Texas Fishing Forum

Stain around fingernails

Posted By: SlowDown

Stain around fingernails - 08/07/15 01:18 PM

I've noticed that after I catch bluegills my fingers are stained all around and under my fingernails. At first, I thought it was night crawler poop that was causing it, but I'm beginning to believe it is the protective coating on the gills that is the source of the stain. Do any of you have the same problem? Do you have a way to bleach it out? The way I know it's not coming from night crawlers is that the same thing happens when I fish with super worms.
Posted By: joebeasley

Re: Stain around fingernails - 08/07/15 02:11 PM

It's the stuff that's in the container that holds the worms. (Don't know what it is called.) I run my fingers through the water after I put a worm on the hook to cut down on the amount that is there at the end of the day.

Re: Stain around fingernails - 08/07/15 03:30 PM

Joe, that's what I thought at first, but I started changing out the black dirty stuff in the night crawler containers with clean bedding and around my fingernails continues to get stained. I even stopped using night crawlers for awhile and used super worms that are in clean bedding. I'm beginning to think it is from the fish, but I don't know. Thanks for the reply.
Posted By: jeffnsa

Re: Stain around fingernails - 08/07/15 03:55 PM

The fish slime will work its way under and around fingermnails and dry to a tackiness quickly wich traps dust and dirt causing staining.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Stain around fingernails - 08/07/15 04:24 PM

Never had the problem and I have been catching Gills and using worms for a very long time! hmmm I am also not allergic to poison ivy! eeks Guess I am just lucky. thumb
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Stain around fingernails - 08/07/15 05:33 PM

noidea
Posted By: sasquatch

Re: Stain around fingernails - 08/10/15 02:24 AM

Most worm bedding is made from mulched newspaper mixed with peat. It's probably the ink getting hydrated and staining.
Posted By: Techno2000

Re: Stain around fingernails - 08/10/15 12:27 PM

Originally Posted By: fish 'till I drop
I've noticed that after I catch bluegills my fingers are stained all around and under my fingernails. At first, I thought it was night crawler poop that was causing it, but I'm beginning to believe it is the protective coating on the gills that is the source of the stain. Do any of you have the same problem? Do you have a way to bleach it out? The way I know it's not coming from night crawlers is that the same thing happens when I fish with super worms.

Use... Fast Orange to clean your hands.

Permatex Fast Orange Fine Pumice Lotion Hand Cleaner (1 Gallon)
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/perma...55-02/7040114-P
Posted By: Smithaven

Re: Stain around fingernails - 08/10/15 04:31 PM

A little good soap and a small stiff finger nail brush will clean you right up.

Carrying bar soap in the tackle bag is a problem. Take a tube of toothpaste. It does the job and does not create a mess in the tackle bag.

Re: Stain around fingernails - 08/10/15 04:59 PM

Nope, soap and brush won't get it off Smithaven. Fast Orange might do it, but I probably won't order a big bottle of it. Maybe I can find a small bottle in a local store. Thanks for the replies.
Posted By: Techno2000

Re: Stain around fingernails - 08/10/15 06:56 PM

Originally Posted By: fish 'till I drop
Nope, soap and brush won't get it off Smithaven. Fast Orange might do it, but I probably won't order a big bottle of it. Maybe I can find a small bottle in a local store. Thanks for the replies.
It's like jeffnsa said, a combination of dirt and fish slime, I get the same problem.If it's really bad I have to push the Fast Orange into my fingernails wash my hands twice.Most places should carry small bottles of Fast Orange.

Re: Stain around fingernails - 08/10/15 10:17 PM

I'll look for it Techno. Glad you suggested a product I can use. Many thanks.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum