Texas Fishing Forum

Winter Trip on the Sabinal River! (Great winter time bite).

Posted By: banker-always fishing

Winter Trip on the Sabinal River! (Great winter time bite). - 01/16/16 02:38 PM

Made my first trip of the year to the Sabinal River and both the sunfish and the Rainbow Trout bite was very good. Caught a nice Redear and plenty of Rainbow's. A nice bass and a some Bluegill rounded out the catch. The river is in GREAT shape with good current. The water is crystal clear. The Redear was caught using worms and was holding by a grass bed in about eight feet of water. The bass was also caught on worms holding close to the bank. The trout were all caught on a gold Super Duper lure. The trout were holding by rock bottoms next to shallow grass beds in about three feet of water. All of the sunfish were released. Most of the trout were released but I kept a limit for the frying pan. After a GREAT DAY on the Sabinal I headed to the Lost Maples Cafe in beautiful down town Utopia and had a SUPER beef enchilada plate complete with sides and desert. (Lunch time special). Spending a day in the GREAT Sabinal Valley. It just don't get any better! fish

Posted By: Bob9

Re: Winter Trip on the Sabinal River! (Great winter time bite). - 01/16/16 05:40 PM

Pretty water and nice catching, Chuck!

Bob
clap

Re: Winter Trip on the Sabinal River! (Great winter time bite). - 01/16/16 07:38 PM

Thanks Bob for the reply! cheers Love that Sabinal Valley area! thumb
Posted By: Dfitz

Re: Winter Trip on the Sabinal River! (Great winter time bite). - 01/17/16 12:06 AM

Nice going Chuck!
Posted By: Fishwfly

Re: Winter Trip on the Sabinal River! (Great winter time bite). - 01/17/16 05:04 AM

Love the post. I have been having great success with trout this season.

Re: Winter Trip on the Sabinal River! (Great winter time bite). - 01/17/16 07:50 AM

Thanks Andrew and Fishwfly for the replies. cheers Fishwfly: Yes Sir catching those Rainbows are hard to beat in the winter time. Great substitute for the sunfish during the off season! thumb
Posted By: etexbasser

Re: Winter Trip on the Sabinal River! (Great winter time bite). - 01/17/16 01:30 PM

Nice catch. I really enjoy that area. Will be spending a week out there this summer with the family.
Posted By: JigandJeep

Re: Winter Trip on the Sabinal River! (Great winter time bite). - 01/17/16 03:01 PM

Great job. Do you have to go with smaller diameter line when the water is that clear and probably cold, or do you stick with what, like 6 lb?

Re: Winter Trip on the Sabinal River! (Great winter time bite). - 01/17/16 03:11 PM

Thanks etexbasser and JigandJeep for the replies! cheers Etexbasser: Yes Sir love that river. I plan on fishing it a few times this year! coolio JigandJeep: I use the regular six pound test line. No problems at all weather it's trout biting or the native fish biting. hooked The water in that area is some of the clearest water you will find anywhere! Great place to visit and fish! thumb
Posted By: gar1970

Re: Winter Trip on the Sabinal River! (Great winter time bite). - 01/18/16 04:02 AM

nicely done!

Re: Winter Trip on the Sabinal River! (Great winter time bite). - 01/18/16 07:22 AM

Thanks gar1970 for the reply! cheers Love that Sabinal Valley! thumb
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Winter Trip on the Sabinal River! (Great winter time bite). - 01/22/16 11:59 PM

Super post Chuck. Got to love that part of Texas. Nice fish. Good job.

Side Note: When will the Sunfish start getting active in that area?

Re: Winter Trip on the Sabinal River! (Great winter time bite). - 01/29/16 11:15 AM

Thanks Gitter for the reply! cheers Sunfish will start getting active during the spring! Should be a very good year. Rivers in that area are in GREAT shape! thumb

Love that Sabinal Valley! coolio
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Winter Trip on the Sabinal River! (Great winter time bite). - 02/02/16 12:41 PM

Kind of figured Spring. Thanks for the information!

Re: Winter Trip on the Sabinal River! (Great winter time bite). - 02/07/16 10:22 AM

thumb
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Winter Trip on the Sabinal River! (Great winter time bite). - 02/11/16 08:31 PM

Nice post Chuck. Love that Sabinal Valley. How do you think the sunfish bite will be this season.

Re: Winter Trip on the Sabinal River! (Great winter time bite). - 02/19/16 10:56 AM

Thanks Curtis for the reply. cheers The Sunfish bite should be awesome this year not only in the Sabinal Valley but the hill country as well. coolio

Side Note: We can use some rain but not the flooding! thumb
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Winter Trip on the Sabinal River! (Great winter time bite). - 03/03/16 01:05 PM

Mcqueeney starting to pick-up on the sunnies. Had a good day Tuesday off of the docks. Also looks like a good chance of rain early next week.

Side Note: Jeff and I planing a kayak trip soon for the Sabinal Valley!

Re: Winter Trip on the Sabinal River! (Great winter time bite). - 03/10/16 01:10 PM

Yes Sir Curtis once this latest rain clears off and weather patterns settle down the bite is really going to pick up. hooked Shaping up to be a super year. thumb

Side Note: Give us a shout out on your upcoming trip! coolio
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum