Texas Fishing Forum

ake Austin Blue Gills/ Sunfish ???

Posted By: larryvt

ake Austin Blue Gills/ Sunfish ??? - 08/12/15 08:08 PM

Last year I Had a difficult time to get a mess of gills from LA. Seems like the Grass Carp really messed that lake up. I know about the new brush piles and wonder if the brush or anywhere else is holding and fish? I suspect maybe a few Crappie hanging around the brush ?
Thank you.......
Posted By: SlowDown

Re: ake Austin Blue Gills/ Sunfish ??? - 08/13/15 01:22 AM

I used to catch lots of large bluegills in LA under overhanging tree limbs. After the vegetation disappeared, they disappeared. Now, unlike before the grass removal, I never get bluegill bites on plastics when bass fishing. I wonder if they are still in the lake, at other locations, or if removal of their cover resulted in bass cleaning them out. I wish I knew.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: ake Austin Blue Gills/ Sunfish ??? - 08/13/15 01:51 AM

Lake Austin was one heck of a Sunfish lake a couple of years ago. coolio I have caught many of nice fish off of that lake. breakdance "fish 'till I drop" is 100 percent correct. Since the grass carp destroyed all the grass beds there went the Sunfish. hammer As for the brush piles you can usually pick up some nice Bluegill and Redear off of em. hmmm Overhanging tree limbs will hold the Redbreast. Hopefully the sunnies will adapt and the fishing will improve over time. thumb
Posted By: Laker One

Re: ake Austin Blue Gills/ Sunfish ??? - 08/13/15 04:28 PM

Originally Posted By: fish 'till I drop
I used to catch lots of large bluegills in LA under overhanging tree limbs. After the vegetation disappeared, they disappeared. Now, unlike before the grass removal, I never get bluegill bites on plastics when bass fishing. I wonder if they are still in the lake, at other locations, or if removal of their cover resulted in bass cleaning them out. I wish I knew.

Totally Agree. I think the "Sunnies" are still there. Start fishing drop offs and docks. I am going to fish Austin in October and plan on fishing brush piles,drop offs,and tree overhangs.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: ake Austin Blue Gills/ Sunfish ??? - 08/13/15 05:12 PM

Same thing happened to Lake Conroe back in the day when I used to fish local club Bass Tournaments in the late 70's and 80's, and Conroe was one of the best lakes for bass in the state.
The locals complained loudly about all the vegetation and TPWD dumped those dreaded grass carp into the lake.
It's not ever going to be the lake it once was!

Re: ake Austin Blue Gills/ Sunfish ??? - 08/13/15 06:31 PM

I will try to fish LA in the morning. Last year, the docks were dead and the drop offs were not good either. Those are not power poles on the back of them bass boats. They are Grass Carp harpoons.
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: ake Austin Blue Gills/ Sunfish ??? - 08/15/15 07:52 PM

Getting rid of all or most of a water bodies grass beds only benefits the recreational boats such as your wake,ski,pleasure,and jet skis. It in no way helps the fishing no matter what species you are targeting.

Re: ake Austin Blue Gills/ Sunfish ??? - 08/15/15 08:02 PM

Fished LA on Friday morning around the brush piles. Caught enough for a couple meals. Largest was 10 1/4 inch long ear.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum