Texas Fishing Forum

Rainbow Trout and Coppernose Bluegill !

Posted By: banker-always fishing

Rainbow Trout and Coppernose Bluegill ! - 02/24/17 12:22 AM

Met up with Will aka 1960 Texan who was fishing at the Blanco State Park. Will told me that the Blanco River had been stocked this past Monday with an extra trout stocking. I was geared only for sunfish. Will caught over 15 nice Rainbow Trout using a white Rooster Tail and a gold Super Duper lure. He caught several in the 11 and 12 inch range. I was lucky and picked up six trout, a couple of nice Redbreast Sunfish, and a couple of small Bluegill. I was using worms and started out with a size six cricket hook. Switched to a size ten eagle claw and had better results of the trout. We kept a few for the frying pan. We took a lunch break at the local D.Q. and then hit a pond on the way home. With this latest warm spell the nice Coppernose Bluegill were on the move. We caught eight nice Bluegill in the 8 to 9 inch range. Rounding out the catch were a few smaller Bluegill and a small bass. Worms and spinner baits were used. All of the pond fish were released. Fried up the trout once I got home. Boy were they GOOD. Spending a day catching Rainbow Trout and Coppernose Bluegills with a friend. It just don't get any better! fish

Posted By: 1960texan

Re: Rainbow Trout and Coppernose Bluegill ! - 02/24/17 01:42 AM

Man, today was a good day, Chuck! It was fun fishing with you and enjoying the great outdoors.

Wish I'd taken more than one photo. Here's the first trout of the day:

By the way, I didn't have my tape measure on me today so I laid the biggest trout I caught against my spinning rod before I released him. When I got home I measured the distance between the two points on the rod to get an idea of how big the fish was. Imagine my surprise when I saw that it was 13 and 1/2 inches.

Looking forward to doing a lot more fishing with you this year.

Re: Rainbow Trout and Coppernose Bluegill ! - 02/24/17 10:53 AM

Enjoyed the day Will ! Bluegill and trout are a nice combination. thumb
Posted By: mark.tpt

Re: Rainbow Trout and Coppernose Bluegill ! - 02/24/17 06:09 PM

Beautiful fish, and good eating!

Re: Rainbow Trout and Coppernose Bluegill ! - 02/28/17 11:17 AM

Thanks mark.tpt for the reply! cheers
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Rainbow Trout and Coppernose Bluegill ! - 03/01/17 02:05 PM

Trout and Bluegill great combination. Spring is right around the corner. How will the sunfish bite be this year? Also what has been the latest time of the year you have caught a trout?
Posted By: 1960texan

Re: Rainbow Trout and Coppernose Bluegill ! - 03/02/17 02:33 AM

Originally Posted By: Gitter Done
Also what has been the latest time of the year you have caught a trout?

You can normally catch trout year-round between the tailrace and Lazy L & L on the Guadalupe, but personally I start avoiding the Guad during spring break and the summer months. Last year my final trout was in March.

I've noticed that trout don't seem to recover as well on the warmer days, so as much as I enjoy catching them I do my best to target other species until the weather cools down a bit.
Posted By: Wildman of the navidad

Re: Rainbow Trout and Coppernose Bluegill ! - 03/02/17 03:25 AM

Nice fish and informative post as alwase coolio

Re: Rainbow Trout and Coppernose Bluegill ! - 03/08/17 11:22 AM

Thanks Gitter,and Clayton for the replies. cheers Gitter: Plus #1 on what Will 1960Texas stated. breakdance As for me the latest I have caught a Trout in Texas has been in late March fishing in the Blanco State Park! thumb
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Rainbow Trout and Coppernose Bluegill ! - 03/13/17 03:10 PM

Thanks Road Texan and Chuck for the information. Do not recall seeing any new trout postings after March!

Re: Rainbow Trout and Coppernose Bluegill ! - 03/16/17 10:08 AM

Originally Posted By: Gitter Done
Thanks Road Texan and Chuck for the information. Do not recall seeing any new trout postings after March!

Little to none! blablabla
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Rainbow Trout and Coppernose Bluegill ! - 03/20/17 03:04 AM

As always nice post Chuck. Looks like the last of the trout post until next winter! Going to be pond fishing a lot more this year with the flyrod. Got a 3wt I want to break in. breakdance

Side Note: You need to "hang up" your Ultra Light and switch to a flyrod! bannana2

Re: Rainbow Trout and Coppernose Bluegill ! - 03/21/17 09:40 AM

Originally Posted By: Laker One
As always nice post Chuck. Looks like the last of the trout post until next winter! Going to be pond fishing a lot more this year with the flyrod. Got a 3wt I want to break in. breakdance

Side Note: You need to "hang up" your Ultra Light and switch to a flyrod! bannana2

taz

Re: Rainbow Trout and Coppernose Bluegill ! - 03/23/17 11:26 AM

taz I guess that means NO! eeks
Posted By: catcrap

Re: Rainbow Trout and Coppernose Bluegill ! - 03/24/17 08:45 PM

shoot, if I had the kind of luck Banker always has, I wouldn't change a thing!

Re: Rainbow Trout and Coppernose Bluegill ! - 03/26/17 11:26 AM

Originally Posted By: catcrap

You have a point there. He does catch his fare share of BIG sunnies. cheers

Re: Rainbow Trout and Coppernose Bluegill ! - 03/31/17 10:07 AM

Originally Posted By: Laker One
Originally Posted By: catcrap

You have a point there. He does catch his fare share of BIG sunnies. cheers

Yes I do! hooked

Re: Rainbow Trout and Coppernose Bluegill ! - 04/05/17 02:00 PM

I think Texas is just about the only State where you can catch Rainbow Trout,LMB,and Copper Nose Bluegill,all in the same day! hmmm

Side Note: The odds really go down after the stocking season is over! nuts

Re: Rainbow Trout and Coppernose Bluegill ! - 04/09/17 09:07 AM

Yes Sir the odds go down pretty good after the stocking season for sure! hmmm
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum