Texas Fishing Forum

Nothin' But Longears

Posted By: 1960texan

Nothin' But Longears - 11/21/16 10:44 PM

Thanksgiving makes for a slow work week, so I was able to call it a day late this morning. After running a few errands I hit Cypress Bend Park in New Braunfels around 11:00 am, and caught this guy on my first cast:

He was definitely a harbinger of things to come. Within the next hour I caught a few more:

I got tired of throwing the black Roostertail and tried a chartreuse Roostertail and a black and gold Rapala stick bait, but didn't get a look or a nibble from anything. Then I switched to a #1 Mepps and caught this guy before heading back to the house:

It was a solid two hours of fishing, and it got my mind right. This is probably going to be my last chance to get a line wet until next week, at which time I fully expect to have a severe case of "trout fever"! Hope everyone has a happy and safe Thanksgiving.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Nothin' But Longears - 11/22/16 01:02 AM

Nice fish. Those are Redbreast and Hybrid Sunfish. eeks Great fighters on ultralight. boxing I almost came out your way. thumb
Posted By: J-Moe

Re: Nothin' But Longears - 11/22/16 01:04 AM

Great day of fishing. Great pictures and report. thumb

FYI, those are actually redbreast. Longear actually have a shorter ear with white on the edges. I can never figure out why they named them this way.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Nothin' But Longears - 11/22/16 01:10 AM

Originally Posted By: J-Moe

FYI, those are actually redbreast. Longear actually have a shorter ear with white on the edges. I can never figure out why they named them this way.

I would call the second fish a Hybrid. All the others are Redbreast. Just my two cents. 2cents
Posted By: 1960texan

Re: Nothin' But Longears - 11/22/16 02:17 AM

Originally Posted By: banker-always fishing
Nice fish. Those are Redbreast and Hybrid Sunfish. eeks Great fighters on ultralight. boxing I almost came out your way. thumb

Banker and J-Moe, I bow to ya'll's knowledge! J-Moe, I can't figure it either. Banker, we'll met up on a river one of these days!
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Nothin' But Longears - 11/23/16 12:57 PM

Originally Posted By: banker-always fishing

I would call the second fish a Hybrid. All the others are Redbreast. Just my two cents. 2cents

Plus #1.

Side Note: Nice fish. Good job woot
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Nothin' But Longears - 11/24/16 01:35 PM

Nice fish!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum