Texas Fishing Forum

Gills&Rainbows! Lost Maples State Park!

Posted By: banker-always fishing

Gills&Rainbows! Lost Maples State Park! - 01/11/17 12:07 AM

Fished Lost Maples State Park the other day and both the Bluegill and Rainbow Trout were biting!The fish were in a spring fed pond. It was a mile walk to and from the pond and the only way to the pond was by foot. Caught several nice Bluegill and a limit of nice trout. Caught about twenty trout and kept five. I released the Bluegill. The Bluegill were caught using Gulp Alive Night Crawlers fishing them off of the bottom next to ledges and grass beds. The trout were all caught using a gold Super Duper Lure. The pond is about six feet deep with clear water. The scenery is beautiful and the walk was well worth it. Catching some nice Bluegill and Rainbow Trout in the Texas Hill Country. It just don't get any better! fish

Posted By: Fishbonz

Re: Gills&Rainbows! Lost Maples State Park! - 01/11/17 12:40 AM

WTG! thumb
Posted By: J-Moe

Re: Gills&Rainbows! Lost Maples State Park! - 01/11/17 12:47 AM

Our Central Texas guide to the Hill Country provides us with another gem I had no idea about. Awesome Sir
Posted By: gar1970

Re: Gills&Rainbows! Lost Maples State Park! - 01/11/17 01:38 AM

Love that park! Was that can creek you were fishing?
Posted By: dmunsie

Re: Gills&Rainbows! Lost Maples State Park! - 01/11/17 01:55 AM

Very nice! clap
Posted By: 1960texan

Re: Gills&Rainbows! Lost Maples State Park! - 01/11/17 05:29 AM

Great report and awesome photos Chuck!

Originally Posted By: J-Moe
Our Central Texas guide to the Hill Country provides us with another gem I had not idea about. Awesome Sir

LOL...I was thinking the same thing, J-Moe. Chuck is a regular encyclopedia of good places to fish!

Re: Gills&Rainbows! Lost Maples State Park! - 01/11/17 11:27 AM

Thanks guys for the replies. You would be surprised how many GREAT places Texas has to fish. partyon Love making ROAD TRIPS! walking Leo: Can creek runs to the left of the pond. For what I was told at the park office and for what I saw this was a spring fed pond locked in by limestone cliffs! Friends of mine have told me in the past that both the pond and Sabinal River are good places to fish in the park. I did walk by Can Creek and it had water flowing! thumb
Posted By: Hunter498

Re: Gills&Rainbows! Lost Maples State Park! - 01/11/17 11:27 AM

Great job Chuck!
Posted By: Wildman of the navidad

Re: Gills&Rainbows! Lost Maples State Park! - 01/11/17 05:40 PM

Awesome
Posted By: Naggler

Re: Gills&Rainbows! Lost Maples State Park! - 01/13/17 12:59 AM

Thanks for the pics! Beautiful. cheers
Posted By: Scoundrel

Re: Gills&Rainbows! Lost Maples State Park! - 01/15/17 04:55 AM

Looks like a splendid spot to unwind.

Re: Gills&Rainbows! Lost Maples State Park! - 01/22/17 10:23 AM

Thanks Allen,Clayton,Naggler,and Scoundrel for the replies. cheers Love that Bluegill,Trout combination. thumb
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Gills&Rainbows! Lost Maples State Park! - 02/02/17 01:59 AM

Nice fish! Was the pond stocked part of the Sabinal River? If not is the Sabinal River stocked?

Re: Gills&Rainbows! Lost Maples State Park! - 02/12/17 10:15 AM

Thanks Gitter for the reply. cheers The pond is not part of the Sabinal. It is totally separate. eeks The Sabinal River is stocked once with trout and the stocking takes place in Utopia. thumb
Posted By: Flags

Re: Gills&Rainbows! Lost Maples State Park! - 02/12/17 01:50 PM

I grew up fishing small creeks and spring fed ponds for trout in my native CO. This post takes me back in time. You keep posting things like this and I'm gonna have to take me a road trip and do some fishing down your way.

Re: Gills&Rainbows! Lost Maples State Park! - 02/19/17 10:20 AM

Thanks Flags! cheers This years stocking season is just about over. You should put next years season on your road trip plans. It would be very much worth it! The Sabinal, Guadalupe,and Blanco Rivers are some beautiful places to fish! thumb

Side Note: The Sunfish bite is AWESOME also. Should be a GREAT year! hooked
Posted By: Flags

Re: Gills&Rainbows! Lost Maples State Park! - 02/20/17 05:01 PM

How are those rivers for public access and how hard are they to find access to for a guy not really familiar with the area? Any good maps you suggest?

Re: Gills&Rainbows! Lost Maples State Park! - 02/21/17 11:17 AM

Originally Posted By: Flags
How are those rivers for public access and how hard are they to find access to for a guy not really familiar with the area? Any good maps you suggest?

These rivers have good public access. The Blanco river is on the Blanco State Park and there is also a lot of access on River Road that is just up from the State Park. There are also other parks on the Blanco in the San Marcus area not to mention the several crossings. The Guadalupe River also has a State Park off of HWY 46. Guadalupe State Park. There are also numerous river crossings and camps along River Road in Comal County. The Sabinal River runs through Lost Maples State Park and the Frio River runs through the Garner State Park. There are several public areas for the Nueces River that are along HWY 55 in Uvalde County and Real County. The rivers are in pretty good shape. thumb
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Gills&Rainbows! Lost Maples State Park! - 02/26/17 12:38 PM

Nice post and fish Chuck. Lost Maples is on my radar screen. Are the fishing area's good for fly fishing? Again nice post. woot

Re: Gills&Rainbows! Lost Maples State Park! - 03/03/17 11:13 AM

Thanks Curtis for the reply! cheers Lost Maples is very fly fish friendly. Just about all of the State Parks that I fish seem to have plenty of spots to fly fish and wade. thumb

Re: Gills&Rainbows! Lost Maples State Park! - 03/07/17 02:13 PM

Thanks Chuck. Hopefully I will be able to fish Lost Maples this upcoming spring and summer!

Re: Gills&Rainbows! Lost Maples State Park! - 03/10/17 11:22 AM

Originally Posted By: Laker One
Thanks Chuck. Hopefully I will be able to fish Lost Maples this upcoming spring and summer!

It's worth the trip! Great park and nice water! River and ponds should be in GREAT shape with all the rain they have been getting! thumb
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Gills&Rainbows! Lost Maples State Park! - 03/13/17 03:33 PM

Originally Posted By: banker-always fishing
Thanks Gitter for the reply. cheers The pond is not part of the Sabinal. It is totally separate. eeks The Sabinal River is stocked once with trout and the stocking takes place in Utopia. thumb

Thanks!

Re: Gills&Rainbows! Lost Maples State Park! - 03/17/17 10:04 AM

Originally Posted By: Gitter Done
Originally Posted By: banker-always fishing

Thanks!

thumb

Re: Gills&Rainbows! Lost Maples State Park! - 04/07/17 11:15 AM

Made reservations for early September for a two day stay at the park! Camping and catching a few fish are the plans.

Side Note: Also fishing the Nueces Canyon for three days this month! rockon

Re: Gills&Rainbows! Lost Maples State Park! - 04/13/17 10:16 AM

You will have a GREAT time up there Curtis! Nice place to visit. thumb
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum