six or seven of these. In fact,
I think I may have caught the same fish twice.

I must have landed about twenty fish in two and a half hours. As I was heading back to the house I stopped at another, smaller creek for the first time and tried out the new spinning rig my wife bought me a few weeks ago for my birthday. This creek was probably less than ten feet across at its widest point, but I still managed to land a decent bass and this beautiful little longear, both on a small chartreuse and orange roostertail. If I hadn't already promised my wife we'd see a movie today, I'd probably still be out there. Instead, I fished for ten minutes and went home.

This was by far the best solo fishing excursion I've had in quite some time.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: A Rio, A Rebate, And Redemption On Onion Creek - 08/06/17 07:20 PM

Awesome post Will. Good job. thumb

Side note. You know you are living right when you find a ten dollar bill floating in a fishing hole. rockon
Posted By: Wildman of the navidad

Re: A Rio, A Rebate, And Redemption On Onion Creek - 08/06/17 07:47 PM

Originally Posted By: banker-always fishing
Awesome post Will. Good job. thumb

Side note. You know you are living right when you find a ten dollar bill floating in a fishing hole. rockon

+1 rockon
Posted By: Littlefeather

Re: A Rio, A Rebate, And Redemption On Onion Creek - 08/06/17 09:23 PM

Very nice! Man those Rio's are really beautiful and unique! Congrats

Re: A Rio, A Rebate, And Redemption On Onion Creek - 08/06/17 09:36 PM

Thanks Chuck, Clayton and Littlefeather for the replies. Littlefeather, the Rios are what we have to make do with down here when we can't fish for trout! smile
Posted By: Littlefeather

Re: A Rio, A Rebate, And Redemption On Onion Creek - 08/06/17 10:30 PM

Lol! I hear ya! I've caught Rio's. I kept some in a 75 gal aquarium but never could get the lights right to capture the colors. Congrats again
Posted By: gar1970

Re: A Rio, A Rebate, And Redemption On Onion Creek - 08/07/17 01:16 AM

Great post and pics! Thanx for sharing, happy belated bday
Posted By: J-Moe

Re: A Rio, A Rebate, And Redemption On Onion Creek - 08/07/17 01:26 AM

Great job, great variety of fish.

Re: A Rio, A Rebate, And Redemption On Onion Creek - 08/07/17 03:47 AM

Thanks gar1970 and Jamie for the replies.

Jamie, thanks again for posting about your success with the hoppers! In this case, your success had a great deal to do with my success.
Posted By: Hunter498

Re: A Rio, A Rebate, And Redemption On Onion Creek - 08/07/17 03:56 AM

What great pics, thanks for the story!!
Posted By: Dfitz

Re: A Rio, A Rebate, And Redemption On Onion Creek - 08/07/17 09:46 PM

I really like those pictures. Beautiful fish you caught

Re: A Rio, A Rebate, And Redemption On Onion Creek - 08/07/17 11:23 PM

Thanks Hunter and Fitz for the replies. Fitz, I'm already itching to go back.
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: A Rio, A Rebate, And Redemption On Onion Creek - 08/08/17 12:57 PM

Nice fish 1960texan! You seem to find some pretty neat places!
Posted By: Laker One

Re: A Rio, A Rebate, And Redemption On Onion Creek - 08/09/17 01:49 PM

Great post. woot Were you using black or other colors?
Posted By: Pot licker

Re: A Rio, A Rebate, And Redemption On Onion Creek - 08/09/17 06:19 PM

Awesome post love the pictures! Thanks for sharing clap

Re: A Rio, A Rebate, And Redemption On Onion Creek - 08/10/17 01:46 AM

Thanks Gitter Done, Laker One, and Potlicker for the replies.

Originally Posted By: Laker One

It was a two-toned hopper, dark brown over tan. I saw a few posts from J-Moe and others where they mentioned having a lot of success with brown hoppers, so I just stuck with that color.

I've been seeing quite a few dragon flies with white and black wings, but haven't seen any flies that match that color scheme. My guess is that I'll be tying my own flies within the next six months or so. smile
Posted By: Capt. Mac

Re: A Rio, A Rebate, And Redemption On Onion Creek - 08/10/17 02:47 PM

That's a pile of fish! Great pictures man!
Posted By: Laker One

Re: A Rio, A Rebate, And Redemption On Onion Creek - 08/11/17 12:37 PM

Originally Posted By: 1960texan
Thanks Gitter Done, Laker One, and Potlicker for the replies.

Originally Posted By: Laker One

It was a two-toned hopper, dark brown over tan. I saw a few posts from J-Moe and others where they mentioned having a lot of success with brown hoppers, so I just stuck with that color.

I've been seeing quite a few dragon flies with white and black wings, but haven't seen any flies that match that color scheme. My guess is that I'll be tying my own flies within the next six months or so. smile

Thanks for the information! Brown Grasshoppers and spiders are working well for me! hooked
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum