Texas Fishing Forum

A Good Day and a Trophy Redbreast!

Posted By: banker-always fishing

A Good Day and a Trophy Redbreast! - 02/16/16 03:20 PM

Fished three local spots yesterday and all three paid off. I fished the same three spots last week and almost got skunked. What a difference a week makes. Fished from 10am till 2pm and caught around 50 fish. Most of em were the perfect eating size,7 to 8 inch range,and fat. I also caught a nice Redbreast showing off it's spring colors. The fish was a little over 10 inches. Fish were caught in 7 to 10 feet of water holding by either grass beds or structure. Worms using bottom techniques was the bait of choice. Water bodies were all in great shape with good current. Water mostly was clear.All fish were released. If I did not have a mess of trout to eat,I would have taken home a few. After a day fishing I stopped at the Pica Taco in downtown Mcqueeney for a fantastic lunch. Getting into some some nice sunnies and eating at the Pica Taco. It just don't get any better. fish

Posted By: Fishmounter

Re: A Good Day and a Trophy Redbreast! - 02/16/16 04:11 PM

Man Chuck that's a giant Redbreast, nice work!
Posted By: J-Moe

Re: A Good Day and a Trophy Redbreast! - 02/16/16 04:22 PM

Great Redbreast Chuck thumb

The bluegill have been on fire in the creeks. Lake Somerville has had an explosion of small fish after the flood. I have been white bass fishing with my fly rod and can't hardly get the bait to the white bass without a small bluegill or crappie taking it first. I also caught my first Rock bass a couple weeks ago, and was told of a trophy Rock bass being caught in the same location a week later. I can guarantee one thing, it won't be the last Rock bass I catch, LOL!!

I tried the ponds last night and the bite was dead. I only caught 2. I was really surprised it wasn't on fire after these warm nights. It must have been something else shutting them down.

Re: A Good Day and a Trophy Redbreast! - 02/16/16 04:29 PM

Thanks Bryan and Jamie for the replies. cheers Bryan: Will be getting you some more work soon! thumb Jamie: I fished a couple of ponds last week and it was very slow also. taz The water was pretty cold. hmmm Managed a couple of small bass. nuts The sunfish bite was super good yesterday on the rivers. hmmm Got a feeling it will be picking up. coolio

Side Note: Been busy chasing Trout,White Bass,and Crappie! hooked
Posted By: Let's go

Re: A Good Day and a Trophy Redbreast! - 02/16/16 05:30 PM

Nice looking fish thumb
Posted By: doctorxring

Re: A Good Day and a Trophy Redbreast! - 02/17/16 03:36 AM

Very encouraging post Chuck !

Glad you guys had some luck. That redbreast is a stunner !
Posted By: palomar

Re: A Good Day and a Trophy Redbreast! - 02/17/16 01:48 PM

Great report! Nice looking fish thumb

Re: A Good Day and a Trophy Redbreast! - 02/17/16 02:19 PM

Thanks Lets Go,Doc,and palomar for the replies. cheers Doc: Sunfish bite has picked up now that we have had consistent days of warm weather. We should have a GREAT spring,summer,and fall! thumb
Posted By: Dfitz

Re: A Good Day and a Trophy Redbreast! - 02/17/16 03:55 PM

Thats an awesome Redbreast!

Re: A Good Day and a Trophy Redbreast! - 02/18/16 01:18 PM

Thanks Andrew! cheers Will not be long until the Sunfish will be showing off their Spring colors. coolio
Posted By: Dfitz

Re: A Good Day and a Trophy Redbreast! - 02/19/16 02:02 AM

Originally Posted By: banker-always fishing
Thanks Andrew! cheers Will not be long until the Sunfish will be showing off their Spring colors. coolio

Yes Sir, looking forward to catching those sunnies again and posting reports!
Posted By: Ruffneck2000

Re: A Good Day and a Trophy Redbreast! - 02/19/16 03:54 AM

thumb

Re: A Good Day and a Trophy Redbreast! - 02/24/16 01:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Fitz®
Originally Posted By: banker-always fishing

Yes Sir, looking forward to catching those sunnies again and posting reports!

Thanks Ruffneck2000 for the reply! cheers Andrew: Yes Sir we need more reports in this section for sure. eeks You can tell it is the slow time of the year for the Bluegill section. yawn
Posted By: Laker One

Re: A Good Day and a Trophy Redbreast! - 02/26/16 02:11 AM

Nice Redbreast Chuck. Redbreast and Bluegill are a great combination.

Side Note: Will not be long before those March/April Redbreast and Longear will be showing off their colors.

Re: A Good Day and a Trophy Redbreast! - 03/03/16 06:18 AM

Thanks Curtis for the reply. cheers I have already caught some beautiful Longear and a couple of Redbreast that had some super colors. Late March and April should be awesome months. thumb

Side Note: Crappie Spawn very near! coolio
Posted By: Laker One

Re: A Good Day and a Trophy Redbreast! - 03/03/16 01:08 PM

Thanks Chuck. Picked up some nice Bluegill off of the Mcqueeney docks this past Tuesday. Also the far east side is picking up on the Crappie bite. Got a mess Tuesday morning.

Re: A Good Day and a Trophy Redbreast! - 03/13/16 09:08 AM

Awesome Curtis! thumb Once the water clears up it is going to be "lights out fishing" for sure! hooked
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: A Good Day and a Trophy Redbreast! - 03/17/16 01:25 PM

Nice fish Chuck. When will the Redbreast start getting active especially on the Comal? I remember some very nice ones you posted a couple of years ago while fishing the Comal?

Re: A Good Day and a Trophy Redbreast! - 03/23/16 05:15 AM

Thanks Gitter for the reply! cheers Right now the Redbreast are starting to get active. Been catching a bunch that are really showing off their colors! Bite will only get better! thumb
Posted By: highcountry

Re: A Good Day and a Trophy Redbreast! - 03/23/16 04:09 PM

What a beauty, Chuck! Musta been a tonna fun on an ultralight... thumb

Re: A Good Day and a Trophy Redbreast! - 04/01/16 12:32 PM

Thanks HC for the reply! Yes Sir nothing beat a ultra light "Sunnie" fight!. boxing
Posted By: centxfishing

Re: A Good Day and a Trophy Redbreast! - 04/01/16 04:09 PM

I am from the other side of the lake and I am just curious if you fished above or below the dam? Don't have to give me any details I know the area very well just curious because I rarely fish on Dunlap. Most of the time I fish on top of the dam by the ski lodge along the lily pads and banks. I was very successful last spring and haven't got out yet to do much fishing.

Re: A Good Day and a Trophy Redbreast! - 04/05/16 11:37 AM

I usually fish Dunlap,Mcqueeney,Placid,and Meadow. eeks I do make it down to Wood also. coolio I do fish above Canyon about twice a year. That is one GREAT river. thumb Thanks centxfishing for the reply! cheers
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum