Texas Fishing Forum

Flyrod Record Fest ! FANTASTIC BITE !

Posted By: banker-always fishing

Flyrod Record Fest ! FANTASTIC BITE ! - 10/05/16 05:20 PM

Had the privilege and honor to fish with Jamie aka J-Moe. Jamie came down from his home town of Brenham and we fished the whole day on the Cibolo Creek. We fished from 7:30am till 6:30pm and caught over 100 fish. The bite was AWESOME and the creek was in GREAT condition. Over half the fish were good size including the numerous Redbreast and Rios that were over a half pound. Jamie fished his flyrod the whole time switching out flies a bunch. I was using my trusty ultra light spinning rig with worms and a bottom technique. The HIGHLIGHT of the trip was Jamie's two record flyrod fish. The very first cast of the morning he nailed a Redbreast with a certified weight of .54 Lbs. He then finished the day catching his last fish which was a TROPHY 9.25" Rio with a certified weight of .86 Lbs. The Rio will also earn Jamie a Big Fish Award! Jamie also lost a very nice Green Sunfish that possibly could have been a State record for flyrod. The fish got off just as he was starting to take it out of the water. Jamie also caught a nice Large Mouth Bass that was a little over 2 pounds. Nice Bluegill,Hybrids,and Longear rounded out the catch. Fish were holding by currents next to brush piles by the bank. Fish were released to fight again. We took a lunch break and had a great lunch at Taqueria Chapala Jalisco Restaurant located in Universal City.Paper work will be sent to Texas Parks&Wildlife for the two record fish. Fishing with a good friend and a MASTER FLYROD ANGLER! It just don't get any better! fish

Re: Flyrod Record Fest ! FANTASTIC BITE ! - 10/05/16 05:27 PM

A HUGE CONGRATULATIONS Jamie! Watching you making those pin point cast with that flyrod was simply awesome. Your determination on getting your target Rio truly paid off! Again congratulations on your two Cibolo Creek record fish! bow_down

Side Note: Had a BLAST! Looking forward to the next time! thumb
Posted By: 1960texan

Re: Flyrod Record Fest ! FANTASTIC BITE ! - 10/05/16 10:12 PM

Congrats J-Moe! That's an epic day of fishing.

Re: Flyrod Record Fest ! FANTASTIC BITE ! - 10/05/16 11:10 PM

1960texan the fish should be super active in and around the Hill Country. coolio They are in their fall feeding pattern for sure. partyon There is also another cold front arriving Saturday. clap Next week should be AWESOME! hooked
Posted By: J-Moe

Re: Flyrod Record Fest ! FANTASTIC BITE ! - 10/06/16 02:49 AM

That's what I love about you Chuck. Always praising, complimenting and encouraging your friends and fellow fisherman. Your incredible hospitality and the effort you put into helping other fisherman be successful is to be admired.

What an absolutely incredible day of fishing. One of the greatest ever thumb

There was one point during the day that I found a colony of redbreast that were all in that half pound range. They were against the bank in the roots under the branches of a small tree. It was a moment that really makes fly fishing special. The joy of target casting a popper into a difficult spot and then seeing a fish smash it. Even when they miss it your heart speeds up. I stood in that one spot and caught about 20 before moving on.

I learned an incredible amount about Rios as well. I learned I need to fish them more like I do a bluegill vs. what I do for sunfish. Slightly smaller flies, but in general, the same patterns. Briminators and slightly smaller poppers worked the best for me, just like they do for bluegill.

I also got to tour the Dewey estate and see all those magnificent fish mounts, awards and other memorabilia associated with the 289 records Chuck holds. Absolutely incredible!!!!!!

Thanks Chuck, I can't wait for the next time.

Re: Flyrod Record Fest ! FANTASTIC BITE ! - 10/06/16 02:50 AM

Originally Posted By: 1960texan
Congrats J-Moe! That's an epic day of fishing.

Thanks, Fall fishing at it's finest.

Re: Flyrod Record Fest ! FANTASTIC BITE ! - 10/06/16 09:47 AM

Jamie Fall bite is only going to get better! thumb
Posted By: Hunter498

Re: Flyrod Record Fest ! FANTASTIC BITE ! - 10/06/16 08:26 PM

Great job guys, good pics and good memories!!

Re: Flyrod Record Fest ! FANTASTIC BITE ! - 10/07/16 06:05 AM

Thanks Hunter498 for the reply. Great memories for sure. thumb
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Flyrod Record Fest ! FANTASTIC BITE ! - 10/07/16 06:28 PM

What a fantastic day of fishing. Good job guys! Also Congratulations J-Moe on your two records and your Big Fish Award. I got my first trophy Rio on the fly last year on the Guadalupe. Great fight. What type of fly were you using on the Rio? Also what weight was your flyrod? Again congratulations on the record fish! woot woot
Posted By: fiSherwood

Re: Flyrod Record Fest ! FANTASTIC BITE ! - 10/08/16 12:47 AM

Like like like!

Re: Flyrod Record Fest ! FANTASTIC BITE ! - 10/08/16 01:36 AM

Originally Posted By: Laker One
What a fantastic day of fishing. Good job guys! Also Congratulations J-Moe on your two records and your Big Fish Award. I got my first trophy Rio on the fly last year on the Guadalupe. Great fight. What type of fly were you using on the Rio? Also what weight was your flyrod? Again congratulations on the record fish! woot woot

Thanks Laker One, I caught it on a Betts Fancy popper and my 4 weight.

Re: Flyrod Record Fest ! FANTASTIC BITE ! - 10/08/16 01:36 AM

Originally Posted By: fiSherwood
Like like like!

Thanks fisherwood

Re: Flyrod Record Fest ! FANTASTIC BITE ! - 10/09/16 01:52 PM

Originally Posted By: J-Moe

Thanks Laker One, I caught it on a Betts Fancy popper and my 4 weight.

Thanks J-Moe! Did you use any sinking flies on the Rio's. Also what color was popper?

Re: Flyrod Record Fest ! FANTASTIC BITE ! - 10/09/16 11:40 PM

Yes, I tried a lot of different subsurface flies. I caught a few on briminators only.

Yellow popper
Posted By: Dfitz

Re: Flyrod Record Fest ! FANTASTIC BITE ! - 10/10/16 09:39 PM

Big Congrats Jamie thumb

Fishing with Chuck is hard to beat. Hopefully one day the 3 of us can go on an adventure. The fish won't like it, but we will. woot

Re: Flyrod Record Fest ! FANTASTIC BITE ! - 10/10/16 10:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Fitz®
Big Congrats Jamie thumb

Fishing with Chuck is hard to beat. Hopefully one day the 3 of us can go on an adventure. The fish won't like it, but we will. woot

Thanks Andrew, Sounds like a plan. Chuck had high praise for you. He also reminded me that you set 2 records last time you were there. grin

Re: Flyrod Record Fest ! FANTASTIC BITE ! - 10/12/16 11:22 AM

Originally Posted By: Fitz®
Big Congrats Jamie thumb

Andrew: You and Jamie are getting a BAD reputation from the sunnies down here! hammer The Bluegill,Crappie,Rios,and Redbreast are putting out the word on you two! nuts They are telling their buddies to STAY AWAY ! hooked

Side Note: It is always a HONOR to fish with two LEGENDS of the TFF! coolio Can't wait to the next time! rockon
Posted By: USMC_Guy

Re: Flyrod Record Fest ! FANTASTIC BITE ! - 10/13/16 01:56 AM

Congrats Jamie! Flyfishing sunnies is hard to beat and Cibolo Creek is such a great fishery. I'm sure these won't be your last.

Re: Flyrod Record Fest ! FANTASTIC BITE ! - 10/14/16 02:20 AM

Thanks Mike, Looking forward to seeing some more posts from your part of the country.

Re: Flyrod Record Fest ! FANTASTIC BITE ! - 10/19/16 09:57 AM

Originally Posted By: USMC_Guy
Congrats Jamie! Flyfishing sunnies is hard to beat and Cibolo Creek is such a great fishery. I'm sure these won't be your last.

Plus #1. It is amazing how that creek keeps producing nice fish over the years! I am also surprised of the few flyrod records that are gotten from Texas water bodies. Flyrod records are wide open on most water bodies. Would love to see a lot more added! thumb

Re: Flyrod Record Fest ! FANTASTIC BITE ! - 10/24/16 01:44 PM

Yes, I tried a lot of different subsurface flies. I caught a few on briminators only.

Yellow popper

Thanks!

Side Note: Fished down from Crescent Bend a couple of days ago and did very good using my 5 weight! Caught two Rios using a small yellow popper. woot

Re: Flyrod Record Fest ! FANTASTIC BITE ! - 10/25/16 03:34 PM

Yellow popper

Thanks!

Side Note: Fished down from Crescent Bend a couple of days ago and did very good using my 5 weight! Caught two Rios using a small yellow popper. woot

thumb Gotta Love the little yellow popper. I only found a couple subsurface patterns that worked. I need to spend some time tying some Rio getter type patterns before my next trip. I didn't use many real heavy flies. And Chuck is constantly telling me to slow down when I'm targeting them, LOL!! My 2 most productive Briminator variants did catch a few though.

Re: Flyrod Record Fest ! FANTASTIC BITE ! - 10/30/16 09:23 AM

Those Rios can be very finicky at times. nuts A finicky Rio bite is very hard to detect. juggle A lot of times a Rio would just stare at a bait until it's curiosity gets the best of it. taz Sometimes you just have to leave the bait in front of them longer. thumb

Re: Flyrod Record Fest ! FANTASTIC BITE ! - 11/02/16 03:44 AM

Just saw the updated records for the Cibolo Creek and Jamie is on the boards with both of his fish! Congratulations again on your fly-rod records! cheers
Posted By: plasma800

Re: Flyrod Record Fest ! FANTASTIC BITE ! - 11/02/16 03:57 AM

I'd sure love to know more specifics about the area you guys are fishing. I'd be happy to bring my trailer to hill country for a few day
Posted By: Hunter498

Re: Flyrod Record Fest ! FANTASTIC BITE ! - 11/02/16 09:51 AM

Hey Laker, the yellow poppers work good. The thing with Rios is that their mouth is small so you want to use a small fly. I have had the best luck with a wet fly or one that sinks down slowly.

Re: Flyrod Record Fest ! FANTASTIC BITE ! - 11/03/16 02:18 AM

I read a report about some Rios in a drainage ditch in Houston. I have an office that I go to twice a week so I decided to check it out. I fished for 45 minutes and caught 4 green sunfish, 4 long ear sunfish, a bluegill and 2 Rios. I caught them all off the pattern I developed that I call a crawfish briminator. I found this pattern to be extremely effective last fall. It has worked extremely well my last two times out. I don't know if the sunfish actually key on small crayfish like bass due in the fall but it has proven to work best for me mainly in the fall. I out catch other colors 5 to 1 at times.
Posted By: plasma800

Re: Flyrod Record Fest ! FANTASTIC BITE ! - 11/03/16 03:05 PM

I read a report about some Rios in a drainage ditch in Houston. I have an office that I go to twice a week so I decided to check it out. I fished for 45 minutes and caught 4 green sunfish, 4 long ear sunfish, a bluegill and 2 Rios. I caught them all off the pattern I developed that I call a crawfish briminator. I found this pattern to be extremely effective last fall. It has worked extremely well my last two times out. I don't know if the sunfish actually key on small crayfish like bass due in the fall but it has proven to work best for me mainly in the fall. I out catch other colors 5 to 1 at times.

Given the sheer number of times bream pick at a crawdad shaped soft plastic while bash fishing, and the even caught a few large redear's, I'd say they must have a good time picking at crayfish

Re: Flyrod Record Fest ! FANTASTIC BITE ! - 11/04/16 02:41 AM

Originally Posted By: plasma800

Given the sheer number of times bream pick at a crawdad shaped soft plastic while bash fishing, and the even caught a few large redear's, I'd say they must have a good time picking at crayfish

Thanks, that's good information thumb

Re: Flyrod Record Fest ! FANTASTIC BITE ! - 11/10/16 11:33 PM

This what I love about the forum. Good information be given by some AWESOME ANGLERS! rockon
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Flyrod Record Fest ! FANTASTIC BITE ! - 11/19/16 03:12 AM

Nice thread with some very good information being given. Congratulations J-Moe on your record fish! Are the bites different in the area you live compared to this area? Also do the same type of flies work here as they do where you live? Just curious.

Re: Flyrod Record Fest ! FANTASTIC BITE ! - 11/19/16 11:01 AM

Thanks Gitter Done. I did not find any differences in the bite and the flies work the same just about anywhere I fish in Central Texas.
Posted By: Wildman of the navidad

Re: Flyrod Record Fest ! FANTASTIC BITE ! - 11/20/16 01:26 AM

Great job J-Moe congratulations on your records that was a big beautiful rio great job again thumb

Re: Flyrod Record Fest ! FANTASTIC BITE ! - 11/21/16 02:48 AM

Originally Posted By: Wildman of the navidad
Great job J-Moe congratulations on your records that was a big beautiful rio great job again thumb

Thanks

Re: Flyrod Record Fest ! FANTASTIC BITE ! - 11/26/16 12:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Hunter498
Hey Laker, the yellow poppers work good. The thing with Rios is that their mouth is small so you want to use a small fly. I have had the best luck with a wet fly or one that sinks down slowly.

Thanks.

Re: Flyrod Record Fest ! FANTASTIC BITE ! - 12/01/16 02:00 PM

Thanks Gitter Done. I did not find any differences in the bite and the flies work the same just about anywhere I fish in Central Texas.

Worms work anywhere in the USA! hooked
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Flyrod Record Fest ! FANTASTIC BITE ! - 12/05/16 12:52 PM

Thanks J-Moe!

Re: Flyrod Record Fest ! FANTASTIC BITE ! - 12/12/16 11:07 AM

Thanks guys for all the replies. thumb
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum