Texas Fishing Forum

Early Springtime Bluegill-Rio Fest!

Posted By: banker-always fishing

Early Springtime Bluegill-Rio Fest! - 03/23/16 09:05 PM

Fished the Guadalupe River in a couple of spots and the Bluegill and Rio bite was on FIRE! Caught a bunch of very nice Bluegill in the 7 to 8 inch range along with a nice bunch of big Rios. I caught three Rios in the 10 inch range and one that was just a little over 11 inches. Rounding out the catch were a couple of nice Redbreast in the 8 inch range and a nice bass in the three pound range. All of the sunfish including the Rios were urinating while the hook was being taken out. This means the spawn is not that far off. All fish were released. Fish are very active looking for food before the spawn. All fish were caught on worms using both float and bottom techniques. Fish were found in 3 to 5 feet of water holding by large rocks and brush piles. Was trying to sight fish the Rios but the Bluegill would usually get the bait. It was about four Bluegill to every one Rio. A great early spring day fishing the Guadalupe River. It just don't get any better. fish

Posted By: K.G

Re: Early Springtime Bluegill-Rio Fest! - 03/23/16 09:14 PM

thumb

Re: Early Springtime Bluegill-Rio Fest! - 03/23/16 09:15 PM

Thanks K.G for the reply! It is going to be one good year! hooked
Posted By: gar1970

Re: Early Springtime Bluegill-Rio Fest! - 03/24/16 04:12 AM

nice report as always and great looking fish!
Posted By: J-Moe

Re: Early Springtime Bluegill-Rio Fest! - 03/24/16 11:31 AM

That's a great sign!!! Catching trophy Rios this early in the year. You might just catch that 12 inch Rio this year. Or maybe I'll beat you to it roflmao

Great catch and thanks for the report thumb
Posted By: Action_Jackson

Re: Early Springtime Bluegill-Rio Fest! - 03/25/16 01:31 PM

WTG Banker an buds!!! Wish we had Rios up this way bang

Looking forward to a great year of bull gills and shellcrackers cheers

Re: Early Springtime Bluegill-Rio Fest! - 03/30/16 12:24 PM

Thanks gar1970,Jamie,and A.J. for the replies! cheers Getting trophy Rios and a bunch of nice Bluegill in very early spring is surely a great sign for a great year! hooked
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Early Springtime Bluegill-Rio Fest! - 04/02/16 12:35 PM

Nice fishing Chuck and getting trophy Rios this early in the year. When will the Rios start their spawn and nest guarding? How will the Rio year be?
Posted By: Let's go

Re: Early Springtime Bluegill-Rio Fest! - 04/04/16 12:14 PM

Those rios are pretty thumb
Posted By: drrouter

Re: Early Springtime Bluegill-Rio Fest! - 04/04/16 03:34 PM

I haven't caught a Rio in 2 years! Gotta get out there more. Good job BAF.
Posted By: Dfitz

Re: Early Springtime Bluegill-Rio Fest! - 04/05/16 08:19 PM

Those Rios make my mouth water
Posted By: Kent Meadows aka Team Hooligan

Re: Early Springtime Bluegill-Rio Fest! - 04/06/16 03:34 AM

Chuck, how long does it normally take for those 8" fish to reach 10" during say normal conditions. Also is this an earlier Rio bite than normal?

Re: Early Springtime Bluegill-Rio Fest! - 04/06/16 11:50 AM

Thanks guys for the replies. cheers Drrouter: With the mild winter we had you should catch a bunch of em. hooked Curtis: The Rios should start sitting on their nest by late April or very early May. eeks Kent: Rios grow between 2 to 4 inches a year depending on water bodies and conditions.(Until they achieve their maximum growth.) A 8" Rio should be about 10" in a year if conditions are good. coolio
Posted By: SK.

Re: Early Springtime Bluegill-Rio Fest! - 04/06/16 08:50 PM

Excellent CATCHN trip for sure....
Those rio's look like they could put up a good fight...

Re: Early Springtime Bluegill-Rio Fest! - 04/10/16 11:07 AM

Thanks SK for the reply. Yes Sir Rios are some super fighters! boxing
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Early Springtime Bluegill-Rio Fest! - 04/12/16 11:58 PM

Originally Posted By: banker-always fishing
Thanks guys for the replies. cheers Drrouter: With the mild winter we had you should catch a bunch of em. hooked Curtis: The Rios should start sitting on their nest by late April or very early May. eeks Kent: Rios grow between 2 to 4 inches a year depending on water bodies and conditions.(Until they achieve their maximum growth.) A 8" Rio should be about 10" in a year if conditions are good. coolio

Thanks Chuck. I caught my first Rio of the year last week fishing Mcqueeney up river. Checked several spots the past weekend and did not see any on nest.

Re: Early Springtime Bluegill-Rio Fest! - 04/14/16 01:01 PM

First of many more Curtis. Rios will start sitting on next towards the end of April or early May. hmmm
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Early Springtime Bluegill-Rio Fest! - 04/18/16 04:19 PM

Nice fish. Great seeing those Rios!

Side Note: Do you think this will be a good year on getting bigger Rios? I figured the mild winter we had will be a big factor.

Re: Early Springtime Bluegill-Rio Fest! - 04/20/16 05:12 AM

Thanks Gitter for the reply! cheers Yes Sir this should be a very good year for catching Trophy Rios. I have already been catching a few nice ones. thumb The mild winter along with the good rainfall will be a huge factor in this years Rio bite. hmmm

Side Note: Mike USMC-GY has also been catching some nice ones. hooked
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Early Springtime Bluegill-Rio Fest! - 04/27/16 08:50 PM

The area really has been getting a lot of rain lately. Army Corps is letting out water at Canyon Lake. I heard the currents on the Guadalupe are strong and the water is cold. Based on what I have been reading on the forum from you Rio guys this is not a good thing. Shades of last year by chance? What is your take.

Re: Early Springtime Bluegill-Rio Fest! - 05/01/16 10:31 AM

Originally Posted By: Gitter Done
The area really has been getting a lot of rain lately. Army Corps is letting out water at Canyon Lake. I heard the currents on the Guadalupe are strong and the water is cold. Based on what I have been reading on the forum from you Rio guys this is not a good thing. Shades of last year by chance? What is your take.

Shades of last May! Hopefully it will not get like that! nuts Last years flooding slowed the sunfish bite down a lot on the Guadalupe River. It totally took away the Rio bite. eeks

Side Note: If the current slows down and the water temperature rises into the low 70's this will be perfect! coolio Just my two cents. 2cents
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum