Texas Fishing Forum

Brother in laws pond

Posted By: jeffnsa

Brother in laws pond - 05/07/15 02:24 PM

I went fishing to stock my brother in laws small pond (1/3-1/2acre close to twenty feet deep in the middle) during the winter but I haven't seen anysigns of life in there until last weekend. I finally had a chance to go by there and just that morning they had finally seen a bunch of small 1-2 in minnows all over the place, which confused me since no minnows had been put in. I check them out and they are fingerling bass everywhere. We only put in 4 small bass we caught (legal size) and about 90 gills so this came as a real suprise and i can see one of the bass sitting on a nest. I haven't seen any gills on any nest yet but I caught a few and ther colors where amazing but dark, so they should be starting soon. Small frogs and tadpoles of every size make up the main food source and you can't move a foot along the bank without steping on a few dozen, water bugs and crickets abound but worms still catch them.
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Brother in laws pond - 05/07/15 02:33 PM

Hopefully your pond will start producing some nice fish. Keep us posted.

Side Note: You ought to order some of those "Trophy Bluegill" from "TN Pond Manager". You would have one heck of a pond! coolio
Posted By: Smithaven

Re: Brother in laws pond - 05/07/15 02:36 PM

Sounds like the makings for a great Bluegill pond.
Posted By: jeffnsa

Re: Brother in laws pond - 05/07/15 06:44 PM

I need to throw in a catfish or two or dozen. there is a dedicated well to keep it airiated and add water to every other week.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Brother in laws pond - 05/09/15 12:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Smithaven
Sounds like the makings for a great Bluegill pond.

Plus #1. Deep ponds also can hold some nice fish. cheers
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Brother in laws pond - 05/11/15 06:09 PM

I would stock that pond with some nice Coppernose Bluegill,bass,and some catfish. Put some structure in there and you will have one heck of a fishing hole.
Posted By: Rhaider

Re: Brother in laws pond - 05/11/15 11:48 PM

+1 on the coppernose. Those get huge!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum