Texas Fishing Forum

Great time out East!

Posted By: highcountry

Great time out East! - 05/16/16 04:17 AM

Had a terrific time out east viewing wildflowers and critters and, of course, chasin' sunnies. Caught tons, from gorgeous lil' tiny ones to some real pigs. Here are a few photos...

...and Jos got a big surprise when her rod got slammed hard toward the end of the trip...

Until next time, Tight lines and screamin' drags!
Posted By: Fishing_4_Life

Re: Great time out East! - 05/16/16 12:45 PM

Oh wow! Where is this!!?? Picture 6,8, and 10 are of one of my absolute favorite sunfish and I have yet to see anyone post pictures of them yet! I only know of a couple of spots where there are limited numbers of them so I'd love to try any new spots! All your other fish are awesome too. And that 10+" is a hog!
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Great time out East! - 05/16/16 01:34 PM

coolphotosNice ones HC! cheers Good times and catching fish and enjoying the outdoors.coolio It just don't get any better! thumb

Re: Great time out East! - 05/16/16 01:53 PM

Thanks, guys! Ya know, the interesting thing is that 10+ pig hit a line rigged with a full nightcrawler and 2/0 octopus hook, while the cat hit a size 6 Aberdeen with half a red worm, instead of that big ol' crawler set out just for him... That's the best part of fishing in Texas... The surprise catch!
Posted By: Dfitz

Re: Great time out East! - 05/16/16 03:42 PM

Thats an awesome trip! You caught some monsters and some beauties
Originally Posted By: highcountry

blush I want that for my aquarium

Re: Great time out East! - 05/16/16 05:37 PM

Ya know, Fitz, Jos and I were talking about that same thing yesterday. Especially the juveniles can be absolutely gorgeous, and many would love to have them in an aquarium... When I was a whole lot younger, I was very serious about breeding a particular species of fish... African cichlids, a very aggressive tough group of fish. One day I caught one of those really beautiful lil' sunnies, and decided to add him to one of my larger tanks. That lil' bas***d killed damn near every expensive cichlid in the tank by the time I got back from running an errand, some much larger than him... eeks Goes without saying, "don't put sunnies in a tank with any other aquarium fish!"
Posted By: J-Moe

Re: Great time out East! - 05/16/16 07:52 PM

Wow, what a incredible bunch of fish. Great stuff, well done thumb

Re: Great time out East! - 05/16/16 08:33 PM

Thanks, again!
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Great time out East! - 05/16/16 09:21 PM

coolphotos Also those Bluegill are HOGS! As always I really love your pictures. woot

Re: Great time out East! - 05/17/16 12:10 AM

Thanks, Laker! It makes it worth the effort, when other anglers enjoy your stuff...

Re: Great time out East! - 05/17/16 04:34 AM

Here are some pictures of some that I caught last year except they were all caught out of a trap instead of rod and reel. Since I've never seen anyone post a picture or anything about them I am curious to know if I'm the only one that knows what species they are. I'll say what they are later but I first want to see if anyone already knows. So?

Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Great time out East! - 05/17/16 04:46 AM

coolphotos Awesome Fishing_4_Life. Love those aquarium pictures. cheers

Re: Great time out East! - 05/17/16 05:35 AM

Most of the pics look like Missouri Longears. Longears in general have different colors in different regions. Plus what we call Longears in TX look nothing like the Longears caught up north.

My other guess would be Dollar Sunfish because most of them are small and have similar marking to Longears.

Where do you live? Were they caught in water with moving current?

Re: Great time out East! - 05/17/16 12:04 PM

Thanks Banker! Andrew you are right in everything you said. Longears vary so greatly from region to region. And great job they are dollar sunfish. There are many different ways to tell the difference between the two species but the number one dead giveaway is the ear! Longear never have spots on its ear like the dollar does, on occasion the spots flow a little bit into the ear but not all over the ear and separated for the spots on the face. thumb
Posted By: Kent Meadows aka Team Hooligan

Re: Great time out East! - 05/17/16 03:06 PM

really great fish! Wonderful colors.

Re: Great time out East! - 05/19/16 02:12 AM

Originally Posted By: Fishing_4_Life
Thanks Banker! Andrew you are right in everything you said. Longears vary so greatly from region to region. And great job they are dollar sunfish. There are many different ways to tell the difference between the two species but the number one dead giveaway is the ear! Longear never have spots on its ear like the dollar does, on occasion the spots flow a little bit into the ear but not all over the ear and separated for the spots on the face. thumb

Where did you get the Dollars?
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Great time out East! - 05/19/16 09:02 PM

Very nice fish and a very nice post. Thanks High Country for sharing.

Re: Great time out East! - 05/19/16 10:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Fitz®

In a little private pond

Re: Great time out East! - 05/19/16 10:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Fishing_4_Life
Originally Posted By: Fitz®

In a little private pond

I'm trying to figure out the area. Can you ballpark it or PM me. Yet to catch one

Re: Great time out East! - 05/19/16 10:55 PM

You are over your pm limit
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum