Texas Fishing Forum

One Very Beautiful Place to Fish! Also A Catch&Release Rio Record!

Posted By: banker-always fishing

One Very Beautiful Place to Fish! Also A Catch&Release Rio Record! - 10/05/15 07:58 PM

Fished a couple of days in the beautiful Southwestern part of the Texas Hill Country and both the scenery and fishing was fantastic. Fished both the Frio and Nueces Rivers. The water on both rivers was crystal clear with a good current. Along with the rolling hill side I saw plenty of deer,turkey,and a couple coveys of quail. Did not catch a one Rio on the Frio but did catch a very nice Redear along with a nice Redbreast. Rounding out the Frio catch were several bass and a couple of Bluegill in the 7" range. The Nueces river was awesome. Caught a couple nice Rios and one was a very nice trophy fish. 9" in length which is the the current Nueces River Catch&Release record Rio Grande Cichlid. Certificates arrived today.Rounding out the catch were a few Longear,Bluegill,bass,and a Tilapia that weighted over 2.5 Lbs. I also caught a few smaller ones that were all over one pound.Most fish were released.The Tilapia will go good in the frying pan or in the oven to be baked. Spent the night at Fort Clark Springs in Brackettville and had a super dinner at Daddy's Grill in beautiful down town Brackettville. Fishing the Hill Country in the Great Southwest. It just don't get any better. fish

Re: One Very Beautiful Place to Fish! Also A Catch&Release Rio Record! - 10/05/15 08:40 PM

Special thanks goes out to "South Tex Fish" on some very good information that he passed on. cheers You were 100 percent right! rockon
Posted By: Dfitz

Re: One Very Beautiful Place to Fish! Also A Catch&Release Rio Record! - 10/05/15 11:01 PM

Great report Chuck and once again you have some beautiful places to fish. Congrats on another record! clap

Did you get a pic of the Tilapia or any longears?

Re: One Very Beautiful Place to Fish! Also A Catch&Release Rio Record! - 10/05/15 11:10 PM

Yes Sir. Here are a couple of pictures of the biggest Tilapia. coolio I did catch some Longear but none of em made the highlight reel. hammer

Posted By: WCGunns

Re: One Very Beautiful Place to Fish! Also A Catch&Release Rio Record! - 10/06/15 12:50 AM

Real nice!

Re: One Very Beautiful Place to Fish! Also A Catch&Release Rio Record! - 10/06/15 11:32 AM

Thanks "WCGunns" for the reply. cheers
Posted By: J-Moe

Re: One Very Beautiful Place to Fish! Also A Catch&Release Rio Record! - 10/06/15 11:42 AM

Incredible pictures Chuck thumb

Looks like kayaking and wade fishing heaven. Thanks for sharing.

Re: One Very Beautiful Place to Fish! Also A Catch&Release Rio Record! - 10/06/15 11:58 AM

Thanks Jamie for the reply. cheers Beautiful country for sure. coolio Both the Frio and Nueces are great wading and kayak rivers. partyon Both rivers have had a good flow all year in that area. dance2 Hopefully we get a nice wet winter and spring this upcoming year. banana(Rain dance) I can do without the flooding. thumb
Posted By: Action_Jackson

Re: One Very Beautiful Place to Fish! Also A Catch&Release Rio Record! - 10/06/15 12:38 PM

Now that's a chunky talipia! Gills taste a lil better IMHO!
Posted By: Anchorman

Re: One Very Beautiful Place to Fish! Also A Catch&Release Rio Record! - 10/06/15 12:57 PM

That looks awesome. Congrats on the record too!

Re: One Very Beautiful Place to Fish! Also A Catch&Release Rio Record! - 10/06/15 01:15 PM

Thanks "AJ" and "Anchorman" for the replies. "AJ": Yes Sir that Tilapia is might fine! food I would also have to agree with you. A plate of Bluegill is very hard to beat! thumb "Anchorman": That part of Texas is AWESOME! Love fishing there this time of year. coolio
Posted By: butch sanders

Re: One Very Beautiful Place to Fish! Also A Catch&Release Rio Record! - 10/06/15 04:47 PM

nice place

is this your 2nd record?
Posted By: gar1970

Re: One Very Beautiful Place to Fish! Also A Catch&Release Rio Record! - 10/06/15 05:23 PM

congrats on another record banker thumb

Re: One Very Beautiful Place to Fish! Also A Catch&Release Rio Record! - 10/07/15 12:16 PM

Thanks "butch sanders" and "Gar 1970" for the replies. cheers "butch sanders": That would be my second record on the Nueces River. thumb
Posted By: Hunter498

Re: One Very Beautiful Place to Fish! Also A Catch&Release Rio Record! - 10/07/15 12:58 PM

Looks like a fantastic time, keep the fish and pics coming!!

Re: One Very Beautiful Place to Fish! Also A Catch&Release Rio Record! - 10/08/15 05:07 AM

Thanks "Hunter498" for the reply. cheers Yes Sir love posting fishing reports and adventurer. Will keep em coming! Also love reading other anglers post. This section rocks. rockon
Posted By: butch sanders

Re: One Very Beautiful Place to Fish! Also A Catch&Release Rio Record! - 10/09/15 12:23 PM

Originally Posted By: banker-always fishing
Thanks "butch sanders" and "Gar 1970" for the replies. cheers "butch sanders": That would be my second record on the Nueces River. thumb

YES

also love the quotation marks

Re: One Very Beautiful Place to Fish! Also A Catch&Release Rio Record! - 10/10/15 10:45 AM

Yea I do use a lot of those! hammer

Side Note: I hope to get back down there before winter. They got some really good rain this past week. Those rivers needed it. coolio
Posted By: Lead Pencil

Re: One Very Beautiful Place to Fish! Also A Catch&Release Rio Record! - 10/10/15 09:56 PM

What a Tilapia, Chuck!

Re: One Very Beautiful Place to Fish! Also A Catch&Release Rio Record! - 10/15/15 04:04 PM

Thanks Donnie for the reply! Good fighters on UL boxing and also very good eating! thumb
Posted By: Pop1655

Re: One Very Beautiful Place to Fish! Also A Catch&Release Rio Record! - 10/15/15 09:16 PM

I want that Rio!!!!
Good job buddy!

Re: One Very Beautiful Place to Fish! Also A Catch&Release Rio Record! - 10/20/15 01:38 PM

Thanks Mark! cheers I was hoping to make it up to your neck of the woods to fish the upper Guadalupe but got tied up fishing the Southwest hill country instead. thumb
Posted By: Laker One

Re: One Very Beautiful Place to Fish! Also A Catch&Release Rio Record! - 10/26/15 02:02 PM

Nice post Chuck. woot Gonna put the Southwest on my places to fish list this up coming spring! PM me on any information as to crossings.

Re: One Very Beautiful Place to Fish! Also A Catch&Release Rio Record! - 11/02/15 12:34 PM

Thanks Curtis for the reply! PM sent! cheers
Posted By: Laker One

Re: One Very Beautiful Place to Fish! Also A Catch&Release Rio Record! - 11/04/15 10:29 PM

Thanks Chuck! Will plan on hitting it this spring.

Re: One Very Beautiful Place to Fish! Also A Catch&Release Rio Record! - 11/10/15 06:01 AM

Originally Posted By: Laker One
Thanks Chuck! Will plan on hitting it this spring.

thumb
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: One Very Beautiful Place to Fish! Also A Catch&Release Rio Record! - 11/11/15 02:11 PM

Great pictures and some very nice fish. Don't see to many Tilapia catches. Great post and congrats on your record!

Side Note: How do Tilapia survive the winter times in those hill country rivers?

Re: One Very Beautiful Place to Fish! Also A Catch&Release Rio Record! - 11/17/15 01:57 PM

Thanks "Gitter" for the reply! cheers As for Tilapia surviving in those rivers I would think the following factors would play an important part. First winters in that part of Texas are not that severe. Second. There are a lot of springs that flow into those rivers that intern supply current which supplies a source of warm and a food source. I think Tilapia and Rios know where these springs are and will stay close by them during the coldest months. Third and final I have found some very deep pockets of water on the Nueces,Frio,and Sabinal rivers. The deeper water would also play a role in survival. This is just my opinion. On the size of some of the Tilapia I caught and saw they have survived in these rivers for a while. thumb
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum