Texas Fishing Forum

So you thought that was a hog? State record??

Posted By: Mike Doran

So you thought that was a hog? State record?? - 07/11/16 06:31 PM

I went back out to my hot new fishing spot and landed many great fish today about 25 total. I caught 2 sunfish over 10 inches today within 10 minutes of each other! First was a 1 lb 1 oz green sunfish hybrid at just over 11.5 inches, 2nd was 10.5 inches and 14 ounces. I believe the current state record for a hybrid green sunfish is .83lbs. So is this in fact a new state record??????????? Luckily I had my IFGA certifed scales and tape measure in my packpack to get all the proper photos and such. Either way I had a SUPER DAY!

2nd smaller fish below only 10.5 inches LOL!

More fish from today can you tell me FISH ID?

[img]https://texasfishingforum.com/forums/pics/usergals/2016/07/full-89107-119313-20160711_113026.jpg[/img]
[img]https://texasfishingforum.com/forums/pics/usergals/2016/07/full-89107-119314-20160711_120425.jpg[/img]
[img]https://texasfishingforum.com/forums/pics/usergals/2016/07/full-89107-119315-20160711_121240.jpg[/img]
Posted By: highcountry

Re: So you thought that was a hog? State record?? - 07/11/16 06:33 PM

Damn well done... Congrats!

Re: So you thought that was a hog? State record?? - 07/11/16 06:34 PM

Note the last 3 pics you have to click on to view. I guess I took too many pics! Trying To ID them all. But mainly trying to find out if my 1.1 pounder is a state record Hybrid or not?
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: So you thought that was a hog? State record?? - 07/11/16 06:44 PM

If it is a Hybrid Green you beat the current records in both public and private water bodies. Was your fish caught in a private water body? hmmm

Side Note: Look like Hybrids to me! Georgia Giants! Nice fish and congratulations on your pending record! cheers

Re: So you thought that was a hog? State record?? - 07/11/16 06:48 PM

Public access pond. Catch and release only
Posted By: WCGunns

Re: So you thought that was a hog? State record?? - 07/11/16 09:55 PM

Those sure are pretty.
Posted By: jagg

Re: So you thought that was a hog? State record?? - 07/13/16 12:57 AM

Definitely look to be Greenie hybrids. Probably not GG's since they tend to be designer hybrids and the pics look to be wild hybrids. Congrats! The first three pics are true SPECIMENS!
Posted By: USMC_Guy

Re: So you thought that was a hog? State record?? - 07/13/16 01:50 AM

Those are some tanks! Beautiful green sunfish hybrids in my opinion. Pic 1 and 4 out of the bottom 7 pics appear to be bluegill and the rest hybrids as well. Congrats on some more great catches and pending records.

Re: So you thought that was a hog? State record?? - 07/13/16 04:26 AM

Originally Posted By: jagg
Definitely look to be Greenie hybrids. Probably not GG's since they tend to be designer hybrids and the pics look to be wild hybrids. Congrats! The first three pics are true SPECIMENS!

They appear to me to be a Bluegill/Green mix. Georgia Giants when produced were a Bluegill/Green mix. Also since the pond is a private pond there is a good chance the fish could have been stocked there. Just my two cents. 2cents
Posted By: Meadowlark

Re: So you thought that was a hog? State record?? - 07/13/16 10:09 PM

The top photos could well be GG's. I've raised them and yours have the GG look which shows the triple influence of bluegill, green sunfish, and red ear sunfish. The brightly colored anal fin is another common characteristic on GG's.

If they are GG's, they would fall into the "Sunfish, other hybrid" record category and would not nearly break the current record of 1.73 pounds and 12.5 inches. I've raised them to 12 inches myself....but its worth a try since you have the documentation.

The red ear influence, which is clearly visible in your photos, is, IMO, what distinguishes those fish from just a green sunfish hybrid. The GG shows the triple cross characteristics and actually, in my experience, I've never seen all three characteristics that didn't have GG somewhere in the lineage.

Re: So you thought that was a hog? State record?? - 07/13/16 10:18 PM

I was looking at the hybrid Green Sunfish Record and not the other hybrid sunfish record. If the fish would fall into the other hybrid sunfish category it would be well short of the record. thumb
Posted By: glen6131

Re: So you thought that was a hog? State record?? - 07/14/16 02:53 PM

Nice fish indeed
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: So you thought that was a hog? State record?? - 07/14/16 05:35 PM

No matter what you decide to do on your records that fish is still a beauty! Good job Mike.
Posted By: johnboy23

Re: So you thought that was a hog? State record?? - 07/17/16 11:59 PM

Beautiful fish partyon
Posted By: Fooshman

Re: So you thought that was a hog? State record?? - 07/18/16 01:05 AM

thumb
Posted By: Laker One

Re: So you thought that was a hog? State record?? - 07/19/16 08:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Meadowlark
The top photos could well be GG's. I've raised them and yours have the GG look which shows the triple influence of bluegill, green sunfish, and red ear sunfish. The brightly colored anal fin is another common characteristic on GG's.

If they are GG's, they would fall into the "Sunfish, other hybrid" record category and would not nearly break the current record of 1.73 pounds and 12.5 inches. I've raised them to 12 inches myself....but its worth a try since you have the documentation.

The red ear influence, which is clearly visible in your photos, is, IMO, what distinguishes those fish from just a green sunfish hybrid. The GG shows the triple cross characteristics and actually, in my experience, I've never seen all three characteristics that didn't have GG somewhere in the lineage.

Plus #1.

Side Note: A marine biologist who is affiliated with one of our sporting good stores looked at this post and he says it is a good chance that the fish are Georgia Giants. What ever they are they are some super fish. Good job Mike.
Posted By: TexasBassBuster

Re: So you thought that was a hog? State record?? - 07/20/16 03:52 PM

nice fish man. congrats!

Re: So you thought that was a hog? State record?? - 08/06/16 06:03 PM

Well my quest for Elite angler continues.... My big fish award for 10 inch sunfish was denied. ARGHH... Which I think is not right all. On the angler recognition big fish award page it lists "Sunfish" 10" or bigger for big fish award. Also lists bluegill 10 inhes or bigger for big fish award. Sunfish is a very broad term that cover many species. To not include this beautiful species is shocking! It is in fact a SUNFISH!! Whether its a hyrbid or not its still a sufish at the end of the day right? Also catching one this size is not easy to do. I caught probably 500 or more "hybrid green sunfish around town before I caught this monster one. Thoughts? Now im not sure what sunfish or blue gill to go after for a big fish award since some do not count!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum