Texas Fishing Forum

Canyon lake - lessons learned

Posted By: Vogey

Canyon lake - lessons learned - 10/18/16 09:04 PM

Got to the lake at sunrise..launched at Jacobs Creek ramp..headed cross lake to Toms Creek to get outa the wind. Caught a few greens and got hung up on 4th cast. Thought I could reach down and get it unhooked and bam...went overboard. Lessons learned 1) objects in the water are farther away than they appear 2) At 65, I am not as strong as I used to be...could not lift myself up over the bow or stern...had to swim the boat to shallow water. 3) those cheap Timex watches ARE waterproof ! 4) prescription eyeglasses don't float, and neither does my favorite ultra lite combo that somehow ended up in the lake 5) no matter how long u fish for a sunken rod and reel...it's gone. Took off most of my clothes and continued fishing. After about an hour I noticed blood on my forehead and a big knot (Musta hit something when I went overboard). Caught a pretty nice bluegill and it shook off burying its spine in my bare toe...now I am bleeding in 2 places...can't wait til the wife gets home and I tell her I need a new pair of glasses($200) and a new rod & reel combo ($100)...I think the last thing she said to me this morning was "be careful".Anyway, here are the facts: Caught maybe 20-30 small bluegill in Toms Creek (photo) Water temp 76 degrees, fished night crawlers on bottom. Headed back around 11:30 and decided to try a marina (boat slips) in 25-35 feet of water. Here I caught 5 or 6 real nice fish like the one in the photo, plus a 4 lb catfish...

Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Canyon lake - lessons learned - 10/18/16 09:26 PM

Wow Vogey! taz That is one trip you will never forget! nuts Glad you made it out without any serious injury. It could have been a lot worst. eeks As for the lost tackle and glasses. They can be replaced. You cannot! thumb

Side Note: Glad you were able to catch a few fish! cheers
Posted By: boocat

Re: Canyon lake - lessons learned - 10/19/16 12:23 AM

ok then.. glad ur not dead. Could have been a search and recovery real easy. I always wear my light weight inflatable when im alone,, not as young as I used to be either, crummy swimmer.. lesson learned?? yes??
Posted By: J-Moe

Re: Canyon lake - lessons learned - 10/19/16 12:57 AM

Sounds like a typical day for me and my kayak roflmao
Posted By: 1960texan

Re: Canyon lake - lessons learned - 10/19/16 02:28 AM

Glad you made it home, Vogey!

By the way, that second pic looks like a slice of paradise.
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Canyon lake - lessons learned - 10/19/16 01:12 PM

OMG Glad you are OK!

Side Note: Keep those South Central Reports coming!
Posted By: Kent Meadows aka Team Hooligan

Re: Canyon lake - lessons learned - 10/19/16 01:22 PM

and that's how fast it can happen! routine outing like you make every Tuesday, could have so easily been a much worse outcome. Everyone of us reading this post had better do a reality check right now about what we do each time we go out. From Kayaks, to walking the limestone banks, and every other mode of fishing, the chance is always there of an accident, and our accidents around water are even more risky. This man's story chilled me to the bone, hitting his head while falling in is a "end of watch" event...certainly the Lord was not ready for him yet.
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Canyon lake - lessons learned - 10/28/16 03:21 PM

Super report and yes lessons learned! Glad you are OK! woot
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum