Texas Fishing Forum

Few Perch

Posted By: SlowDown

Few Perch - 09/23/15 05:24 PM

Lake has dropped. Hydrilla is floating on top, out from the reeds. My hot spot is no longer holding fish, and they have not just moved further out. Had to work hard just to catch these five.

Re: Few Perch - 09/23/15 05:26 PM

Still have six in the freezer to go with these for a sunfish supper tonight.
Posted By: Tommar

Re: Few Perch - 09/23/15 06:02 PM

There's a couple of dandies in there though!
Posted By: Action_Jackson

Re: Few Perch - 09/23/15 06:51 PM

WTG! Nice n chunky...Should be some nice fillets!!!

Re: Few Perch - 09/23/15 07:57 PM

I decided to scale them and cook them whole this time. My wife likes them best that way.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Few Perch - 09/23/15 11:20 PM

Those should make a fine dinner. Nice catch! thumb

Re: Few Perch - 09/23/15 11:57 PM

Can't beat the flavor of bluegills and their cousins fried whole, on the bone. Man were they good. I took five out of the freezer and cooked ten in total, too many, had leftovers.. May not get to fish for sunnies anymore this year. My hot spot shut down and I can't reach other spots by tube. Will get after them again next spring.
Posted By: J-Moe

Re: Few Perch - 09/24/15 02:07 AM

Originally Posted By: fish 'till I drop
Lake has dropped. Hydrilla is floating on top, out from the reeds. My hot spot is no longer holding fish, and they have not just moved further out. Had to work hard just to catch these five.

Not a perch roflmao

Only 5 but they are some big'ens. thumb

Lake Somerville was 20 ft. high and a large number of spots I had at 8 ft. above normal are above my head now. I had to explore the shoreline all over again at normal level. I have found all the fish in hard bottom areas. I work the areas of rock outcropping with no cane. I've found some bigger ones on the deep drop-offs adjacent to these outcropping.

Re: Few Perch - 09/24/15 08:35 PM

I know they are not a yellow perch J-Moe, but lotta Texicans call 'em perch (grin). As to locations, I know where I could find some, however it is across the lake, way out of range of me in my float tube. I bass fish with my buddy in his boat, but that rascal has no appreciation for perch. Sometimes I wish I had not sold my boat!!! Thanks for the reply.
Posted By: J-Moe

Re: Few Perch - 09/24/15 09:35 PM

I know they are not a yellow perch J-Moe, but lotta Texicans call 'em perch (grin).

I know you do, it's just a running joke. If people ask me what I'm catching I say Bluegill or Sunfish. They look at me and say "Perch", LOL. It is what it is.

Re: Few Perch - 09/26/15 12:46 AM

Originally Posted By: J-Moe
I know they are not a yellow perch J-Moe, but lotta Texicans call 'em perch (grin).

I know you do, it's just a running joke. If people ask me what I'm catching I say Bluegill or Sunfish. They look at me and say "Perch", LOL. It is what it is.

LOL, yeah, this discussion comes up pretty often. If I weren't so hard headed. I would always call them sunfish.
Posted By: Dfitz

Re: Few Perch - 09/26/15 03:29 AM

Nice Redbreasts!
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Few Perch - 10/01/15 11:54 AM

Nice catch.
Posted By: JigandJeep

Re: Few Perch - 10/01/15 08:22 PM

I took my dad who was visiting from Michigan out to the Cedar Hill State Park. They have a "perch" pond there and when we were striking out on crappie he goes, "let's go up to that perch pond and see if we can get a few decent ones". "Dad, they're not perch, they're bluegill, Texans just call sunfish perch". "You're crazy, if they say they're perch then there's perch in there, you probably just don't know how to catch them". So we went up there and tried to catch the "perch". He believes me now.
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Few Perch - 10/02/15 01:16 PM

Nice slabs. woot
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum