Texas Fishing Forum

Crickets

Posted By: FishinTime

Crickets - 10/13/16 10:49 PM

Been using crickets for 52 years, started using them at White Rock Lake in Dallas at 6 years old. Used to buy them at a bait shop buy the spillway. Never really tried anything else, they always seemed to attack the crickets.
Sooooo .... what is your favorite bait?
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Crickets - 10/13/16 11:56 PM

hooked crickets are deadly, they cant resist..but I actually like a red wiggler as much or more.
Bream can strip a cricket in one swipe,...then ya gotta rebait,..and go again...repeat...
with a worm, I can catch 2-3-4 fish on one worm, plus a missed fish dosent mean ya gotta rebait,..quick readjust and right back in the water...crickets get expensive quick, and I have a hard time chasing around in that little wire bucket,..
give me a good ole worm anytime,... fish
Posted By: Chiprat

Re: Crickets - 10/14/16 01:32 AM

Originally Posted By: JIM SR.
hooked crickets are deadly, they cant resist..but I actually like a red wiggler as much or more.
Bream can strip a cricket in one swipe,...then ya gotta rebait,..and go again...repeat...
with a worm, I can catch 2-3-4 fish on one worm, plus a missed fish dosent mean ya gotta rebait,..quick readjust and right back in the water...crickets get expensive quick, and I have a hard time chasing around in that little wire bucket,..
give me a good ole worm anytime,... fish

+++++
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Crickets - 10/14/16 10:40 AM

For Sunfish it is WORMS,WORMS,and WORMS! Easy to get. Easy to use,and just about every fish love em! hooked
Posted By: Bill Durham

Re: Crickets - 10/14/16 02:07 PM

I haven't fished for bluegills in years, but when I did I liked crickets over worms just because they were less of a mess to fish with! I used to love to fish a cricket on a fly rod, roll it out and watch the leader/fly line joint for the strike.. such fun. That was probably 40 years ago. We were meat fishing back then.. I just got tired of cleaning gills so I quit fishing for them.

BD
Posted By: REDGUN

Re: Crickets - 10/14/16 04:52 PM

Worms for smaller gills, crickets for chasing the bigger ones.
Posted By: Action_Jackson

Re: Crickets - 10/14/16 07:53 PM

Originally Posted By: REDGUN
Worms for smaller gills, crickets for chasing the bigger ones.

+1
Posted By: BCasper

Re: Crickets - 10/14/16 09:56 PM

In Wisconsin- wax worms,spikes and worms. In Texas-crickets and worms.
Posted By: Coreywms

Re: Crickets - 10/15/16 02:33 AM

What are do y'all think about artificial crickets. I think i paid $3 for 100 of these.

Re: Crickets - 10/15/16 03:19 AM

Originally Posted By: Coreywms

What are do y'all think about artificial crickets. I think i paid $3 for 100 of these.

Bet they would work however fish usually detect a smell on real baits such as live Worms,Crickets,etc. The Gulp Alive products are treated with a smell that attracts fish. Should be noted that nothing beats live night crawlers or live crickets. thumb

Re: Crickets - 10/15/16 04:19 AM

I was thinking about putting some in my worm farm for about a week. Do you think that will mask the smell.

Re: Crickets - 10/15/16 09:13 AM

Originally Posted By: Coreywms
I was thinking about putting some in my worm farm for about a week. Do you think that will mask the smell.

Good Idea! You can try it and let us know the results! hmmm
Posted By: Cast

Re: Crickets - 10/15/16 12:29 PM

Why does your worm farm smell bad? It shouldn't. Mine smells like clean earth.
Posted By: Smithaven

Re: Crickets - 10/15/16 01:21 PM

I will add my voice. Crickets are the best bait I have ever found for sunfish. I have used all the usual baits and some pretty unusual baits, and most will catch fish when the bite is good. Crickets will outperform all others even when the bite is bad.

That said, I rarely use them these days. The days when every good bait store had crickets for 25 cents a tube are long gone. A tube was between a dozen to two dozen bugs. The only practical way to get them these days is on line. For that reason I rarely use them, but instead settle for small segments of nightcrawlers.

Re: Crickets - 10/15/16 03:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Cast
Why does your worm farm smell bad? It shouldn't. Mine smells like clean earth.

It doesnt smell bad. The earthy smell is what i hope to mask the plastic smell with.
Posted By: FishinTime

Re: Crickets - 10/15/16 03:41 PM

The last time I bought crickets was at Petco, was told not to tell them they were for fishing or they wouldn't sell them to me. Don't know if that was true or not but I didn't want to take any chances. They were expensive but worth every penny because the wife and I used them at Blue Gill Lakes in Canton and I watched her catch so many huge bluegills I couldn't believe it and 3 Coppernose Bluegill that I had to grab with both hands. They had to be way over a pound each. I finally told her to take a break so I could fish because all I had time to do was bait her hook and take her fish off lol. This was off the dock of the A-frame cabin, the owner later told me the bluegill fishing was better on the other long dock that stretched across the pond. He came down and fed the fish at one point and it looked like a bunch of piranha feeding.
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Crickets - 10/16/16 01:28 AM

Always use artificial!
Posted By: PaPa@fork

Re: Crickets - 10/20/16 11:35 AM

[quote=banker-always fishing]For Sunfish it is WORMS,WORMS,and WORMS! Easy to get. Easy to use,and just about every fish love em! hooked [/quote

X2
Posted By: Jon

Re: Crickets - 10/21/16 10:00 PM

Crickets. Live ones.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum