Texas Fishing Forum

Creek Fishing During the "Dog Days" of Summer!

Posted By: banker-always fishing

Creek Fishing During the "Dog Days" of Summer! - 07/06/16 10:46 PM

Fished a hill country creek and the bite was good! With temperatures getting into the 100's a nice spot by a creek with some good current with plenty of shade makes the morning very pleasant. Fished from 7am till 10am and caught some nice Redear and Rios. A few Bluegill and a couple of bass in the two pound range rounded out the catch. Fish were hanging by rocks and brush piles close to the current. Bottom techniques were used and all fish were released to fight again! Creek fishing during the "Dog Days" of summer. It just don't get any better! fish

Posted By: Metal Man

Re: Creek Fishing During the "Dog Days" of Summer! - 07/06/16 11:50 PM

thumb
Posted By: J-Moe

Re: Creek Fishing During the "Dog Days" of Summer! - 07/06/16 11:52 PM

That looks like tough fly fishing country. Always love the Rio pictures. Glad you had some fun catching. Thanks for sharing.

Re: Creek Fishing During the "Dog Days" of Summer! - 07/07/16 01:16 AM

Thanks Metal Man and Jamie for the replies. cheers Jamie: Yes Sir that would be some very rough fly conditions for sure. nuts I call it "close quarters fishing"! eeks
Posted By: highcountry

Re: Creek Fishing During the "Dog Days" of Summer! - 07/07/16 10:46 PM

Good to see you got a chance to hit the water, Chuck! ...and better yet, pounded 'em good!
Posted By: Metal Man

Re: Creek Fishing During the "Dog Days" of Summer! - 07/08/16 12:03 AM

gonna try the creels out a bit . Getting skunked at the lakes. Area at the lakes look promising but no dice. If you dont mind what bottom techniques are you talking about?

Re: Creek Fishing During the "Dog Days" of Summer! - 07/08/16 02:00 AM

Originally Posted By: Metal Man
gonna try the creels out a bit . Getting skunked at the lakes. Area at the lakes look promising but no dice. If you dont mind what bottom techniques are you talking about?

Thanks Phil for the reply! cheers Metal Man: For me a bottom technique is fishing a bait (worm) off of the bottom. Several techniques can be used such as bouncing the worm off of the bottom. Retrieving the worm at different speeds while it is on the bottom,or just letting the worm stay on the bottom. The more you fish for bigger sunfish (which usually stay on the bottom),the better you will get. thumb

Side Note; Bottom fishing changes a lot depending on several factors. Type if water body,how many snags are on the bottom,water depth,weather conditions,and water conditions . Also bottom conditions such as grass,weed,rock,etc. juggle
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Creek Fishing During the "Dog Days" of Summer! - 07/09/16 02:46 AM

Nice post Chuck. These temperatures are taking their toll on myself and Jeff! Doing a lot of very early morning trips. Bite is still good on the east end! Still getting good numbers of Crappie. How has the Crappie bite been for you this summer?
Posted By: Bob9

Re: Creek Fishing During the "Dog Days" of Summer! - 07/09/16 04:25 PM

Nice catching, Chuck! Looks like a good place for bow and arrow casts with a short tenkara rod.

Bob
thumb
Posted By: SlowDown

Re: Creek Fishing During the "Dog Days" of Summer! - 07/09/16 07:02 PM

Don't know how you find those places Banker, but you do and always catch'em. You're the man!

Re: Creek Fishing During the "Dog Days" of Summer! - 07/13/16 11:25 AM

Thanks Curtis,Bob,and fish 'till I drop for the replies. cheers Curtis I have not targeted Crappie much this summer. The ones I have been catching have been in 15 to 20 feet of water by structure. coolio Bob: Creek fishing can be some very "close quarter" type fishing. eeks Lots of flipping in stead of casting for sure. I do go through lots of hooks and sinkers while fishing the creeks. bang fish 'till I drop: I am very lucky to have gotten permission to fish the places I fish! partyon Since I mainly bank fish every spot I have to fish is very important to me. I am very happy that they have kept producing nice fish over the years. thumb
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Creek Fishing During the "Dog Days" of Summer! - 07/14/16 06:01 PM

Nice post and fish Chuck! Looks like some very tight space fishing. Have you been seeing any snakes?

Re: Creek Fishing During the "Dog Days" of Summer! - 07/20/16 11:21 AM

Thanks Gitter for the reply cheers So far only water snakes in the creeks. eeksYou really need to be watching your steps while walking the banks and paths. thumb
Posted By: Dfitz

Re: Creek Fishing During the "Dog Days" of Summer! - 07/21/16 12:22 AM

Is that the creek I fished with you? If so, I donated close to a dozen flies to the trees, but did get a record out of it! thumb
Posted By: Aquatic Ash

Re: Creek Fishing During the "Dog Days" of Summer! - 07/21/16 02:51 PM

I love seeing Rios!!!

Re: Creek Fishing During the "Dog Days" of Summer! - 07/26/16 12:36 PM

Thanks Ashley for the reply! cheers The Rio bite has been pretty GOOD so far! hooked
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Creek Fishing During the "Dog Days" of Summer! - 07/31/16 07:29 PM

Originally Posted By: banker-always fishing
Thanks Gitter for the reply cheers So far only water snakes in the creeks. eeksYou really need to be watching your steps while walking the banks and paths. thumb

Yes Sir! I can remember when you and USMC-GY crossed paths with a rattler on the Santa Clara a couple of years ago.

Re: Creek Fishing During the "Dog Days" of Summer! - 08/02/16 11:18 AM

Originally Posted By: Gitter Done

Yes Sir! I can remember when you and USMC-GY crossed paths with a rattler on the Santa Clara a couple of years ago.

Will NEVER forget that for sure. bolt

Re: Creek Fishing During the "Dog Days" of Summer! - 08/06/16 03:08 PM

Thanks Curtis,Bob,and fish 'till I drop for the replies. cheers Curtis I have not targeted Crappie much this summer. The ones I have been catching have been in 15 to 20 feet of water by structure. coolio Bob: Creek fishing can be some very "close quarter" type fishing. eeks Lots of flipping in stead of casting for sure. I do go through lots of hooks and sinkers while fishing the creeks. bang fish 'till I drop: I am very lucky to have gotten permission to fish the places I fish! partyon Since I mainly bank fish every spot I have to fish is very important to me. I am very happy that they have kept producing nice fish over the years. thumb

Thanks Chuck! FYI the GBRA ramp is closed until next August. You have to launch at the county road ramp!

Re: Creek Fishing During the "Dog Days" of Summer! - 08/11/16 11:02 AM

Originally Posted By: Laker One

Thanks Chuck! FYI the GBRA ramp is closed until next August. You have to launch at the county road ramp!

Yea I know. nuts I fished Wood last month and spoke with the park employees! The only places to fish on Wood is by the dam and the actual river bed. The main lake area is bone dry! taz

Re: Creek Fishing During the "Dog Days" of Summer! - 08/16/16 05:12 AM

Originally Posted By: Laker One

Yea I know. nuts I fished Wood last month and spoke with the park employees! The only places to fish on Wood is by the dam and the actual river bed. The main lake area is bone dry! taz

Will be hitting Meadow a lot more! thumb

Re: Creek Fishing During the "Dog Days" of Summer! - 08/20/16 09:33 AM

I have not fished the any of the Guadalupe River lakes much this summer Curtis. hmmm Plan on hitting em more after Labor Day! thumb
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum