Texas Fishing Forum

Sunfish worthy of being caught and taken home for dinner

Posted By: Lovfldx

Sunfish worthy of being caught and taken home for dinner - 04/29/16 10:28 PM

One lake, Bachman, never before known for keeper sized bluegills and sunfish, is producing some hefty 'gills:

Beautiful fat bull bluegills:

8 inch Long ear

You can see the bait. 1/32 nd oz hollow body crappie tube jigs. Water clear, they are definitely coming in to fan beds, no more than 2 ft from the shoreline. The first 'gill in the pics, when i just about had it out of the water, as he swam near and underwater tree limb laydown, a largemouth in the 5 lb range roared out from under the tree, and tried to tear the 'gill off my hook!

What a rush!

Rudy
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Sunfish worthy of being caught and taken home for dinner - 04/29/16 10:32 PM

Nice ones Rudy. Perfect eating size! thumb

Side Note: I have caught several very nice Bass over the years on hooked Bluegill! hooked

Re: Sunfish worthy of being caught and taken home for dinner - 04/29/16 10:35 PM

Thanks, Banker. There was an older gentleman, fishing near some thick laydowns, with nightcrawlers under a bobber that was starting to fill up an ice chest with 8-9 inch gills. Said he had been there early in the morning and had caught 35 in the same size range, so for some unknown reason, this lake known for big bass and huge crappie is now producing some respectable, eating size 'gills!

Gotta love it.

Rudy

Re: Sunfish worthy of being caught and taken home for dinner - 04/29/16 10:40 PM

That is good news. cheers I think with all the rainfall and the mild winter we had played a big part in a nice quality sunfish population. hooked
Posted By: Smithaven

Re: Sunfish worthy of being caught and taken home for dinner - 04/30/16 01:20 PM

Are you sure you should eat fish from Bachman? When I lived near there the water was not that clean. The lake gets runoff from the concrete jungle nearby, and from Love Field. Jet fuel contained PCB before being banned in the US. PCB is a potent carcinogen. Present day jet fuel has chemicals that have long term effects.

Check out the water purity before eating much fish from there.Lots of old timers will jump in and say there is no problem, but all the other lakes like Worth and Mountain Creek that have jet fuel contamination have consumption advisories.

Re: Sunfish worthy of being caught and taken home for dinner - 05/01/16 01:20 AM

City of Dallas, EPA monitor it regularly. TPWD does regular surveys of the fish. I have fished it regularly since 1974. Talked to a city of Dallas biologist on the lake one day, and this lake has never been issued an advisory, warning or ban on fish consumption.
Posted By: erittmueller

Re: Sunfish worthy of being caught and taken home for dinner - 05/01/16 12:04 PM

I'm a YOUNG TIMER and give a big +1 to consuming Bachman fish. No danger here. Was an ecology major and know what goes into the studies and it's plenty good enough for me. Besides, if you think about it, is there really jet fuel on the runways? No lol. If chemical agents were being spilled or leaked at the airport or any other locations near by the agencies that monitor that stuff would not allow it. Virtually none of the spillage that people think happens actually happens.

Eric
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Sunfish worthy of being caught and taken home for dinner - 05/01/16 12:07 PM

Nice fish. thumb
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Sunfish worthy of being caught and taken home for dinner - 05/02/16 02:47 AM

Nice fish. As already been said. Perfect eating size.
Posted By: highcountry

Re: Sunfish worthy of being caught and taken home for dinner - 05/03/16 05:09 PM

Beauties for sure!

Re: Sunfish worthy of being caught and taken home for dinner - 05/04/16 02:15 AM

More of the same today, probably a dozen or so sunnies and 'gills, 4 small black bass, and one bass in the 2 lb range that threw the jig right at the bank. Today at Bachman was "snakes on display" day! They were everywhere! in the water, on the shore, in the weeds,in the cypress tree roots, everywhere! Diamond back and banded water snakes, every one! One good sized diamond back water snake tried to make a meal out of an 8 inch bluegill i had strung up, but i got it out of the water before he could strike!

Pics coming once i get to my home computer. Bait of the day was a red/chartreuse hollow body tube jig on an 1/32nd oz UNPAINTED head

Didn't get any pics of snakes but I almost accidentally stepped on one curled up in the grass
he fled in terror into the water.

Rudy

Re: Sunfish worthy of being caught and taken home for dinner - 05/04/16 07:14 AM

Awesome Rudy. As always good job. thumb
Posted By: Action_Jackson

Re: Sunfish worthy of being caught and taken home for dinner - 05/04/16 02:49 PM

Good look eater sized gills Rudy cheers
Posted By: Dfitz

Re: Sunfish worthy of being caught and taken home for dinner - 05/04/16 05:51 PM

Awesome Rudy! Love the longears and big Greens!

Hope to run into you soon out there.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum