Texas Fishing Forum

Sunfish Anglers!

Posted By: Gitter Done

Sunfish Anglers! - 11/02/16 12:50 PM

What has been the three hardest sunfish to catch this year? You can also include Rios.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Sunfish Anglers! - 11/02/16 01:15 PM

I submitted my vote! I voted twice for the Redear! hammer and the other for the Warmouth. The Warmouth has been the hardest for me to catch this year. hide2 As hard as I had fished the creeks this year I thought I would have caught more. I think I have caught about 10 this year. hmmm As for the Redear I have caught a lot in the 7 to 9 inch range but not as many in past years. As for the 10 inch plus. They have been very hard to find. peep I think I have only caught between 10 to 20 trophy Redear this year. Late fall and early winter are usually good times to catch trophy Redear! thumb

Side Note: You have Redear listed twice! nuts At least you have the six sunfish! clap clap
Posted By: KurtActual

Re: Sunfish Anglers! - 11/03/16 03:24 PM

Same as banker lizard

Cant seem to find a red ear or warmouth anywhere
Posted By: Smithaven

Re: Sunfish Anglers! - 11/03/16 04:46 PM

Redear are disappearing from Texas waters. No one seems to know why.
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Sunfish Anglers! - 11/11/16 01:43 PM

I picked the Warmouth as the hardest fish for me to catch. Followed by the Green and Longear. I did not hit the creeks that hard this year but concentrated on the rivers and lakes a lot. I did hit some ponds this year also. If I fish the creeks more I would have caught more Greens and Longear!
Posted By: fiSherwood

Re: Sunfish Anglers! - 11/11/16 01:46 PM

I've caught all of the others but never a redear or warmouth... so they got my vote!
Posted By: J-Moe

Re: Sunfish Anglers! - 11/11/16 03:39 PM

I voted for red ear and redbreast. We don't have many of either of these in the Lake Somerville watershed. Surprisingly, I have caught a lot more Warmouth this year. Since the floods there are a lot more Warmouth in the Lake Somerville watershed. I also found that I have been able to catch more of them by using a vertical presentation in the brush or rocks. A popper dropper rig on my fly rod has been far more productive than stripping a fly through the water column.
Posted By: Kent Meadows aka Team Hooligan

Re: Sunfish Anglers! - 11/14/16 05:17 PM

Redear....but fellows yall know Ive been putting a lot of thought on this topic... I think I may be on to something here. In those couple of years that we had the 12" Monsters and such I remember the Mayfly hatches so thick that limbs of willows were hanging down. My theory is what if its a cycle. Every X many of years we have a large bug crop that just so co-exist with our Sunfish getting to the end of their growth/life cycle ? Perhaps in another year we will see an increase in numbers of big Redear/ Redbreast again. I have not looked into the cycles of mayflies but I do know we have not had any hatches of the magnitude like we did in 2012/13...Reading back in old posts I even saw that Lake Dunlap was having some big hatches as well at the same I was here in Austin....However this does not really account for the NON existent Redear anywhere in the State... its been over a year since I caught 1
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum