Texas Fishing Forum

Fly rod?

Posted By: WillieRip

Fly rod? - 09/04/15 03:03 PM

Anyone take bluegill on a fly rod?
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Fly rod? - 09/04/15 03:07 PM

You should get some pretty good replies. There are some super anglers who post here often that catch plenty of gills on the fly! hooked

Side Note: Great thread in this section titled "Sunfish Flies"! Awesome read. thumb
Posted By: J-Moe

Re: Fly rod? - 09/04/15 03:15 PM

Of course, lots of us do. Almost all my fishing is done with a fly rod, but especially Bluegill and Sunfish.
Posted By: Hunter498

Re: Fly rod? - 09/04/15 03:41 PM

Same here, all of mine are on a fly rod!!
Posted By: Dfitz

Re: Fly rod? - 09/04/15 03:49 PM

I'm a fly guy
Posted By: WillieRip

Re: Fly rod? - 09/04/15 05:07 PM

Any of you use live bait with fly gear?
Posted By: J-Moe

Re: Fly rod? - 09/04/15 06:49 PM

No, I don't.
Posted By: Techno2000

Re: Fly rod? - 09/04/15 09:44 PM

Originally Posted By: WillieRip

I have caught tons of Bluegills and Rios with Nightcrawler pieces on a Fly Rod.
Posted By: Kent Meadows aka Team Hooligan

Re: Fly rod? - 09/05/15 02:49 AM

tie up some San Juan worm pattern on a #8 hook...perfect color red small chenille and burn the tips just a tad to get a good wormy looking point like a red wiggle worm.
Posted By: Hunter498

Re: Fly rod? - 09/05/15 11:49 AM

Flies only!!!
Posted By: Pop1655

Re: Fly rod? - 09/05/15 02:04 PM

I've always had a 9' 4 wt rig and taken it many times. I wanted to like it more than I liked it. I'd stay with it for a while, but would usually revert back to spinning before the day was done.

I just picked up a little 6'6" 2 wt rig and it's been a game changer. Tons of fun, easy, no arm fatigue at all and makes any bite a good bite. A little more difficult to throw halfway across the lake, but MUCH easier to slip in to the tight spots where you really need to be.

I'm really enjoying it.
Posted By: Peytonator

Re: Fly rod? - 09/05/15 04:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Kent Meadows aka Team Hooligan
tie up some San Juan worm pattern on a #8 hook...perfect color red small chenille and burn the tips just a tad to get a good wormy looking point like a red wiggle worm.

He lives!
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Fly rod? - 09/05/15 08:18 PM

Love catching Sunfish on the fly. I have only been fly fishing for a little over a year.
Posted By: charlief1

Re: Fly rod? - 09/06/15 04:21 AM

I have before and will again. Usually I use a strike indicator or 2 with worms or a stick bobber. It does take some practice to not throw the worm off but I've caught more than a few this way. wink Still prefer a fly in flowing water, but when they want to be finicky the worm can work charms on them. grin
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Fly rod? - 09/06/15 05:36 AM

I don't use live bait with my fly rod. Only flies.
Posted By: jagg

Re: Fly rod? - 09/08/15 10:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Peytonator
Originally Posted By: Kent Meadows aka Team Hooligan

He lives!

Indeed!
Posted By: karpbuster

Re: Fly rod? - 09/08/15 10:06 PM

I like a 7' 2wt for gills. You can get a small hook/no weight and worm pieces. Lots of fun.
Posted By: Pop1655

Re: Fly rod? - 09/09/15 12:30 PM

I don't want to offend or argue with the purists. I do agree picking the right fly is a big part of the deal.
I will have to add though, that in tough times or if you just feel the need for some action, mealworms from the pet store can be very entertaining without the hassle of regular worms.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum