Texas Fishing Forum

Ouch! That hurt!

Posted By: Smithaven

Ouch! That hurt! - 05/16/15 03:56 PM

I set the hook on something this morning and the hook and sinker flew out and the hook lodged in my cheek just below my left eye.

None of the usual tricks worked and I ended up in the emergency room to get the hook cut out. Ouch!
Posted By: kjwolvy

Re: Ouch! That hurt! - 05/16/15 04:11 PM

Once I was fishing with the wife and her kid. I caught a fish and I meant to show her where I caught it. When I was on the backswing of my cast I snagged 'something'. It was her kid. Sat in the ER with him with a Rooster Tail stuck in his head.
Posted By: CRAPPIEJIGN

Re: Ouch! That hurt! - 05/16/15 09:56 PM

Oh my!

Reminds me of a trip to Colorado in the 70s. Mixed family sort of vacation.

Long story short. I was preparing to make a forward cast with the tiny lure tied on the end of the line of the spinning outfit.

Like - KJOWOLVY mentioned in his post, I felt a resistance as I powerstroked the rod foward - coupled with a slight singing of the drag - as if I snagged.

Snagged alright. Hooked a friend ( around the age of 8 in the head. He went running off and screaming through the bushes to the camp site. Despite my efforts to tell him to stop, all I could do was to keep the bail open on the spinning reel as line continued to peel off it.

Removal of the hook was completed at camp. No trip to the ER. The treble hooks on that tiny lure were sharp!

Jeff
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Ouch! That hurt! - 05/17/15 12:23 AM

"OUCH"! OMG

Glad you are OK. It could have been a whole lot worst. frkazoid
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Ouch! That hurt! - 05/17/15 01:57 PM

Glad you are OK. As already been said,it could have been a lot worst.

Side Note: I have had that done a time or two over the years.
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Ouch! That hurt! - 05/18/15 01:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Gitter Done

Plus #1.
Posted By: highcountry

Re: Ouch! That hurt! - 05/18/15 01:06 PM

Every time I read stories like this the thought of crimping the barbs on all my artificials crosses my mind... Not a bad idea.
Posted By: Dfitz

Re: Ouch! That hurt! - 05/18/15 07:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Gitter Done

Posted By: jagg

Re: Ouch! That hurt! - 05/19/15 11:09 PM

Originally Posted By: highcountry
Every time I read stories like this the thought of crimping the barbs on all my artificials crosses my mind... Not a bad idea.

yup. Glad it worked out for you, SH!
Posted By: ckwilson25

Re: Ouch! That hurt! - 05/20/15 08:05 PM

Dang that sounds like a close call. Glad you are ok.
Posted By: Action_Jackson

Re: Ouch! That hurt! - 05/21/15 05:28 AM

Wooo...could've been a lot worse being that close to your eye! Glad you're ok an better...take care an see you soon on the water
Posted By: MHawk82

Re: Ouch! That hurt! - 05/24/15 05:56 AM

I sunk a 1/0 hook fly in my back, through a fly vest and shirt, in a place that I couldn't reach. That was a really fun trip. I've also lodged a #8 right into my chin. Wind and fly rods are a great mix. Glad to see you made it out without it lodging in the eye. Good luck on the healing process.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum