Texas Fishing Forum

Some Good Old Fashioned Creek Fishing!

Posted By: banker-always fishing

Some Good Old Fashioned Creek Fishing! - 02/26/16 10:02 PM

Did some good old fashioned creek fishing this past week. Fished several local creeks and the bite is picking up. Caught some nice Bluegill and a few Channel Cats. The creeks are in good condition with good current. Water was stained due to resent rains and runoff. Fish were caught in 3 to 4 feet of water holding close to the bank by brush piles and overhanging tree limbs. No room to cast you had to flip your bait.Bluegill were in 7 to 8 inch range(perfect eating size)and the catfish were in the one to two pound range.All were released. Worms were used with a bottom technique. This time of year the insects are few and the snakes for the most part have not gotten active. Late winter creek fishing. It just don't get any better! fish

Posted By: JigandJeep

Re: Some Good Old Fashioned Creek Fishing! - 02/26/16 10:16 PM

Looks like fun, great job. I'm sure your freezer is full, but I would've been tempted to take that nice looking channel cat home for lunch! Thanks for sharing, I've been striking out on the sunfish lately, good to see some hope on the horizon.

Re: Some Good Old Fashioned Creek Fishing! - 02/26/16 11:03 PM

Thanks JigandJeep! cheers Yes Sir Channel Cats are awesome eating just like the Bluegill. food I have been eating my share of Crappie and Trout this winter and have been letting the rest go. hmmm That will change once spring time arrives. thumb

Side Note: Give it a few more week and the Sunfish bite will be picking up for sure. hooked

Re: Some Good Old Fashioned Creek Fishing! - 02/27/16 10:35 AM

A few more creek Gills! thumb

Posted By: Hunter498

Re: Some Good Old Fashioned Creek Fishing! - 02/27/16 11:17 AM

Looks like fun!!Great pics!
Posted By: CopenhagenPete

Re: Some Good Old Fashioned Creek Fishing! - 02/27/16 07:21 PM

Always a great bonus catching some cats while panfishing. Last year I was teaching my oldest boy how to fish plastics for bass and thought I hooked a large one in the process. To my surprise it was a big channel cat. Sure tasted good!! You sure do catch a lot of fish banker. Good job!

Re: Some Good Old Fashioned Creek Fishing! - 03/04/16 03:23 PM

Thanks Hunter 498 and CopenhagenPete for the replies. cheers CopenhagenPete: Seems a Channel Cat will hit just about anything. I have caught em on worms(both artificial and live),corn,lures,jigs,and even trout bait not to mention just regular catfish bait. hooked Oh yea. Got to agree with you. coolio They are good eating! thumb
Posted By: Dfitz

Re: Some Good Old Fashioned Creek Fishing! - 03/12/16 05:43 PM

I love hiking a small creek with a 4wt fly rod. Always catch a variety of fish and the sunfish normally have amazing colors. Seems like each region or even creek has their own subspecies. This is particularly the case for longear, there are places in Dallas that have a more gold/turquoise color, but places in ETX have a deep red/rust color.

It's a fun way to fish but you have to deal with lots of critters.

Re: Some Good Old Fashioned Creek Fishing! - 03/17/16 05:44 AM

Thanks Andrew for the reply! cheers Yes sir creek fishing can get very interesting at times. hmmm Winter time is usually a good time to fish the creeks do the fact that the snakes are not usually out during that time. eeks Now that spring is almost here and the fact we had a very mild winter,the snakes and insects are going to really be out there! nuts Got to be careful fishing those creeks. thumb
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Some Good Old Fashioned Creek Fishing! - 03/22/16 02:31 PM

Nice post and fish Chuck. Winter time is the best time for creek fishing. Did not get much of a chance fishing the creeks this past winter. There will be plenty of insects and snakes out this year do to the very mild past winter. Stay safe out there and watch where you step.

Side Note: Already saw my first snake of the year. A very large water snake on Mcqueeney!

Re: Some Good Old Fashioned Creek Fishing! - 03/27/16 09:49 AM

Thanks Curtis for the reply! cheers Yes Sir snakes are already out. I have seen three so far all of them water snakes as well! eeks Also stepped on my first fire ant bed of the year. hammer
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Some Good Old Fashioned Creek Fishing! - 04/02/16 12:20 PM

Like you I have only seen water snakes nothing poisonous! Stay safe out there.

Re: Some Good Old Fashioned Creek Fishing! - 04/05/16 11:39 AM

Originally Posted By: Laker One
Like you I have only seen water snakes nothing poisonous! Stay safe out there.

Yes Sir! Safety always FIRST! coolio
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Some Good Old Fashioned Creek Fishing! - 04/16/16 03:04 PM

Nice ones Chuck. You do very well on those creeks.

Side Note: Seeing any snakes? I can remember last year when you and USMC-GY walked up on a rattler!
Posted By: BassnJAK

Re: Some Good Old Fashioned Creek Fishing! - 04/17/16 04:41 PM

saw 6 last sunday on the Brazos all water snakes. they were enjoying the sun
time to be careful shocked

Re: Some Good Old Fashioned Creek Fishing! - 04/21/16 10:04 AM

Thanks Gitter and BassnJak for the replies. cheers Gitter: I have seen several snakes already this year but they have all been water snakes. You guys are right. It is time to be very careful out there. Got to watch your step for sure. eeks
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum