Texas Fishing Forum

Marble Falls Sunnies!

Posted By: banker-always fishing

Marble Falls Sunnies! - 08/05/15 01:55 PM

Made my annual trip to the Marble Falls area and the bite was good. I fished both Lake Marble Falls and the Johnson Park areas. Fished from 7:30am till 11:30am. Caught a bunch of Redbreast in the 8 to 9" range,Redear in the 8 to 9" range,Bluegill in the 7 to 8" range,and rounding out the catch were a couple of fat Bass in the 2 to 3 pound range. After a morning in Marble Falls I headed back south to Johnson City where I quickly fished the Perdernales River and caught a few nice Bluegill in the 7"range. All fish were healthy,fat,and full of fight.Fish were caught on worms with a bottom technique.Fish were released to fight again. Water bodies were in good condition with good current. Fish on Lake Marble Falls were staged by structure such as docks and over hanging trees. Johnson Park fish were hanging close to brush piles by the bank. Finished the trip with a GREAT MEAL at the Hill Country Cutting Board Restaurant located in beautiful Johnson City. Fishing Texas. It just don't get any better. fish

Posted By: etexbasser

Re: Marble Falls Sunnies! - 08/05/15 02:21 PM

Nice post Banker. I would like it if you would talk a little bit about your bottom technique. Especially hooks and sinkers. I am not trying to steal your secrets, but I am still struggling to use bottom techniques due to statying hung up all the time. Part of the problem is when I am in Louisiana, the rivers and bayous I fish have so much brush on bottom, it is hard to not stay hung up. I have been experimenting with different rigs and catching a few, but still having problems.
Again, I enjoy your posts and pictures. I would really like to make a trip and fish with you some day.

later...don

Re: Marble Falls Sunnies! - 08/05/15 02:35 PM

Thanks "etexbasser"for the reply. cheers Fishing off of the bottom can be very hard at times especially like you stated the bottom has a lot of trash or hang ups. When the bottoms have a lot of hang ups I switch to a float or a slip float and fish the bait close to the bottom as possible. Depending on the time of year a lot of Sunfish will be suspended and the float technique works good under those conditions. Bottom fishing is GREAT when there are not that many snags around. I have also learned where a lot of snags are at just by fishing an area a lot. Of course an area can change with strong current and flooding. eeks

Side note: I use a size six cricket hook, with a size five shot. The shot is placed approx 5 to 7 inches above the hook. (Weight size and location can depend on the type of water body,current,and bottom.) A lot of friends who I fish with use a drop shot and usually out fish me every time. I also go through a lot of hooks and shots over the year. Getting snagged is just part of catching BIG fish. Big fish love hanging around brush piles and structure. thumb

Re: Marble Falls Sunnies! - 08/05/15 02:41 PM

Originally Posted By: etexbasser
Nice post Banker. I would like it if you would talk a little bit about your bottom technique. Especially hooks and sinkers. I am not trying to steal your secrets, but I am still struggling to use bottom techniques due to statying hung up all the time. Part of the problem is when I am in Louisiana, the rivers and bayous I fish have so much brush on bottom, it is hard to not stay hung up. I have been experimenting with different rigs and catching a few, but still having problems.
Again, I enjoy your posts and pictures. I would really like to make a trip and fish with you some day.

later...don

Side Note: One more very important item. You may want to speed up your retrieve. Bottoms with a of of hang ups can be a huge problem if you leave your bait still on the bottom. The current will usually rap your bait or shot around a log,rock,or some other hang up. taz
Posted By: Bob9

Re: Marble Falls Sunnies! - 08/05/15 03:51 PM

Nice catching, Chuck.

Bob
clap

Re: Marble Falls Sunnies! - 08/05/15 04:04 PM

Thanks Bob! cheers
Posted By: dafanman

Re: Marble Falls Sunnies! - 08/05/15 04:13 PM

clap clap clap

Re: Marble Falls Sunnies! - 08/05/15 04:30 PM

Originally Posted By: dafanman
clap clap clap

Thanks Robert! cheers

Side Note: One of the Redbreast I caught wanted to know how you were doing and was looking forward to seeing you at your spot! coolio

Re: Marble Falls Sunnies! - 08/05/15 06:12 PM

roflmao
Posted By: etexbasser

Re: Marble Falls Sunnies! - 08/05/15 09:19 PM

Thanks Banker, you answered my questions in those two paragraphs.
Posted By: Dfitz

Re: Marble Falls Sunnies! - 08/05/15 10:47 PM

Originally Posted By: banker-always fishing
Originally Posted By: dafanman
clap clap clap

Thanks Robert! cheers

Side Note: One of the Redbreast I caught wanted to know how you were doing and was looking forward to seeing you at your spot! coolio

When you are good enough to name them, well bow_down

Nice report Banker.

Re: Marble Falls Sunnies! - 08/05/15 11:13 PM

Banker,

You tell em as soon as I get all these folks squared away with Windows 10 we will have a face to face conversation bannana2

Re: Marble Falls Sunnies! - 08/06/15 11:03 AM

Thanks Andrew for the reply. cheers "etexbasser": Glad I was able to help out. Good luck and I hope you find the BIG ones. hooked Robert: Maybe you can make a windows updated deal with the Redbreast and Bluegill. I will let you explane it to them. nuts hammer
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Marble Falls Sunnies! - 08/09/15 06:41 PM

Will be in Marble Falls this week on business. You can bet I will find some fishing time. Nice fish Chuck and a good report. Will post a follow up on how I do.

Re: Marble Falls Sunnies! - 08/11/15 12:41 AM

Thanks Curtis for the reply. Fish by structure on the main lake. Brush piles and tree overhangs in the park. thumb

Re: Marble Falls Sunnies! - 08/11/15 04:46 PM

Arrived here in Marble Falls yesterday. Business went good and I had a chance to fish from 7pm till dark. The bite was good on the River (Lake Marble Falls). I fished by a couple of inlets and some docks and caught some nice Bluegill and a few Bass. Had something big break off after a short fight. Going to hit Johnson Park in the afternoon after a morning meeting and then head home.

Side Note: Had a super dinner at the Bluebonnet Cafe in Marble Falls. You got to have desert and a piece of their chocolate cream pie. Will have tomorrows dinner at the Hill Country Cutting Board in Johnson City on my way back home. Will let you know how the Johnson Park bite was.

Re: Marble Falls Sunnies! - 08/12/15 11:31 AM

Thanks Curtis for the update! If I had the time I would have ate at the Blue Bonnet. It was super packed when I drove by it and I decided to hit the HC Cutting Board. Anyway glad you found some fish and that your business meetings are going well. thumb

Side Note: Have a safe trip back! coolio

Re: Marble Falls Sunnies! - 08/13/15 04:52 PM

Fished Johnson Park yesterday afternoon during the HEAT of the day. Fished from 1pm till 3pm. Bite was very slow and only caught six fish. Four Redbreast 8" range and two Bluegill 7"range. Water there was stained and the creek channel is in good shape. Did not see any Rios.

Side Note: Had dinner at the Hill Country Cutting Board. Chicken fired steak,baked potato,green beans,rolls,and plenty of sweet tea. Now back on the Crappie trail. Going to be doing some night fishing the next couple of weeks.

Re: Marble Falls Sunnies! - 08/15/15 01:57 PM

Thanks for the update Curtis. cheers As for the Crappie trail looks like the far east is still going good. PM sent. thumb

Re: Marble Falls Sunnies! - 08/17/15 06:57 PM

Thanks Chuck for the info! I think it's going to be a great fall and winter.

Re: Marble Falls Sunnies! - 08/18/15 05:01 AM

Originally Posted By: Laker One
Thanks Chuck for the info! I think it's going to be a great fall and winter.

thumb
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Marble Falls Sunnies! - 08/20/15 01:38 PM

You always have those Marble Falls Sunnies dialed in. Good job.

Side Note: Love that Marble Falls area especially the Llano River and Lake Buchanan. You need to fish Buchanan for some Bluegill. Bet there are some nice ones in that lake. It is one heck of a Striper lake. Also got to eat at the Blue Bonnet Cafe in Marble Falls.

Re: Marble Falls Sunnies! - 08/26/15 11:57 AM

Thanks "Gitter" for the reply. cheers Buchanan should have some nice Bluegill. It is on my radar screen for sure. eeks Just about every time I pass the Blue Bonnet Cafe it is wall to wall people and their parking lot is completely full. bang I have eaten there several times in the past and it is simply FANTASTIC! No wounder it stays packed most of the time. coolio
Posted By: crapyetr

Re: Marble Falls Sunnies! - 08/26/15 12:07 PM

if ur ever n Kingsland, stop at Crazy Girls...they make everything from scratch...bread / pastries...large CFS is the size of the plate...onion rings r different from ne i've ever eaten...atmosphere is country...gr8 place

oh yea, caught these 2 n the canal behind my cabin

Re: Marble Falls Sunnies! - 08/30/15 04:30 PM

Thanks "Gitter" and "crapyetr" for the replies. cheers "Gitter": I have fished Inks before and only caught a few small ones. eeks Me and Robert fished a spot on LBJ two years ago and caught a mess of nice fat Bluegill all in the 8" to 9" range. clap Would love to fish Buchanan for some sunnies before cold weather sets in. coolio As for the Bluebonnet Cafe. It is always SUPER BUSY when I go by there. bang "Crapyetr": I will give Crazy Girls a try for sure. thumb Always love trying new places that serve good home cooking. food

"Gitter": Any updated fishing reports for Buchanan? hmmm
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Marble Falls Sunnies! - 09/04/15 05:20 AM

Nice fish "crapyetr". Gonna give Crazy Girls a try. I fish Lake Buchanan a lot and travel right through Kingsland. Chuck: Will also give the Cutting Board a try.

Re: Marble Falls Sunnies! - 09/08/15 10:57 AM

Won't go wrong "Gitter"! food

Re: Marble Falls Sunnies! - 09/10/15 07:33 PM

Ate at the Crazy Girl Cafe in Kingsland on my way back from Inks Lake State Park. The food is FANTASTIC! Had the chicken fried steak. Great place with friendly/good service. Super place! food food

Re: Marble Falls Sunnies! - 09/12/15 05:25 AM

Ate at the Crazy Girl Cafe in Kingsland on my way back from Inks Lake State Park. The food is FANTASTIC! Had the chicken fried steak. Great place with friendly/good service. Super place! food food

wopics

Side Note: Next time I am in that neck of the woods I will give it a try! thumb

Re: Marble Falls Sunnies! - 09/23/15 01:10 PM

wopics

Yea I should have taken a picture! hammer

Re: Marble Falls Sunnies! - 09/26/15 11:27 AM

wopics

Yea I should have taken a picture! hammer

Yep! hammer

NOTE: IMAGE SHACK WHERE I STORE MY FORUM PHOTOS CRASHED AND A LOT OF MY POSTED PHOTOS WERE REMOVED AS A RESULT. hammer
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum