Texas Fishing Forum

Lake Travis Bluegills (2 videos)

Posted By: Aquatic Ash

Lake Travis Bluegills (2 videos) - 07/18/16 05:39 AM

Hi all. Hope everyone is well! It's been a crazy, sad, nightmare of a week for the world. Kent and I went to Lake Travis Friday and Sunday to check out for a bit. The gills are going into deeper water, making them harder to find and catch. The first video - the gills stayed in the average range, but we fished later afternoon and shallow. After lots of thinking Saturday night, we got up super early and hit the lake Sunday. Oddly, the bite didn't pick up until after 12 noon, but hit deeper water. I got my fish on worms, Kent on jigs. Still trying to figure this lake out...
Hope you guys enjoy the videos.
Take care of yourselves and each other.
flag

1st video

2nd video
Posted By: drrouter

Re: Lake Travis Bluegills (2 videos) - 07/18/16 06:07 AM

Travis looks nice. Love that purple color on the gill.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Lake Travis Bluegills (2 videos) - 07/18/16 09:56 AM

Enjoyed the videos! Nice fish. cheers
Posted By: Bob Landry

Re: Lake Travis Bluegills (2 videos) - 07/18/16 05:27 PM

Wow, were we on the same Lake Travis Saturday? I was out running a service call and there were 2' waves everywhere from the big cruisers and the drunken wake board boat drivers. Reminded my why I try to stay off the lake on weekends
Posted By: Urban Fisher

Re: Lake Travis Bluegills (2 videos) - 07/18/16 05:30 PM

Another set of great videos Ash!!
Posted By: SlowDown

Re: Lake Travis Bluegills (2 videos) - 07/18/16 08:23 PM

Looks to me like you have the lake figured out pretty good Ash. Nice video too.

Re: Lake Travis Bluegills (2 videos) - 07/18/16 08:30 PM

Ash, with Kent using jigs and you using worms, how does the catch ratio work out between the two baits?

Re: Lake Travis Bluegills (2 videos) - 07/19/16 05:48 PM

We were out there Friday and Sunday. It wasn't as bad, to me, as it has been in the past. But we try to stay tucked in coves the best we can to avoid the traffic and wakes. A wake crashed into us a month ago and knocked us on a boat dock. Did some decent damage to our boat. Sunday, Kent blew the horn at a jet flea. He was on his phone about 3 feet from the boat. It can be a madhouse out there.
Posted By: Kent Meadows aka Team Hooligan

Re: Lake Travis Bluegills (2 videos) - 07/19/16 05:55 PM

Fish til you drop: the ratio is close to about 12 to 1 in favor of worms when I could still catch a fish on a jig lol. I have not caught a fish on an artificial in the last 2 trips. Not only am I not catching fish, but the bites are all but non existent as well. Friday for 3 hours fishing I had 2 true bites....going forward if I want to catch a fish I am going to have to switch over to a worm at least until the fall feed

Re: Lake Travis Bluegills (2 videos) - 07/19/16 05:59 PM

We discuss this issue often and consider all conditions. For example, whoever is driving the trolling motor gets in about half to a third less casts than the person who is not. Also, we have wayyyyy two different styles of fishing even when we are both using a jig or worms. But overall, the worms do a lot better than jigs day-to-day. There have been times though where jigs out perform worms.
The simple answer is this: the bait of choice doesn't matter - I catch more fish than Kent because I'm the better angler roflmao
Posted By: Kent Meadows aka Team Hooligan

Re: Lake Travis Bluegills (2 videos) - 07/19/16 06:01 PM

ok boys there you have it.....
Posted By: Dfitz

Re: Lake Travis Bluegills (2 videos) - 07/19/16 06:46 PM

Great videos Ash, you two have a great thing going.
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Lake Travis Bluegills (2 videos) - 07/19/16 08:05 PM

Cool videos. Those Bluegill are nice.

Re: Lake Travis Bluegills (2 videos) - 07/19/16 08:17 PM

Kent and Ash, thanks for the information. Not only did the two of you answer my question, but you gave me a good belly laugh also. Love it!!!

Re: Lake Travis Bluegills (2 videos) - 07/20/16 12:24 AM

Originally Posted By: Aquatic Ash
We were out there Friday and Sunday. It wasn't as bad, to me, as it has been in the past. But we try to stay tucked in coves the best we can to avoid the traffic and wakes. A wake crashed into us a month ago and knocked us on a boat dock. Did some decent damage to our boat. Sunday, Kent blew the horn at a jet flea. He was on his phone about 3 feet from the boat. It can be a madhouse out there.

I came about that close to a jet flea Saturday. I whistled at him and he didn't even know I was on top of him. Those people are idiots. The wake boats are pretty bad also. They can generate a 2'wake easily. Saturday it took me almost an hour to get from Commanders Pt Cove to Sail & Ski Marina. it was 10-15 MPH the hole way with a lot of shutdowns to keep from pounding my boat to death..

Re: Lake Travis Bluegills (2 videos) - 07/20/16 12:25 AM

What software are you using to put the videos together?

Re: Lake Travis Bluegills (2 videos) - 07/21/16 02:49 PM

GoPro studio. It's free software. I plan on getting something better once I get out of noob mode - I'm still learning.
Posted By: jagg

Re: Lake Travis Bluegills (2 videos) - 07/21/16 10:10 PM

Kent and Ash, very nice! thumb
I got into a bit of a rut on my traditional jigs and plastics (looking back, probably had more to do with the water I was on) so I've been trying something different this year. If you are fishing stationary, Gulp! Alive! is absolutely the deal!! I've done side by side tests and Gulp one day and traditional plastics the next and vice versa. When I'm swimming a rig or moving a presentation horizontal, I still like my traditional rigs. Butif it is stationary, vertical or slow moving, the Gulp! Alive! is the best I've come across.

Re: Lake Travis Bluegills (2 videos) - 07/21/16 10:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Aquatic Ash
GoPro studio. It's free software. I plan on getting something better once I get out of noob mode - I'm still learning.

I would stick with what you are using. I've seen videos produced with Adobe that doesn't look any better than yours.
Posted By: Peytonator

Re: Lake Travis Bluegills (2 videos) - 07/22/16 02:02 PM

Y'all are killin' it! cheers
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Lake Travis Bluegills (2 videos) - 07/23/16 10:30 AM

Nice post. Great job on the videos.
Posted By: jagg

Re: Lake Travis Bluegills (2 videos) - 07/24/16 04:47 PM

Hey Ash, I notice you guys seem to catch fish on what looks to be limestone walls and stair steps in your vids. Is that the pattern and what you guys look for around Travis?
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum