Texas Fishing Forum

Joe Pool Is Back!

Posted By: Smithaven

Joe Pool Is Back! - 09/06/15 05:49 PM

The parks and Lynn Creek Marina reopened this past week. The fishing barge opened yesterday, and I went to check it out this morning. I took two rods and it quickly became apparent that was not going to work. Every cast got a bite for a couple of hours from sunup on. No way could I keep up with two rods.

The fish are in beautiful shape - fat as butterballs. While I did not catch any over 8 inches I caught a much bigger percentage of 7 inch fish than in previous years. It is obvious that they found plenty to eat while the lake was up, and the lack of fishing pressure was a bonus.

I released all I could, and gave the ones I deep hooked to a man fishing with his little boy. I went to a #6 barbless hook instead of my usual #8 barbed hook to make them easier to release unharmed.

The lake is at conservation pool and all the ramps are good. The state park remains closed.

Posted By: Action_Jackson

Re: Joe Pool Is Back! - 09/07/15 04:00 AM

Good deal...Im gonna have to go check em out soon!
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Joe Pool Is Back! - 09/07/15 11:47 AM

Nice report "Smithaven". Sounds like you found some descent fish. Joe Pool's future is looking pretty good. thumb
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Joe Pool Is Back! - 09/10/15 07:40 PM

Good post/report. Also that is one fat Bluegill! Good job Sir. woot
Posted By: Daniel Mtanous

Re: Joe Pool Is Back! - 09/12/15 06:54 PM

Did you fish at the section where you pay?

I went there on Monday and caught a bass from the deck using a white Road Runner with a white grub. It was about 9 P.M.; I sat on the side facing the rocks and the parking lot. Fished parallel to the deck, sitting on the right side and casting left. It was a nice one, looked young. Two ladies catching Crappy right off the rocks with minnows. Some gentlemen catching small catfish.

Saw a bass swim right next to me to investigate some shad then swam away. Looked about the same size as the one I caught.

Re: Joe Pool Is Back! - 09/12/15 07:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Daniel Mtanous
Did you fish at the section where you pay?

I fish off the spot you mentioned. I am not as nimble as I once was, so my fishing is pretty well restricted to docks and piers.

Re: Joe Pool Is Back! - 09/12/15 08:14 PM

Ok, Thank you for clarifying it. Could you tell me what you used?
Posted By: Dfitz

Re: Joe Pool Is Back! - 09/12/15 09:38 PM

Nice report, glad to hear things are looking up there thumb

Re: Joe Pool Is Back! - 09/12/15 11:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Daniel Mtanous
Ok, Thank you for clarifying it. Could you tell me what you used?

All the fish were caught using small pieces of nightcrawlers.

Re: Joe Pool Is Back! - 09/13/15 11:12 PM

I fished with nightcrawlers as well but didn't catch anything. I lost all my fish due to having to much slack when I set the hook.
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Joe Pool Is Back! - 09/16/15 08:00 PM

Nice report and nice fish. Good job Sir.
Posted By: Perchy Perch

Re: Joe Pool Is Back! - 09/17/15 09:21 PM

Quote:
I fished with nightcrawlers as well but didn't catch anything. I lost all my fish due to having to much slack when I set the hook.

Were you using a bobber? If so, maybe try and tight line them with 2-4 lb test.

Re: Joe Pool Is Back! - 09/18/15 05:04 AM

Originally Posted By: MulGogiHunter
Quote:

Were you using a bobber? If so, maybe try and tight line them with 2-4 lb test.

This is the type of rod/reel I was using, Zebco Dock Demon Combo, with the second to the smallest size plastic ball bobber available. I need to cut a few feet of my string. It should tighten up the slack and increase tension.
Posted By: crappieking95

Re: Joe Pool Is Back! - 09/18/15 05:08 AM

Just add some weights below the bobber, split shot weights

Re: Joe Pool Is Back! - 09/19/15 08:37 PM

Originally Posted By: crappieking95
Just add some weights below the bobber, split shot weights

I did but it really killed the "action". The fish are just to lazy to swallow it hole. I got far more takes without a weight.

I have since switch to a bobber with a weight on the bottom of it. Instead of running the line through both top and bottom, I just rig it through the bottom. I watched a video of "Uncle Steve" and switch to the same rig. Increased my takes immediately.

Re: Joe Pool Is Back! - 09/20/15 03:40 PM

Sounds like you could use a little help Daniel. I am usually at the Lynn creek Marina pier every Wednesday morning. Drop by if you like, and we will go over some of the finer points of sunfishing. I am the old coot in a khaki jump suit.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Joe Pool Is Back! - 09/20/15 03:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Smithaven
Sounds like you could use a little help Daniel. I am usually at the Lynn creek Marina pier every Wednesday morning. Drop by if you like, and we will go over some of the finer points of sunfishing. I am the old coot in a khaki jump suit.

"Smithaven" also knows a ton about sunfish and has caught his fair share! thumb

Re: Joe Pool Is Back! - 09/22/15 11:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Smithaven

This is what I use to catch panfish. smile

I'm going to trim the line and try to get out there on a Wednesday but in October. I spent all my spending monies. smile
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum