Texas Fishing Forum

Inline spinners for Panfish

Posted By: ftwfishing

Inline spinners for Panfish - 01/22/16 07:59 PM

Does anyone use inline spinners for sunnies...? And what is a good situation to use them.
Posted By: Tallgrass05

Re: Inline spinners for Panfish - 01/22/16 09:39 PM

I get them all the time on 1/8 oz Rooster Tails, in tanks, creeks, and reservoirs. More commonly along the rip rap in reservoirs.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Inline spinners for Panfish - 01/22/16 11:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Tallgrass05
I get them all the time on 1/8 oz Rooster Tails, in tanks, creeks, and reservoirs. More commonly along the rip rap in reservoirs.

Plus #1 on the Rooster Tails! cheers I usually use Night Crawler Worms 95 percent of the time when I fish for Sunfish. coolio When I do use a lure it is either a Rooster Tail or a Little George! Caught many of sunnies on em. hooked
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Inline spinners for Panfish - 01/22/16 11:56 PM

Don't target the Sunfish but love reading the post. When I do catch em it is usually on an jig or small spinner bait like a Rooster Tail.
Posted By: kjwolvy

Re: Inline spinners for Panfish - 01/23/16 06:36 AM

Yup. I Catch a lot on size 1 Mepps. Plain hooks work just fine. Costs less than dressed hooks.
Posted By: jagg

Re: Inline spinners for Panfish - 01/23/16 07:36 AM

In-line spinners are ideal, IMHO, for open water in a very short period before prespawn when sunfish and crappie move from deeper haunts to just outside prime spawn sites and they tend to be great all Summer and early Fall. It's been my experience that they work best as search lures in open water, or if around cover, chunk rock, boulders and riprap. Around grass, other veg and wood, you're better off with a jig/spinner combo or an elbow spinnerbait. Panfish elbow spinners like Booyah makes are super weedless so you can stop and drop them into holes and pockets of weed beds and you can weave them thru brush like nobody's business. If they bite a spinnerbait, they should be fairly active. Once you find a good concentration, pick them off with a jig/plastic combo. Preferably from the outside in.
Posted By: Meadowlark

Re: Inline spinners for Panfish - 02/11/16 07:15 PM

Agree w/Jagg. The Mepps agulia is a great searching lure for 'gills. Works really well around the spring full moon days...about 2 days before and through 2 days after.
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Inline spinners for Panfish - 02/11/16 07:48 PM

Originally Posted By: jagg
In-line spinners are ideal, IMHO, for open water in a very short period before prespawn when sunfish and crappie move from deeper haunts to just outside prime spawn sites and they tend to be great all Summer and early Fall. It's been my experience that they work best as search lures in open water, or if around cover, chunk rock, boulders and riprap. Around grass, other veg and wood, you're better off with a jig/spinner combo or an elbow spinnerbait. Panfish elbow spinners like Booyah makes are super weedless so you can stop and drop them into holes and pockets of weed beds and you can weave them thru brush like nobody's business. If they bite a spinnerbait, they should be fairly active. Once you find a good concentration, pick them off with a jig/plastic combo. Preferably from the outside in.

What jagg said!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum