Texas Fishing Forum

If you had only one Artifical Bait to use!

Posted By: Laker One

If you had only one Artifical Bait to use! - 03/22/16 03:15 PM

If you had only one ARTIFICIAL BAIT to use on sunfish/or any other fish, what would it be?
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: If you had only one Artifical Bait to use! - 03/22/16 03:45 PM

I know it's artificial baits but I have to include LIVE NIGHT CRAWLERS! hammer As for artificial bait it would have to be the Gulp Alive Worms! hooked
Posted By: MJFort

Re: If you had only one Artifical Bait to use! - 03/22/16 04:12 PM

silver color Beetle Spin with Berkeley power bait 2in grub.
Posted By: Catfish-hunter

Re: If you had only one Artifical Bait to use! - 03/22/16 04:21 PM

Gulp alive minnows here,caught big red ear and nice blue gill off them. Unpainted 1/16 oz jig head #6 sickle hook and lip them. Bounce off bottom,oh man! Got to give it a pause laying on bottom,then when you pick up,they slurp it in. Clean bottom you can cast it and bounce it, same story,let them have time to look at it on the bottom,then bam! Attempt to move the bait a foot at a time,slow your roll. Late winter and early spring,on or near beds.About like now but haven't tried this year. Normally in 4-8' water. Sometimes it's crazy,son caught some near a bluff at canyon, it was 24' on tree side of boat,and 70' on main lake side. He casted about 25' from boat and locked reel letting the bait swing vertical. Big blue gill! It's a good bait man!
Posted By: erittmueller

Re: If you had only one Artifical Bait to use! - 03/22/16 04:56 PM

Small rooster tail
Posted By: River Mongrel

Re: If you had only one Artifical Bait to use! - 03/22/16 05:10 PM

flys have always did the job well for me
Posted By: TroyKing

Re: If you had only one Artifical Bait to use! - 03/22/16 07:01 PM

Originally Posted By: River Mongrel
flys have always did the job well for me
I don't fly fish yet...But I do use small beaded flies under a tiny weighted float this has caught some monsters...But my biggest bluegill came off of a 1/64the jig head I tied up with red foxtail hair and a red thread neck. I also took two strands off of a spinner bait skirt and tied them in to look like legs. kind of a hybrid jig/fly that is castable with ultra light spinning gear. FUN FUN FUN!!!
Posted By: J-Moe

Re: If you had only one Artifical Bait to use! - 03/22/16 08:37 PM

+3 on the fly rod. Either a top water popper or a light bead chain fly. I've caught everything from a 4" long ear to a 23.5 inch Buffalo on a size 8 gray & white bead chain clouser.
Posted By: doctorxring

Re: If you had only one Artifical Bait to use! - 03/23/16 02:42 AM

One lure only ? Rivers, stock tanks, lakes. Multi-specie. This one, no hesitation --

Size 07 Rapala Balsa Floating Minnow, silver foil.

Posted By: kjwolvy

Re: If you had only one Artifical Bait to use! - 03/23/16 05:20 AM

1/16th oz. Beetle Spin.
Posted By: Aquiles

Re: If you had only one Artifical Bait to use! - 03/23/16 06:13 AM

Tiny Zoom Brush Hog in Watermelon Red Texas rigged its my nephews go to lure for 5 years.
Posted By: REDGUN

Re: If you had only one Artifical Bait to use! - 03/23/16 03:14 PM

Originally Posted By: TroyKing
But my biggest bluegill came off of a 1/64the jig head I tied up with red foxtail hair and a red thread neck. I also took two strands off of a spinner bait skirt and tied them in to look like legs. kind of a hybrid jig/fly that is castable with ultra light spinning gear. FUN FUN FUN!!!

My version of this ^^^ bait. I call them "Gill Bugs". thumb I have caught my best gills with crickets. Anything that looks "crickety" will get the attention of big gills.

Posted By: highcountry

Re: If you had only one Artifical Bait to use! - 03/23/16 04:06 PM

Gulp Alive grubs or minnows. Fly/bubble with Pistol Petes.

Re: If you had only one Artifical Bait to use! - 03/23/16 04:30 PM

Originally Posted By: REDGUN
But my biggest bluegill came off of a 1/64the jig head I tied up with red foxtail hair and a red thread neck. I also took two strands off of a spinner bait skirt and tied them in to look like legs. kind of a hybrid jig/fly that is castable with ultra light spinning gear. FUN FUN FUN!!!

My version of this ^^^ bait. I call them "Gill Bugs". thumb I have caught my best gills with crickets. Anything that looks "crickety" will get the attention of big gills.

Oh yeah!!! That's what I'm talking bout!...the possibilities are unlimited... really like your ties.
Posted By: REDGUN

Re: If you had only one Artifical Bait to use! - 03/23/16 10:25 PM

Oh yeah!!! That's what I'm talking bout!...the possibilities are unlimited... really like your ties.

Super simple to tie. I made most of those up with scrap material from tying crappie jigs. thumb

When coming through the water, they kinda look like a little water spider. Cut the front legs off, just in front of the head, and they look more like a cricket.

I also bottom fish, using the "drop shot" method, with a weightless version.

Re: If you had only one Artifical Bait to use! - 03/24/16 12:21 AM

Super nice!...do you prefer somthing differentfor red ear?
Posted By: J-Moe

Re: If you had only one Artifical Bait to use! - 03/24/16 01:56 AM

Those look like bluegill killers Redgun. Excellent flies thumb
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: If you had only one Artifical Bait to use! - 03/24/16 02:43 AM

Originally Posted By: REDGUN

Awesome baits! Nice job REDGUN! thumb
Posted By: Lovfldx

Re: If you had only one Artifical Bait to use! - 03/24/16 03:48 AM

For bluegills and sunfish, Hollow body tube jig on a 1/32nd upainted jig head. Color, I am beginning to find out, doesn't really matter, they all catch 'gills and sunnies!
Posted By: jagg

Re: If you had only one Artifical Bait to use! - 03/24/16 07:42 AM

Grub! For UL guys who throw jig/plastics, the grub is the bread and butter. Some type of grub can and will catch bream all year long.
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: If you had only one Artifical Bait to use! - 04/04/16 10:18 PM

Best all around lure the Hot Spot.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum