Texas Fishing Forum

Favorite Rod for Sunnies

Posted By: SlowDown

Favorite Rod for Sunnies - 04/01/16 12:45 AM

Just curious to learn from you guys on the forum, what is your favorite rod for sunfish, Ultra Light, Light, or Medium Light? Also, what length do you prefer? Any comments you could offer to explain why you prefer it would be helpful.
Posted By: Smithaven

Re: Favorite Rod for Sunnies - 04/01/16 01:23 AM

My favorite rod is a 4 1/2 foot ultra light. I have several brands. I also have about 30 longer rods that I paid considerably more for. The reason I like the short ultra lights is simple: they do the best job. I mostly fish for sunfish, so a rod capable of horsing a large fish is not required. I fish from docks, so the short rod enables me to cast in crowded conditions. And the small baits are cast well.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Favorite Rod for Sunnies - 04/01/16 01:24 AM

Shakespeare 5'(UL) Ugly Stick! thumb

Re: Favorite Rod for Sunnies - 04/01/16 01:45 AM

Thanks for the replies Smithaven and Banker. I have two UL rods. The one that feels best is a 5'Tralite made by Quantum. I was lucky enough to hang the line and reel it up off the bottom of the lake a few years ago. It and the reel looked like new, so it had only been in the water a short time. My other UL is a Premier, made by St. Crix. It plays fish nicely, but feels whippy when I cast it. That's one thing I've noticed about UL rods, the longer they are, the more they feel like a whippy switch, and I don't like that feel. Since I fish from a boat with my fishing buddy most of the time, I sometimes need to make fairly long casts, and I guess a longer rods gives me a little more distance. I also have a lite action rod, 6', a BPS rod, but have not rigged it up for sunnies, thinking it probably doesn't have a tip action soft enough for a sunny.
Posted By: J-Moe

Re: Favorite Rod for Sunnies - 04/01/16 02:07 AM

I also use a 5' ultra light ugly stik. I use it for bluegill, crappie and white bass in the creeks. A shorter rod works better in that situation. The biggest problem I faced this year was throwing a single 1/32 ounce jig with 6 lb. test line. It's very interesting what you said about the Quantum Xtralite 5' rod. I have a friend who is one of the best white bass fisherman anywhere. He uses a 5' Quantum Xtralite rod and throws a single 1/32 ounce marabou jig all the time. What I found is the Xtralite was a moderate acting rod vs. the ugly stik which is a fast acting rod. The moderate acting rod is much better for throwing light jigs. It is on my list to purchase before next years white bass run.

Re: Favorite Rod for Sunnies - 04/01/16 03:02 AM

J-Moe, I really didn't know the rod was a moderate action, but it is rated for 2 to 6 lb. line and 1/64 to 1/8 oz. lures. I throw 1/32 oz. jigs, with pieces of worms, on it all the time. It is a great feeling/handling little rod. Thanks for your reply.
Posted By: jagg

Re: Favorite Rod for Sunnies - 04/02/16 07:35 AM

My favorite is my 6'9" St Croix Panfish series rod. If you want to fish a UL that is not "whippy" this is probably the one. Other than that, you may be better of with a light action rod. BTW, if that 6' light action Bass Pro rod is the MicroLite Graphite series, you have a gem. Also, that Xtralite rod is a heck of a rod for the money.
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Favorite Rod for Sunnies - 04/02/16 11:59 AM

5'6" Bass Pro UL series rod. Can't beat em for sunfish.

Side Note: I also use my flyrod.

Re: Favorite Rod for Sunnies - 04/02/16 10:15 PM

Originally Posted By: jagg
My favorite is my 6'9" St Croix Panfish series rod. If you want to fish a UL that is not "whippy" this is probably the one. Other than that, you may be better of with a light action rod. BTW, if that 6' light action Bass Pro rod is the MicroLite Graphite series, you have a gem. Also, that Xtralite rod is a heck of a rod for the money.

Jagg, just checked and my BPS rod is a 5'6" Light Action rod, Extreme, HM54 Graphite, Model Number ETX56LX. I think I said earlier that it was a 6' rod, but it is 5'6". It is a nice handling little rod that can be used for a number of purposes.
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Favorite Rod for Sunnies - 04/04/16 11:04 PM

Ugly Stick.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum