Texas Fishing Forum

Nueces River Flyrod Record Redear!

Posted By: banker-always fishing

Nueces River Flyrod Record Redear! - 11/10/16 11:43 PM

Alan Hunter aka Hunter 498 tagged out yet another record sunfish while fishing the Nueces River the other day. Alan's Redear was 9.10" in length with a girth of 7.75". The official weight of the fish was .54 Lbs good enough for the Fly-Rod record Redear. Paper work will be sent to Parks&Wildlife for certification. Nicely done by a FANTASTIC ANGLER!

Posted By: Hunter498

Re: Nueces River Flyrod Record Redear! - 11/11/16 10:48 AM

Thanks again Chuck, great couple of days with you and Jamie!!
Posted By: J-Moe

Re: Nueces River Flyrod Record Redear! - 11/11/16 12:34 PM

One of many big redear that were well earned. Congrats thumb

I'll have to tie up a few of those flies you were using to catch it. Also, the little crystal white woolly bugger you were having such success with on previous trips has worked great for me as well. I fished a small creek in Brenham yesterday and it outperformed any other fly I tried. I caught bluegill, longear, green sunfish and bass off of it. I'll have to spend some time testing it against the magical clouser on white bass this year. White has proven over and over to be the most successful color for me in fast moving water. I bet the sunfish might even like a white Briminator too, LOL.

On a side note, the coloring on one of the long ears I caught yesterday was incredible. I've caught them with brilliant red bodies before but this one had a brilliantly colored green face. Seeing it in the water as I pulled it in was really cool.

Re: Nueces River Flyrod Record Redear! - 11/14/16 01:47 PM

One thing about both the Nueces Canyon and Sabinal Valley there are some nice Redear in those water bodies. A lot of places on those rivers and creeks get very little fishing pressure! thumb
Posted By: red snappa

Re: Nueces River Flyrod Record Redear! - 11/15/16 05:45 PM

Nice Redear! Congrats on the record! They are simply the best eating freshwater fish to me! thumb thumb
Posted By: gar1970

Re: Nueces River Flyrod Record Redear! - 11/15/16 10:34 PM

Congrats alan on yet another record!

Re: Nueces River Flyrod Record Redear! - 11/16/16 10:20 AM

Thank you guys!!
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Nueces River Flyrod Record Redear! - 11/21/16 01:44 PM

Nice fish and congratulations Hunter498 on your record. What type of fly were you using and how deep was the fish? Also did you use any poppers? Again congratulations on a fine fish and your record. woot

Re: Nueces River Flyrod Record Redear! - 11/27/16 10:20 AM

Originally Posted By: red snappa
Nice Redear! Congrats on the record! They are simply the best eating freshwater fish to me! thumb thumb

Yes Sir they are the best eating fish for sure however Crappie are Mighty Fine also! thumb

Re: Nueces River Flyrod Record Redear! - 11/27/16 11:58 AM

Mostly Wooley Boogers and clousers, white and greeen and some other sinking flies, the fish were deeper and I had to get down to them!
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Nueces River Flyrod Record Redear! - 12/01/16 03:23 PM

Thanks Hunter498 for the information. Will be taking Wooley Boogers and Clousers with me this upcoming Spring when me and some friends of mine Kayak the Nueces.
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Nueces River Flyrod Record Redear! - 12/06/16 02:17 PM

Nice fish and congratulations Hunter498 on your record Redear! Looks like you and J-Moe are nailing down some of those Flyrod records. Good job Sir!

Side Note: You guys seeing/catching any Catfish?

Re: Nueces River Flyrod Record Redear! - 12/09/16 11:15 AM

Caught a couple of small Channel Cat's about 13". Seen some big ones but they did not bite. thumb

Re: Nueces River Flyrod Record Redear! - 12/09/16 12:14 PM

Thx for the comments. Good fishing but great company!
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Nueces River Flyrod Record Redear! - 12/12/16 03:02 PM

Originally Posted By: banker-always fishing
Caught a couple of small Channel Cat's about 13". Seen some big ones but they did not bite. thumb

Thanks Chuck. Again Congratulations Hunter498 on your record.

Re: Nueces River Flyrod Record Redear! - 12/19/16 11:10 AM

No problem Gitter! cheers
Posted By: Scoundrel

Re: Nueces River Flyrod Record Redear! - 12/20/16 02:39 AM

Nice job. Gives us something new to shoot for.

Re: Nueces River Flyrod Record Redear! - 12/26/16 11:17 AM

Records are made to be broken! hooked
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum