Texas Fishing Forum

Rapala Ultra Light Plugs

Posted By: highcountry

Rapala Ultra Light Plugs - 05/25/16 08:27 PM

After watching Doug Stange get into a buncha hog 'gills a couple of times over the last couple of years tossing mini plugs, I ordered this assortment of 1.5" Rapala Ultra Lights. Gonna remove the front treble before using. Any of you guys had any experience with these?

Along the same lines, thought you all might enjoy this article... http://www.in-fisherman.com/panfish/bluegill/bull-bluegills/

If you are anything like me, the reason we spend so much time chasing sunnies is simple... fighting bulls on an ultra light setup. Yes, we love the colors, and the smaller fish make great bait, but it's those monsters that rip drag and bend your rod in half that get my blood boiling!
Posted By: jagg

Re: Rapala Ultra Light Plugs - 05/29/16 05:25 AM

I haven't tried any of the UL series yet, but the F03 and F05 size Original Floating Minnow Rapalas are the ticket and I rarely go fishing for panfish without them.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Rapala Ultra Light Plugs - 05/29/16 09:46 AM

Nice baits HC! I do not use plugs on sunfish but know anglers who do and they do catch some HOGS! hooked

Re: Rapala Ultra Light Plugs - 05/29/16 02:10 PM

Had surgery Friday, so it'll be a little while until I get back on the water, but got the first two in yesterday. Can't wait to try them!

Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Rapala Ultra Light Plugs - 05/30/16 02:49 PM

I do not fish for sunfish, but most of the ones I have caught over the years have been on small Rapala light plugs.
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Rapala Ultra Light Plugs - 06/01/16 02:10 PM

I have only been fishing for sunfish about 4 years now. I started with the Rapala UL Plugs. Worked great. I now mainly use a fly rod. Still have a bunch of those plugs when ever I use my spinning tackle. Great baits.

Re: Rapala Ultra Light Plugs - 06/01/16 11:07 PM

Thanks for all the input, guys! Finally received the dozen I ordered ...in three shipments... from Cabela's and am hoping to give them a go this weekend for an hour or two...

Re: Rapala Ultra Light Plugs - 06/02/16 04:49 PM

Nice looking baits HC! Let us know how you do. thumb

Re: Rapala Ultra Light Plugs - 06/02/16 05:43 PM

Will do, Chuck. We're turning some teens into addicts this weekend, and will be using crawlers and redworms for them. I doubt I'll have much time to fish myself, but hope to at least get in a few casts with the Rapalas...

Re: Rapala Ultra Light Plugs - 06/02/16 06:02 PM

Originally Posted By: highcountry
Will do, Chuck. We're turning some teens into addicts this weekend, and will be using crawlers and redworms for them. I doubt I'll have much time to fish myself, but hope to at least get in a few casts with the Rapalas...

I am having a hard time finding a place that is not flooded. hammer All of my spots are either muddy,extremely fast current,or simply flooded. nuts Even the ponds I fish are getting tougher to fish at due to all the water! bang

Side Note: Still doing OK fishing the smaller ponds! clap

Re: Rapala Ultra Light Plugs - 06/02/16 09:49 PM

Sorry to hear that, Chuck... We are blessed to have our little spot in East Texas that isn't affected much by rainfall. We'd love to meet you out there sometime!
Posted By: WCGunns

Re: Rapala Ultra Light Plugs - 06/03/16 03:32 AM

Why are you removing the front treble hook? Thanks
Posted By: Dr. Erk

Re: Rapala Ultra Light Plugs - 06/03/16 12:25 PM

Those look good to me! I have had some luck trolling such things behind my kayak. Gotta go super slow though or the fish can't seem to catch up to them.
Posted By: Surface

Re: Rapala Ultra Light Plugs - 06/03/16 02:42 PM

I use the UL Finesse Minnows quite a bit, but I don't catch a lot of bluegill on them. They are typically bit by smaller LMB, but I've caught as big as a 3 pounder on them. On the UL setup, that's a heck of a fight.

Rapala is one of my go-to's. Whether it is the UL Minnow or the Rippin Rap, I usually try to stick with the "Yellow Perch" pattern...I've had great luck with that one.

Re: Rapala Ultra Light Plugs - 06/03/16 02:49 PM

Thanks, again, for the input, guys!

Actually I decided to make the front trebles "barbless" instead, Gunns.
Posted By: WCGunns

Re: Rapala Ultra Light Plugs - 06/03/16 11:01 PM

Didn't know if you were taking them off to make them more weedless
Posted By: SK.

Re: Rapala Ultra Light Plugs - 06/04/16 03:25 AM

Originally Posted By: banker-always fishing
Nice looking baits HC! Let us know how you do. thumb

Yes please do.....

Re: Rapala Ultra Light Plugs - 06/04/16 01:59 PM

Will do, guys... Gunns, yes, more weedless, but more than that, to keep from tearing up the exterior bodies or gills of the fish... Hate seeing two or three trebles embedded in a fish.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum