Texas Fishing Forum

Rigging for bluegill fishing

Posted By: SlowDown

Rigging for bluegill fishing - 04/23/16 04:11 PM

My favorite bottom rig when fishing around and through submerged hydrilla is a drop shot rig. I normall use a number 5 splitshot on the end of the leader. I've always used the shots with the wings that can be used to remove them, but they are bad about hanging on the grass. I probably need to switch to the round splitshots, but thought I would ask what you guys use first?????
Posted By: Smithaven

Re: Rigging for bluegill fishing - 04/23/16 05:03 PM

I use the old fashioned round kind. The ones with wings do not hold as well on the line and they do get hung up worse. But for drop shot rigs I use a small bell sinker in 1/8 or 3/16 ounce size. If the bottom is trashy I do not drop shot at all, but instead use a slip bobber to hold the bait just above the bottom.

Re: Rigging for bluegill fishing - 04/23/16 05:33 PM

Thanks for the reply Smithaven. Helps to know how others do things.
Posted By: jagg

Re: Rigging for bluegill fishing - 04/24/16 05:34 AM

I really like a pineapple or cylinder style drop shot weight. It's definitely your best bet to slip under the canopies. Use a little heavier weight to cleanly pop thru the canopy.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Rigging for bluegill fishing - 04/24/16 09:21 AM

Size five split shot about four to six inches from a size six cricket hook. Thread a piece of night crawler on the hook and go to town. Plane and simple! hooked
Posted By: Catfish_Hunter

Re: Rigging for bluegill fishing - 04/24/16 09:06 PM

My goto is a small balsa float and a hook...no weight. Sometimes I go just a hook with no bobber or weight. Have had times where rigging any other way only produced small (<6") gills, but ditching everything but the hook yielded 75-90% of Fish being 7" and up.

Re: Rigging for bluegill fishing - 04/24/16 09:08 PM

Thanks for the replies. Understand what you are saying Banker, but I was asking if you use the kind of splitshots that have "wings" so you can open them? Those are the kind I have, but they are hanging the grass pretty bad. Been thinking I ought to switch to the round kind that don't have the little wing pinch tabs that are for opening them. Tried a little bell sinker and also one of the little drop shot sinkers and they both worked better. Was just wanting to compare notes to see what you guys use for a bluegill dropshot rig.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum