Texas Fishing Forum

Road Trip Find

Posted By: jagg

Road Trip Find - 08/13/15 06:45 PM

Found this guy just outside San Angelo. Was traveling there on business. Thought it may give some insight to Central TX summer hopper patterns. Especially compared to the summer hoppers I've seen here in SE Colorado.

Bad pic but they are very red, almost look pinkish in they day time.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Road Trip Find - 08/13/15 09:30 PM

Bait! hooked
Posted By: Meadowlark

Re: Road Trip Find - 08/14/15 02:11 PM

The top one is classic for bait. Excellent... and the one to also use as a pattern for tying flys.

That second one I don't usually mess with...not as good and they tend to fly a lot...have black and green wings.
Posted By: Smithaven

Re: Road Trip Find - 08/14/15 06:19 PM

The key to using grasshoppers is to keep them small. A one to 1-1/2 inch size is great.

Re: Road Trip Find - 08/14/15 08:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Meadowlark
The top one is classic for bait. Excellent... and the one to also use as a pattern for tying flys.

That second one I don't usually mess with...not as good and they tend to fly a lot...have black and green wings.
I did notice those red buggers fly quite a bit and had black wings with a weird band on them. My daughter thought it was a roach flying till it landed. Nice to know. Thanks Meadowlark!

Re: Road Trip Find - 08/14/15 08:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Smithaven
The key to using grasshoppers is to keep them small. A one to 1-1/2 inch size is great.

I agree that all sunfish like small grasshoppers, but I've seen some larger bluegill, longear, redbreast and greenies pop a bigger grasshopper and other winged terrestrials to stun/kill it and then eat it. Thanks for the feed back SH!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum