Texas Fishing Forum

A Nice Fall Day on Dunlap!

Posted By: banker-always fishing

A Nice Fall Day on Dunlap! - 10/07/15 07:07 PM

Myself,Fred ("Rionator"),and Manuel fished Lake Dunlap yesterday from 1pm till 5pm and the bite was fair. We caught several fat Bluegill in the 7 to 8 inch range,some small bass,Redbreast in the 8 inch range,one trophy Rio in the 10 inch range and a nice big Hybrid Sunfish that was 11 inches even. Fish were caught close to drop offs in 7 to 12 feet of water. Drop shot and bottom techniques were both used. The water was clear with good current. Worms was the bait used. All fish were released to fight again. The big Hybrid was measured and Fred's fish will be the pending Catch&Release Hybrid Sunfish Record for Lake Dunlap. Fishing Dunlap on a fall afternoon with good friends. It just don't get any better. fish

Posted By: Dfitz

Re: A Nice Fall Day on Dunlap! - 10/08/15 01:07 AM

You guys always wear them out!

Congrats on the record Fred thumb

Love this month cheers
Posted By: kayakbuzzin

Re: A Nice Fall Day on Dunlap! - 10/08/15 03:48 AM

Sounds like it was fun. Nice fish as well heck yea!

Re: A Nice Fall Day on Dunlap! - 10/08/15 05:12 AM

Thanks Andrew and "kayakbuzzin" for the replies. cheers Andrew: Will try to make it up there in the Wimberly area but it will be "a slim maybe". eeks Plans tomorrow and a dental appointment Friday. bang Working Saturday and Sunday. hammer

Side Note: October is a very GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD fishing month. thumb
Posted By: Hunter498

Re: A Nice Fall Day on Dunlap! - 10/08/15 10:36 AM

Great Rio!!

Re: A Nice Fall Day on Dunlap! - 10/08/15 11:25 AM

Thanks "Hunter498" for the reply. Nice Rios have been very hard to find on Dunlap this year. I think it was due to the late spring flooding we had. Really messed up their patterns. hide2
Posted By: SlowDown

Re: A Nice Fall Day on Dunlap! - 10/08/15 06:35 PM

Congrats to you and your friends Banker. Also, just know that your pictures add pleasure for all of us that visit the Bluegill/Sunfish forum.
Posted By: J-Moe

Re: A Nice Fall Day on Dunlap! - 10/08/15 08:19 PM

Great pictures. Interesting to hear and see the water was clear on Dunlap. Both times I went it was very dirty. Especially around the trophy docks. I didn't think it ever cleared up, LOL.

Re: A Nice Fall Day on Dunlap! - 10/14/15 06:02 AM

Thanks "fish 'till I drop" and Jamie for the replies. cheers "fish 'till I drop": Love taking those scenery shots. Nothing beats being in the outdoors. coolio Jamie: Dunlap is really clearing up good. clap I fished it yesterday and the water was really looking good. Big change for what it was during the summer. hmmm
Posted By: Laker One

Re: A Nice Fall Day on Dunlap! - 10/18/15 10:08 PM

Great post. You guys always seem to find nice fish. Love those river lakes!

Side Note: Chuck do you think the spring flooding played a part in the bite on the river lakes? noidea

Re: A Nice Fall Day on Dunlap! - 10/24/15 09:57 PM

Thanks Curtis for the reply. cheers The spring floods played a huge part in the Sunfish and Rio bite on the River lakes for sure. All that cold water that was let out of Canyon Lake for two months changed a bunch of patterns especially with the Rios. Hopefully no more major flooding for awhile. thumb

Side Note: Any Mcqueeney updates? How much Rain did Jeff get this weekend? noidea
Posted By: Fishbonz

Re: A Nice Fall Day on Dunlap! - 10/25/15 08:33 AM

Banker-always CATCHIN thumb WTG

Re: A Nice Fall Day on Dunlap! - 10/29/15 01:13 PM

Thanks "Fishbonz" for the reply! cheers
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: A Nice Fall Day on Dunlap! - 11/01/15 02:32 PM

Nice post! I heard that Dunlap is a mess. Looks like it will be awhile before it clears up. More rain is on the way. Got just under 5" at the house this last round.

Re: A Nice Fall Day on Dunlap! - 11/09/15 01:50 PM

Thanks "Gitter" for the reply. cheers Dunlap along with the rest of the river lakes were a mess. nuts Looks like they are clearing up some. clap Hopefully no more flooding. hammer
Posted By: Fishbonz

Re: A Nice Fall Day on Dunlap! - 11/09/15 11:18 PM

Originally Posted By: banker-always fishing
Hey Banker are RIO`s edible like Brims ie: shell crackers ,blue gills etc?

Re: A Nice Fall Day on Dunlap! - 11/10/15 12:49 AM

Originally Posted By: Fishbonz
Hey Banker are RIO`s edible like Brims ie: shell crackers ,blue gills etc?

Yes Sir they are. eeks There are certain months when you do not want to eat em because of the side wounds they get fighting off other fish that attack their nest. duel The Months if you want to eat Rios are usually March,April,September,and October. hmmm Or if they have side wounds on em don't eat em. nuts I always release the Rios I catch. coolio If I do eat fish it is Crappie,Bluegill,Redear,Red Breast,White Bass,Catfish,Tilapia,and Rainbow Trout. thumb
Posted By: WillV

Re: A Nice Fall Day on Dunlap! - 11/10/15 02:18 AM

How is the water level and color? I've never fished there but was gonna head there tomorrow, I'm sure it saw plenty of rain a few weeks ago and probably flooding too. Has it recovered or should I wait another month before I give it a go? Talking about launching and looking for some bass.

Re: A Nice Fall Day on Dunlap! - 11/10/15 06:08 AM

Fished Dunlap yesterday and the water was very cloudy with lots of debree.The current was also strong. Dunlap is a very good bass lake during the fall and winter months providing there is no major flooding. There has been two major floods on that lake this year. Hopefully it will clear up and the winter bite will be good. hmmm
Posted By: WillV

Re: A Nice Fall Day on Dunlap! - 11/11/15 09:52 PM

Went to Bastrop instead, which was a good decision, because those bass are drilling top water baits right now up along the reeds.

Re: A Nice Fall Day on Dunlap! - 11/13/15 01:49 PM

Thanks "WillV" for the report. cheers You may a good decision. coolio Dunlap is looking better each day. clap Hopefully no more flooding! breakdance

Re: A Nice Fall Day on Dunlap! - 11/16/15 11:25 AM

Thanks Curtis for the reply. cheers The spring floods played a huge part in the Sunfish and Rio bite on the River lakes for sure. All that cold water that was let out of Canyon Lake for two months changed a bunch of patterns especially with the Rios. Hopefully no more major flooding for awhile. thumb

Side Note: Any Mcqueeney updates? How much Rain did Jeff get this weekend? noidea

Fished Mcqueeney this past weekend both Saturday and Sunday. Sunfish bite is picking back up. Bite was slow these past two weeks after the last flood. Water is cloudy. Been catching some nice ones by the bridge and main channel in 6 to 10 feet of water.

Re: A Nice Fall Day on Dunlap! - 11/22/15 02:37 PM

Thanks for the Mcqueeney report! thumb Winter patterns will be setting in this week! hmmm

Re: A Nice Fall Day on Dunlap! - 11/27/15 03:04 PM

No problem Chuck. Crappie bite is on fire right now. Fished the very far eastern half. Myself,Jeff,and Steve boated well over 100 fish.(Crappie). We also did very good this past Wednesday fishing a little closer to Seguin. Boated over 50 Crappie between myself and Jeff. Fished from a small Jon Boat we launched behind Jeff's house. Sunfish bite has really picked up ahead of this upcoming front. Starting to catch some very nice Redear!

Side Note: Looks like the Hill Country and Dallas are getting hammered with the rain! Like you stated. "Hope no more flooding".

Re: A Nice Fall Day on Dunlap! - 12/10/15 01:17 PM

thumb
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum