Texas Fishing Forum

Set up

Posted By: Douglas J

Set up - 04/17/16 07:00 PM

I have a chance to go do some bream fishing in a private lake in east Texas this summer with some hybrid bluegill up to 3 pounds.

I am a bass fisherman so I was curious what would be my best set up to purchase to fish for these fish? Do I need a long 10-12 foot rod? I already have a good ultra light spinning reel, I think will work well.

Thanks
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Set up - 04/17/16 07:50 PM

Pick up or order you a Shakespeare Ugly Stick Combo. Get the five foot rod. Spool the reel with six pound test line with a size six cricket hook and a size 5 shot. Get you a carton of night crawlers and you will catch all you want. The above combo will cost about $30.00. Acadamey and Bass Pro Shops carry some super pan fish tackle. They are a blast to catch on ultra light tackle not to mention they are very good eating. thumb
Posted By: Catfish-hunter

Re: Set up - 04/18/16 12:15 AM

Not sure $30 will cover it but a "light action" spinning rod setup is perfect. Ultra lights are to drink,lights are to fish with. Catch some bream longer than an ultra light can and you should eat it.Goodluck
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Set up - 04/18/16 03:46 PM

Seems to me that your ultra light rod/reel should work just fine. Make sure your other tackle matches the target. Size 6 hooks,small shot,and a good sunfish bait. Worms.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Set up - 04/18/16 05:06 PM

I do not have a rod that is suitable, just an older Daiwa ultra light spinning reel.

Thanks for the advice from all!
Posted By: charlief1

Re: Set up - 04/19/16 03:38 AM

What's wrong with a fly rod? Catching gills on a fly rod can't be beat. banana
Posted By: jagg

Re: Set up - 04/20/16 07:14 AM

Diawa Xtralite. Your local Academy should have quite a few in stock to choose from. Very good rods for the money.
Posted By: Chiprat

Re: Set up - 04/20/16 10:10 AM

Originally Posted By: banker-always fishing
Pick up or order you a Shakespeare Ugly Stick Combo. Get the five foot rod. Spool the reel with six pound test line with a size six cricket hook and a size 5 shot. Get you a carton of night crawlers and you will catch all you want. The above combo will cost about $30.00. Acadamey and Bass Pro Shops carry some super pan fish tackle. They are a blast to catch on ultra light tackle not to mention they are very good eating. thumb

I have 4 Ugly Cast reels, and they are Great for this type of action.. IMO
Posted By: erittmueller

Re: Set up - 04/20/16 01:09 PM

You'll catch more on lures than bait because you can cover water faster and not have to rebait. 1/16oz, 1/8oz, and probably 1/4oz (for the big big ones) rooster tails slaughter them in ponds. I would downsize the treble hooks on the 1/8 and 1/4, bream will chase these and pound the back half trying to wound it so a smaller hook catches more. Crappie jigs with bobber or no bobber on 1/16 and 1/32 jig heads.

Eric
Posted By: Bob Landry

Re: Set up - 04/20/16 01:58 PM

I'm with Banker. There's not anything much more fun than perch-jerking with an ultra-lite. Nightcrawlers get them when nothing else will. You also run the risk of hitting a big catfish or a bass for an even bigger fight.
Posted By: Anchorman

Re: Set up - 04/20/16 02:10 PM

I have hybrid blue gill in my pond. They are not up to 3 lbs yet but they are growing well. They are about 8-10". A lot of fun to catch. If you have kids going with you be sure to pick up some night crawlers and bobbers. If not everything mentioned above will work fine. I like the challenge of artificial lures. Rooster tails, road runners, small beetle spins, crappie jigs, all will work. You will need to see what kinds of grass etc is in the pond then adapt. carry you some shad scent to spray on your lure. It helps. Slab slobber etc or any other scent attractant will work for blue gill.

If you are going to use a spinning reel use a swivel. I like a simple snap swivel so I can change baits easily. It doesn't effect the bite but will save you some frustration with line twist. But if you are using a crappie jig don't use a swivel. Use a loop knot. Use the swivel for all the cast and retrieve type lures.

Good luck with them monster blue gill. I smell the grease heating up. Post some pics!
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Set up - 04/20/16 02:44 PM

Having a good Shakespeare UL Ugly Stick on the side while bass fishing is all you need. When the bass bite is slow find some hungry Bluegill! As already been said catching sunfish on ultra light is very hard to beat. Also catching them on the fly is hard to beat. woot
Posted By: highcountry

Re: Set up - 04/21/16 01:38 PM

I'm a big believer in better safe than sorry. If the sunnies were under 10", any ultralight setup would be fine, but if there are truly 2-3 pounders in there, I'd invest in a higher quality IM6/8 rod and trusted brand name reel with at least six bearings. Might check the web for close outs/clearance at Academy, Basspro, Dicks and especially the Bargain area at your nearest Cabelas. There have been some incredible deals this year particularly at Cabelas and Dicks! Another reason to step up in an unknown body of water... You never know when a large fish of another species is gonna slam your offering!
Posted By: JigandJeep

Re: Set up - 04/21/16 02:16 PM

I'm pretty sure a little ugly stick UL can handle any sunfish you could possibly catch. I caught both of these fish jigging for crappie on the same 4'8" ugly stick and a little Mitchell Avocet reel. The fish at the end of the bent poll is about a 8-10 lb. carp. Not sure what the bass weighed, but I'm pretty confident it was 6+ lbs. 6lb Mr. Crappie Hi vis line.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Set up - 04/21/16 02:19 PM

Originally Posted By: JigandJeep
I'm pretty sure a little ugly stick UL can handle any sunfish you could possibly catch. I caught both of these fish jigging for crappie on the same 4'8" ugly stick and a little Mitchell Avocet reel. The fish at the end of the bent poll is about a 8-10 lb. carp. Not sure what the bass weighed, but I'm pretty confident it was 6+ lbs. 6lb Mr. Crappie Hi vis line.

Yes Sir! Nothing beats a good ugly stick! hooked
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum