Texas Fishing Forum

Nueces Canyon Fishing with Two Outstanding Anglers !

Posted By: banker-always fishing

Nueces Canyon Fishing with Two Outstanding Anglers ! - 06/07/17 12:37 AM

Had the privilege to fish with two very outstanding anglers at the Nueces Canyon. Myself and Will aka 1960 Texan, met up with Jamie aka J-Moe who had fished the canyon a day earlier and spent the night in Uvalde. We met at the Stripes station in Uvalde around 5:30 a.m. We had coffee and breakfast tacos. We were at our first spot on the Nueces River in the Camp Wood area an hour later. We then fished a second spot about 7 miles outside of Camp Wood and the bite was fair. Saw a lot of fish moving in the super clear water of Camp Wood Creek. Will and Jamie were using their Flyrods. I was using my trusty ultra lights with live worms. We caught small bass,a couple of nice Rios,some Longear,several small Channel Cat,and rounding out the catch were a couple of nice Bluegill. We finished our day back on the Nueces River. The bite picked up and we caught a bunch of nice Tilapia,a nice Rio,several nice Bluegill,some nice Redear,and a few small bass rounded out the catch. After a long day of fishing we topped off the trip with a nice dinner at the Town House Restaurant located in Uvalde. Fishing with two super anglers and friends. It just don't get any better! fish

Posted By: 1960texan

Re: Nueces Canyon Fishing with Two Outstanding Anglers ! - 06/07/17 01:13 AM

Man, I had a blast fishing with you and Jamie, Chuck! Good friends, good fishing and a great day outdoors.

Side note: Even though I'm not normally a morning person, it was worth dragging my butt out of bed early in order to see the sun rise!

Re: Nueces Canyon Fishing with Two Outstanding Anglers ! - 06/07/17 01:33 AM

Yes Sir Will enjoyed the trip and looking forward to the next one. Love that sunrise picture. thumb

Side Note: Watching you and Jamie work those flyrods got me super tired. juggle You fly guys really work. partyon How many times during the trip did you change flies? hmmm
Posted By: J-Moe

Re: Nueces Canyon Fishing with Two Outstanding Anglers ! - 06/07/17 01:51 AM

Thanks, as always Chuck. Glad you were able to catch some of those huge tilapia. I couldn't figure out how to get them to take a fly. That's a new challenge.

Re: Nueces Canyon Fishing with Two Outstanding Anglers ! - 06/07/17 01:52 AM

Originally Posted By: banker-always fishing
You fly guys really work. partyon How many times during the trip did you change flies? hmmm

Let's see...I started out with an olive green wooly bugger, then changed to a white clouser, then a black wooly bugger, then a red popper, then finished the day by switching back to an olive green wooly bugger. More than usual for me, but not THAT much more!
Posted By: Hunter498

Re: Nueces Canyon Fishing with Two Outstanding Anglers ! - 06/07/17 09:40 AM

Its a good day to be able to fish and fellowship with outstanding men like Chuck and J-Moe. I haven't had the pleasure of meeting everyone else but I an say that it sounds like a good group had some good times!!!

Re: Nueces Canyon Fishing with Two Outstanding Anglers ! - 06/07/17 06:18 PM

Thanks Alan for the reply. It's about time for us to be planning out next trip! Looking forward to it. cheers Will: All I can say is I am lucky only having to rig one bait. The "NIGHT CRAWLER"! Seems just about every type of fish love em. hooked Jamie: Your information on the Rio and Tilapia patterns paid off. You were right on the money about their movements. All I had to do was put a worm in front of them. hooked Seems that fish are pretty picky as far as other baits go. hmmm

Side Note: Looking forward as always to the next trip. thumb
Posted By: Dfitz

Re: Nueces Canyon Fishing with Two Outstanding Anglers ! - 06/08/17 01:56 AM

Glad you guys had fun, sorry to miss this one but my schedule wouldn't allow. Fly fishing can be tough, those old fish won't bite just anything, but when you figure out what they want, there is great reward.

That's some great looking water, hope I can make the next gill g2g. cheers
Posted By: J-Moe

Re: Nueces Canyon Fishing with Two Outstanding Anglers ! - 06/08/17 01:55 PM

Re: Nueces Canyon Fishing with Two Outstanding Anglers ! - 06/08/17 06:41 PM

That's a great pic, Jaime. Nice fish and really vivid colors.
Posted By: Dfitz

Re: Nueces Canyon Fishing with Two Outstanding Anglers ! - 06/09/17 02:36 AM

Originally Posted By: J-Moe

Whoa, I guess every hole down there could be called the "Aquarium Hole" breakdance

Re: Nueces Canyon Fishing with Two Outstanding Anglers ! - 06/13/17 02:47 PM

WOW. That picture Jamie could make a cover photo on just about any outdoor magazine. That is one super looking blue hole! bow_down
Posted By: JGuer04

Re: Nueces Canyon Fishing with Two Outstanding Anglers ! - 06/13/17 06:00 PM

That's pretty awesome. Great pictures.

Re: Nueces Canyon Fishing with Two Outstanding Anglers ! - 06/18/17 07:55 PM

Thanks JGuer04 for the reply. There is some super clear water in the canyon for sure. cheers
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Nueces Canyon Fishing with Two Outstanding Anglers ! - 06/24/17 11:31 AM

Awesome post Chuck. Love that canyon fishing. Were you guys fishing west of FM 155 or east? Again nice post and solid fish. woot

Re: Nueces Canyon Fishing with Two Outstanding Anglers ! - 06/30/17 11:24 AM

Thanks Curtis for the reply. cheers We fished both east and west of 155. thumb How was the bite by the last crossing? hmmm
Posted By: Wildman of the navidad

Re: Nueces Canyon Fishing with Two Outstanding Anglers ! - 06/30/17 11:28 AM

Really nice places to fish out there nice fish wtg chuck jamie and will

Re: Nueces Canyon Fishing with Two Outstanding Anglers ! - 07/04/17 01:32 PM

Thanks Clayton. cheers It's about time for you and I to hit the canyon again. hooked
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Nueces Canyon Fishing with Two Outstanding Anglers ! - 07/11/17 12:24 PM

Thanks Curtis for the reply. cheers We fished both east and west of 155. thumb How was the bite by the last crossing? hmmm

The bite was good. We picked up fish at every spot! Both the Nueces and Frio are very good fisheries. woot

Re: Nueces Canyon Fishing with Two Outstanding Anglers ! - 07/18/17 10:07 AM

Originally Posted By: Laker One

The bite was good. We picked up fish at every spot! Both the Nueces and Frio are very good fisheries. woot

Thanks Curtis. That area also got some much needed rain also. thumb
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Nueces Canyon Fishing with Two Outstanding Anglers ! - 07/23/17 04:44 PM

Nice post and fish. Chuck you have been fishing that area a lot. How are the water bodies holding out during this hot summer?

Re: Nueces Canyon Fishing with Two Outstanding Anglers ! - 07/27/17 10:11 AM

Thanks Gitter for the reply. The water bodies in both the Sabinal Valley and Nueces Canyon are doing well. Both those areas have gotten some good rains during the summer. Been catching some super fish there all year long! thumb
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Nueces Canyon Fishing with Two Outstanding Anglers ! - 07/31/17 01:48 PM

Thanks Chuck. Looks like some pretty good chances of some rain at the end of the week. Let's hope so.

Re: Nueces Canyon Fishing with Two Outstanding Anglers ! - 08/04/17 10:11 AM

banana banana banana Triple RAIN dance. thumb
Posted By: red snappa

Re: Nueces Canyon Fishing with Two Outstanding Anglers ! - 08/04/17 06:33 PM

Great post! Multi-species days are the best!

Re: Nueces Canyon Fishing with Two Outstanding Anglers ! - 08/13/17 10:07 AM

Thanks red snappa for the reply. Love that Canyon fishing! thumb
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum