Texas Fishing Forum

Brim Bait

Posted By: Dutch1947

Brim Bait - 08/05/15 02:36 PM

I have been told that some bass fishermen use brim for bait to catch big bass. I was interested in catching some big bull brim just for the fun of it. I know the grand kids would have a ball catching some. Does anyone know if Lake Fork, or a Lake near Fork has some big brim in it? If so, where should I look to find them this time of year.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Brim Bait - 08/05/15 02:43 PM

Bream. Any dock or boat ramp at Fork. Crickets or worms.
Posted By: fish-n-quackers

Re: Brim Bait - 08/05/15 02:49 PM

True, they eat crickets by the truck load, and worms are kinda messy, try using "Berkley's Niblets" in different colors a ton come in a small glass container, but to get the bug boys to bite it might take live bait. this time of year the big ones tend to seek out a little deeper water. Good luck
Posted By: Double K Outdoors

Re: Brim Bait - 08/05/15 03:37 PM

Berkely Gulp Maggots work great and because they are a medium soft plastic they tend to last more than a single fish.

I BUY THESE in pink. Thay last forever and catch super fast. I think I've had the same bottle for like 2 years now.

Oh they stink, but they work. Just don't lick your fingers after handling them. The smell alone would keep you from doing it.
Posted By: Bayou Burner

Re: Brim Bait - 08/05/15 03:38 PM

Gulp Maggots work well.
Posted By: Mulholland

Re: Brim Bait - 08/05/15 04:00 PM

red worms is really all you need, they can't resist them. If you put a red worm on a little gold hook and some light line under a cork and dangle it in fornt of a panfish, they will inhale it lol
Posted By: salex

Re: Brim Bait - 08/05/15 04:56 PM

Use a size 8 or 10 "bream" hook. Use the cheapest, gummy white bread and roll into into a ball the size of a pea. Small pinch sinker all under a bobber about 18 inches. Any lake or pond will do. If you can find something around a bush or tree even better.
Posted By: MtnDew

Re: Brim Bait - 08/05/15 06:40 PM

All the above are great and I have used all those baits, but I have also taken some old bass worm pieces and cut them into tiny strips and caught tons of brim on them. Bright orange or a light brown are killer colors.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Brim Bait - 08/05/15 06:55 PM

Originally Posted By: MtnDew
All the above are great and I have used all those baits, but I have also taken some old bass worm pieces and cut them into tiny strips and caught tons of brim on them. Bright orange or a light brown are killer colors.

Plus #1. Berkley makes a very good trout worm-natural color! Works GREAT also. hooked

Re: Brim Bait - 08/05/15 07:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Dutch1947
I have been told that some bass fishermen use brim for bait to catch big bass. I was interested in catching some big bull brim just for the fun of it. I know the grand kids would have a ball catching some. Does anyone know if Lake Fork, or a Lake near Fork has some big brim in it? If so, where should I look to find them this time of year.

Right now I am catching good size Bluegill down here in south central Texas by docks and in dock slips. The docks are in water 10 to 12 feet deep and the fish are hanging close to the bottom. Use live worms for best results. thumb
Posted By: Blues

Re: Brim Bait - 08/05/15 08:28 PM

Not sure anything artificial will out fish night crawlers in my area. Red worms would be second, then grasshoppers.
Posted By: Dfitz

Re: Brim Bait - 08/05/15 11:10 PM

Some nice redears on the dam
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Brim Bait - 08/06/15 05:26 AM

Originally Posted By: banker-always fishing
Originally Posted By: Dutch1947

Right now I am catching good size Bluegill down here in south central Texas by docks and in dock slips. The docks are in water 10 to 12 feet deep and the fish are hanging close to the bottom. Use live worms for best results. thumb

Everything banker is saying plus I have been catching some very nice Bluegill while fishing for Crappie. Finding em on brush piles in 14 to 20 feet of water. Also mid morning getting a bunch in dock slips. Docks are in 10 to 12 feet of water. Good luck and hope you find a bunch.
Posted By: highcountry

Re: Brim Bait - 08/07/15 12:55 AM

Noooo... bass guys are using gills to catch trophies?!? grin They'll never admit it, but you bet some do! Have put a few 24"+ on the bank that way myself. wink 4-5" work best, and they must be lively. We spend our time focusing on big sunnies, but always have a rod or two with a small gill on for big cats, bowfin, gar or bass.

Re: Brim Bait - 08/07/15 04:31 AM

Originally Posted By: highcountry
Noooo... bass guys are using gills to catch trophies?!? grin They'll never admit it, but you bet some do! Have put a few 24"+ on the bank that way myself. wink 4-5" work best, and they must be lively. We spend our time focusing on big sunnies, but always have a rod or two with a small gill on for big cats, bowfin, gar or bass.

Plus #1 Totally Agree however there are a lot of Bass Anglers who only use artificial and nothing else. Those will the exception! thumb
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Brim Bait - 08/07/15 05:44 PM

Bluegill also work great on Flatheads. hooked
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum