Texas Fishing Forum

Need some help !!!

Posted By: garbow

Need some help !!! - 06/01/17 09:58 PM

Ok guys I've looked all over for micro top waters for gills with no real luck!! Any point me in the right direction!! And thanks!!
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Need some help !!! - 06/01/17 10:07 PM

I do not fish with lures while fishing for sunfish. However I have friends who do and it seems for top water action they get very good results on a small Rapala top water(floating) baits. Also Mega Bass has some pretty good top water baits for pan fish, but they are hard to find. thumb

Re: Need some help !!! - 06/01/17 10:09 PM

Yes sir they are hard to find and thanks for the info sir
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Need some help !!! - 06/01/17 11:01 PM

A lot of anglers who post here use artificial baits and are catching some super nice fish. I am sure you will get more feed back! cheers

Re: Need some help !!! - 06/01/17 11:14 PM

Thanks I hope so I've seem to have run out of places to look sir
Posted By: jagg

Re: Need some help !!! - 06/01/17 11:33 PM

Tiny topwaters for bream is one of my favorites! Definitely add some F03 Rapalas. They are 1/16oz and 3/2". Excellent lures but 4lb test and a long-ish, limber rod is a must. Yo-Zuri snap beans is also an old stand by. Heddon makes or has made most of their popular topwater baits in a 1/8oz and under size. I have quite a few of the Torpedoes, Lucky 13s and Spooks in their smallest sizes. Not to mention the Rebel creature baits. I can give more info later.

As far as the Heddons, you can find a lot of their teeny and tiny versions on eBay and at tackle swaps and meets.

Re: Need some help !!! - 06/02/17 12:04 PM

Jagg sir thank you so very much!! Woohoo!! The info is very much appreciated!!!
Posted By: Urban Fisher

Re: Need some help !!! - 06/02/17 01:03 PM

Those tiny lures are great, but a pain to cast at times. Try to stick with very low lbs. line.

Another option is to get you a fly rod. There are endless kinds of little poppers and surface flys that are cheap and easy to find. Fly rods are specifically made to cast small, lightweight lures.
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Need some help !!! - 06/02/17 01:41 PM

Bass Pro and Acadamey usually have a good stock of Rapalas. Also try Amazon.
Posted By: gar1970

Re: Need some help !!! - 06/02/17 06:24 PM

most of these have lips for diving but i catch the most when i just twitch them on the surface. All came from walmart

Re: Need some help !!! - 06/02/17 06:43 PM

Wow!! Thanks guys !! Casting lite weights is no problem with the setup I've got can cast a 1/64 jig about 10-15 feet and where I fish hahahhaa that's all the way across!! Guys I really appreciate all the info and can't thank y'all enough!!
Posted By: uacdub

Re: Need some help !!! - 06/02/17 07:01 PM

You don't need no special pan fish lure. Just do what I do, plan on catching bass and you catch these instead.

Posted By: CopenhagenPete

Re: Need some help !!! - 06/02/17 07:22 PM

Originally Posted By: gar1970
most of these have lips for diving but i catch the most when i just twitch them on the surface. All came from walmart

Used to use those diving crickets back in Cibolo Creek back in the day with good success. Very fun way to fish. I'd also catch them by twitching on the surface.
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Need some help !!! - 06/02/17 08:10 PM

Yes Sir I go to Walmart a lot. Get most of my sunfish lures there. The small Betsy Minnow is a Bluegill catcher for sure! hooked
Posted By: gar1970

Re: Need some help !!! - 06/04/17 06:46 AM

If i had to choose only one it would be the yellow crickhopper in the smaller size than the two shown. I've caught bass,catfish,bluegills, and even gar with it
Posted By: SARG

Re: Need some help !!! - 06/04/17 10:19 AM

Look for those clear casting bobbers and run your bait out about 30"
It will change your distance from feet to yards real easy
Clipping a small hook to the bottom wire of the bobber will also catch them as they do tend to slap at the bobber often.
I use this rig when fishing for big cat bait,I keep the really big ones for the grease wink
Posted By: Brad R

Re: Need some help !!! - 06/04/17 11:59 AM

This, for garbow and everyone else, too: a way to tie on a small topwater and use it as an ersatz float.

SARG mentions the clear plastic casting bobbers some of which can be filled with water to adjust buoyancy. I like that idea. too, but this angler's idea seems even better.

If you watch all three videos in the series of this angler's approach, I bet more than a few of you (I did!) will tear up a topwater (remove its trebels) and tie on a dry fly the way he recommends. It might pull all of us who have spinning tackle sort into the fly fishing world. We suddenly have access to the huge array of various fly lures.

Really worth a watch! Brad

Spinning tackle for fly fishing modification idea

Re: Need some help !!! - 06/04/17 06:39 PM

Oh wow thanks sir
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum