Texas Fishing Forum

Troutin' in Chandler #2

Posted By: Flags

Troutin' in Chandler #2 - 12/26/16 07:49 PM

Went back to Chandler today. I dug around in my storage looking for some of my trout gear. I pulled out a 5 ft ultra-light rod and spooled it with fresh 2 lb line and managed to locate a box of trout lures and spinners. Decided to toss hardware today. This was the result:

They ran 10-11 inches and I turned about 5 loose and had one about 14 inches right to the bank before he jumped and tossed the lure. All these were caught on a 1/8th oz silver Kastmaster, which was always one of my favorite trout lures when I lived in CO. For those that aren't familiar with them, this is the one I used today with a quarter for size comparison:

These fish were kept for an old widow lady that lives next door. She asked about getting some fish and I was more than happy to oblige her since she is a real sweet old lady. They should make a couple meals for her.

Cheers Y'all.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Troutin' in Chandler #2 - 12/26/16 08:12 PM

Awesome post and some super nice fish. Good job Flags. cheers

Side Note: Try to get you some Super Duper Lures(Gold). They work FANTASTIC! hooked

Re: Troutin' in Chandler #2 - 12/26/16 10:46 PM

Yeah, Super Dupers, Thomas Buoyants and silver MEPPs are all good for trout but I've always seemed to do better with Kastmasters. Something about that wobbling side to side action just seems to trigger a lot of strikes.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Troutin' in Chandler #2 - 12/26/16 11:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Flags
Yeah, Super Dupers, Thomas Buoyants and silver MEPPs are all good for trout but I've always seemed to do better with Kastmasters. Something about that wobbling side to side action just seems to trigger a lot of strikes.

Totally Agree! thumb
Posted By: drrouter

Re: Troutin' in Chandler #2 - 12/26/16 11:49 PM

Do trout make it at all through the summer in CTexas?
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Troutin' in Chandler #2 - 12/29/16 05:33 PM

Great post! woot Love your lure Flaggs!

Side Note: Do you ever use a flyrod?

Re: Troutin' in Chandler #2 - 12/30/16 02:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Laker One

Nope. Ultra-light spinning rod has always been my method for trout. My Dad used one when I was growing up in CO but I did my trout fishing on little streams with heavy brush on the banks and casting a flyrod wasn't feasible but a little spinning rig worked great and I've seen no reason to change.
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Troutin' in Chandler #2 - 01/01/17 03:30 AM

Originally Posted By: Flags
Originally Posted By: Laker One

Nope. Ultra-light spinning rod has always been my method for trout. My Dad used one when I was growing up in CO but I did my trout fishing on little streams with heavy brush on the banks and casting a flyrod wasn't feasible but a little spinning rig worked great and I've seen no reason to change.

I love my spinning rigs also but over the last two years I have taken to fly fishing. Got my first limit of trout last week on the fly. It was a blast catching Rainbows on my 3 weight flyrod. woot
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Troutin' in Chandler #2 - 01/02/17 01:06 AM

Nice fish. Love the lure! Love seeing other area reports.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum