Texas Fishing Forum

Hey y'all

Posted By: SK.

Hey y'all - 03/30/16 02:46 PM

I've only recently hooked into a few redear & love the fight they put up & I hear they are tasty table fare. Where I've caught them they are not safe to eat but I hear there is a good number of them in Lake Conroe.
What type of habitat are these fish attracted to depths & structure?
Any hoot here is a report that I've shared on a couple other forums....

Man was it a crappieless funfilled catchn trip yestdy with a big bonus that I ain't never had happen ever before.....
I was catchn red ear, pumpkins & blue gill every single cast, on this one red ear I always let them tire out since they put up a purdy good fight for there size well as I'm letting this one fight I see a big wave & a extra pull on my line, there was this BIG long nose gar that had clamped down on this fish & would not leet it go, I get him up next to the bank & grab my phone to snap a couple pics & he decides to let go before I could get my phone opened....
Twas fun for sure.....

Any hoot I snapped a few pics of the better redear...anybody ever target them? If so what habitat do they like on lakes? The way these things fight I'd like to dedicate a few trips after'em & I hear they arepurdy tasty.....

Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Hey y'all - 03/30/16 04:23 PM

Perfect eating size! Nice fish. thumb I love catching Redear. They are the biggest of the Sunfish family (Bluegill,Redear,Green,Longear,Redbreast,and Warmouth). Redear usually thrive in water bodies with good current. They love hanging around structure such as docks,brush piles,and stick-ups. Great fighters and very good eating. cheers

Side Note: I have also caught some nice Redear in a creek not far from where I live. The creek is a inner city creek. Even though there is no consumption ban on that body of water I personally would not eat the fish. Just my two cents. 2cents

Re: Hey y'all - 03/30/16 05:22 PM

Thanks Banker, I really enjoyed the fight they gave.....
Sound like they should hang with the crappie if they like structure well except for the current part.......
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Hey y'all - 03/30/16 06:18 PM

Originally Posted By: SK.
Sound like they should hang with the crappie if they like structure well except for the current part.......

You can usually catch both Redear and Bluegill with Crappie. I have found all three many a time hanging together around the same brush pile or by the same dock! hooked

Re: Hey y'all - 03/30/16 09:22 PM

Originally Posted By: banker-always fishing
Originally Posted By: SK.

You can usually catch both Redear and Bluegill with Crappie. I have found all three many a time hanging together around the same brush pile or by the same dock! hooked

Thanks bud, I'll for sure post up whenever I get to put that trip together.... thumb
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Hey y'all - 04/02/16 12:16 PM

Nice fish. My favorite of the sunfish to catch. As for eating they are super. I only eat fish from larger water bodies. Also I have caught lots of Redear while fishing for Crappie during the winter time. Brush piles in 15 to 20 feet of water. During the spring and summer you can find them by docks.
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Hey y'all - 04/04/16 11:13 PM

Nice Redear! Good job.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum