Texas Fishing Forum

Beautiful green Sunfish liked my roadrunner!

Posted By: Mike Doran

Beautiful green Sunfish liked my roadrunner! - 05/04/16 08:22 PM

I spotted a few sunfish in the small feeder creek to pond where I fish for carp. I went back with my crappie pole and tossed in a yellow roadrunner. The biggest one of the group (all very small) hit it on first cast but did not hook up. Second cast he nailed it with even more authority. I just love the colors on these! I used to catch much larger ones near my old house and they always fought great for a sunfish! I love the orange tips they get to there fins and the larger mouth. Feel free to post some pics of some bigger green sunfish on here. I would love to see them. Im not sure how big the get.

Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Beautiful green Sunfish liked my roadrunner! - 05/04/16 08:27 PM

Nice Greens. cheers

Side Note: A big Green is usually 8 to 10 inches in length. They can get a little over a pound in weight. State Record is 11" 1.30 Lbs. Good fighters and can hit bait hard. boxing
Posted By: erittmueller

Re: Beautiful green Sunfish liked my roadrunner! - 05/04/16 09:54 PM

That's a little above average. Banker's right they are my favorite small fish to catch. Have caught a few that would be close to if not over the state record if I'd known what it was..... This year I know and it's gonna be game on! I basically classify greens as compacted bass.

Eric
Posted By: SK.

Re: Beautiful green Sunfish liked my roadrunner! - 05/04/16 10:12 PM

Definitely good fighters for their size....
Posted By: J-Moe

Re: Beautiful green Sunfish liked my roadrunner! - 05/04/16 10:33 PM

Here you go Mike. I posted this one on another thread recently. It weighed 1 lb. and was 10.75 inches long. I catch quite a few over 10 inches in the ponds around my area. You are right, they are great fighters. I've seen a picture of one that was 12 inches and 1.25 lb. Excellent post!!!

Posted By: J-Moe

Re: Beautiful green Sunfish liked my roadrunner! - 05/04/16 10:37 PM

Originally Posted By: erittmueller
That's a little above average. Banker's right they are my favorite small fish to catch. Have caught a few that would be close to if not over the state record if I'd known what it was..... This year I know and it's gonna be game on! I basically classify greens as compacted bass.

Eric

Take me, Take me, Take me roflmao

I agree Eric. They are very similar in behavior and fishing techniques to a bass. They also seem to spawn earlier than any of the other sunfish and bluegill I catch. It's tougher to find them, and especially bigger ones on a lake. They find there niche in the ponds too. You have solved the biggest part of the puzzle if you know where to locate the big ones.
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Beautiful green Sunfish liked my roadrunner! - 05/05/16 12:59 PM

Nice fish.
Posted By: highcountry

Re: Beautiful green Sunfish liked my roadrunner! - 05/08/16 03:27 PM

Great photog and very nice greenies!
Posted By: Kent Meadows aka Team Hooligan

Re: Beautiful green Sunfish liked my roadrunner! - 05/08/16 07:57 PM

may be one of the best fish species ever. great job and post all the greenies pics you can get.
Posted By: Mike Doran

Re: Beautiful green Sunfish liked my roadrunner! - 05/08/16 11:05 PM

I went back out yesterday after a great session of carp fishing to go after some more greenies! I fished 2 very small creeks in town. I used my trusty roadrunner and had a blast with a tiny pole catching 6 green sunfish. Many of them I saw sitting on round gravel beds. Those were always fun to catch when you get to see all the action in nice clear water. Very aggressive little fish. I also caught a very unexpeted white bass that was just over 10 inches. I was really hoping it was gonna be a great big greenie! I amazed how well my new phone take picutes! I also caught a 35.5 inch carp and a nice channel cat on the same day from pond nearby.

Posted By: Laker One

Re: Beautiful green Sunfish liked my roadrunner! - 05/16/16 08:58 PM

Nice Fish. Love catching them on my flyrod. Green are some aggressive fish and hit hard. woot
Posted By: Dfitz

Re: Beautiful green Sunfish liked my roadrunner! - 05/17/16 01:27 AM

Originally Posted By: Laker One
Nice Fish. Love catching them on my flyrod. Green are some aggressive fish and hit hard. woot

Yup Laker, and with their bigger mouths they get hooked easy. Pretty colors on those fish.
Posted By: charlief1

Re: Beautiful green Sunfish liked my roadrunner! - 05/17/16 02:31 AM

Got a bunch of them in my pond and they are fun to catch. Nice haul. clap
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum